Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Panel Failures - VW Customer Services Statement

My panel no longer displays the state of the batteries (leisure or main). A few days ago the panel lit up when I entered the van which it hadn't done previously or since. Was this an indicator of a problem with the charger? At the moment I'm camping at Keswick without any indication as to the state of the batteries. I'm hooked up to the mains so hopefully I'll be able to start the engine when ready to move off.

See Combi instrument

I have just been to put the fridge on as i have conected the hook up at home ready to escape for the bank hol. On the control panel every thing seems normal. however when i put the key in the ignition a message appears in the display - see combi instrument. i have checked the manual but can't find any referance to this.

does anyone know what this means ?

Thanks Paul

Re: See Combi instrument

I think it means your control panel display is set to display the ambient temperature but
When the ignition is on it will be displayed in the mfd on the instrument cluster it is quite normal
Just change your display to something else :thumb

I too am having problems with the Camper Control Panel display becoming un readable. I was wondering what was involved in getting this repaired. My van was new in April 09 and has done only 41000 miles. :help

steve crowe said:
I too am having problems with the Camper Control Panel display becoming un readable. I was wondering what was involved in getting this repaired. My van was new in April 09 and has done only 41000 miles. :help

I would have a chat to your dealer about a goodwill contribution , because a replacement unit is now over £600 !!

Good luck

My dealer, Benfield Motors in Newcastle, approached VW for a Factory good will discount and got 0%, zero, nothing!

So for a faulty camper control panel display, they had to replaced the entire control panel (which had been repaired 18months ago under warrenty) at a final invoice total charge of £671.96 which seems incredibly expensive to me!

Benfield Motors did discount the labour costs which saved me about £35.

I paid the invoice because I felt I had no other option, the van is useless to me without a functioning Control Panel, but I am wondering what my best approach is now.

Do I write a letter to VW or do I contact Watchdog, Top Gear and anyone else to tell them that the new VW camper is £50k of cheap parts, poor build quality, and disappointing customer service?

Sell it before anything else goes wrong?

Just do nothing and grimace?

I would have suggested speaking to Customer Care as your first port of call, and ask them and then the van centre if they would contribute towards it. Labour charge should be minimal as no coding involved, takes ten minutes to fit (if that) and change language to English etc...

Cheers

Thanks for your suggestion Alex but the Van Centre have already asked VW factory for a contribution but were offer absolutely zero contribution.

Do you have an address or phone number that I could use to pursue VW further?

Not sure where this conversation is going, if anywhere but if anyone needs a permanent control knob fix let me know....

Regards Volksvans

VW Customer Care negotiated a discount with me which I wasn't happy with but agreed too but by the time everything was recalculated the saving was not as good as it first appeared.

I have asked if I can escalate the matter further and VW Customer Care stated that I couldn't do that!

They did agree to discuss the matter again with the local van centre though.

It does appear to be extortionately expensive to repair, or replace, a faulty control panel especially when this fault can not be considered to be fair wear and tear. Furthermore this is my second faulty control panel in since I bought the van new in 2009.

Finally negotiated a satisfactory discount with VW customer care. Cheque will be in the post soon. :)

Mines just bust. Its in for its first service so they can fix it along with the broken roof light.

Far far to fragile.

rob

Just in for its first service.
Upstairs light, Control Panel and little black lugs holding the hob pan supports are all being replaced under warranty. What I did not expect, as there had been no idication of a problem, was both Turbochargers are being replaced under warranty. I dread to think how much this all would have cost had I to pay for it.

rob

Although disappointed with the number of issues I have had with my beloved van. I must commend VW Citygate, Wooburn Green for fixing all the problems and more.
Excellent service, way beyond what I had expected.

Work -

first service ( about 20,000 miles ) - paid standard fee.
rear tyre fixed - free.

Upstairs reading light renewed - warranty
Control Panel renewed - warranty
Gas hob pan support bushes replaced - warranty
Twin turbochargers replaced - warranty

Off to Italy on Sunday for a week - feeling happy.

Sounds like another owners survey is needed (like roof corrosion at COTF) To my mind 1 in 20 is not an acceptable failure rate! It needed a gathering of data like that to make them admit there was a problem they should address.

On a personal note, our control panel has been changed TWICE and the Cali is only two years old, so looks like this could be an annual bill, (not one I’m looking forward to at £600 ish) and I can tell you it is very inconvenient to be stuck on the top of a mountain in the West Highlands with the roof refusing to retract and the nearest dealer the other side of Scotland.

Why is it that VW spoil what is a brilliant vehicle by not addressing long running “known faults” We buy these very expensive vehicles with our hearts, we want to love them, but boy, isn’t it a troubled relationship at times!

Steve,

Can I ask what discount you finally got? Mine is on its way out!

Mine is a 2009 Cali; the hot weather in France this year seemed to start the problem.

Thanks Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've got dead pixel lines on mine. (2008 reg)

The unit was replaced once in 2009 under warantee but not covered now so would have to foot the bill.

Currently the main issue is can's read water tank levels... I can live it it for now but it's gradually getting worse.

if anyone does find a way to repair / replace just the LCD display that would be great.

Thanks

pete

Out of interest - does anyone know if it is as simple as plug & play if yoy get a whole new control panel??

Pete

Yes, then change the language and set the clock etc...Very easy to do

cheers

Hi Barry

It was a complicated arrangement. The original bill has some dealer discount included. The final bill was calculated on a slightly different basis but it was in the region of 20% whereas I had been hoping for more like 50% especially since it is the second control panel we have had in four and a half years.

The cheque is in the post...

Thanks Steve. Every little bit helps.

I can not believe the the replaced panels with a broken knob are just binned! I would dearly like to get my hands on one to fix my display problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD