Contemplating The Darkside

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So I am thinking of changing sides and buying an Ocean...!!!
Yes, an Ocean :sorry

Since having our little one, I can’t seem to stay organised with our Beach. I know it sounds mad with just one extra person. But it feels like harder work on our camping trips.

So who has owned a Beach and changed to an Ocean...???

This isn’t a Beach vs Ocean thread. I only want to hear from people who have owned both.
But seriously considering a change into an Ocean and looking at prices it may only be a £5k difference compared to a Beach I’ve specced.

£5k delta? Have you got the worlds most expensive Beach?

I too have considered an Ocean lately and the difference between similar specs of 150 dsg was about 5 grand. But with 3 kids, it's just not going to be practical enough for us.

Good luck with making your decision! It's a nightmare trying to decide what to do for the best!

I also thought this thread was going to be about the Marco Polo...

Now,

I thought we were going to be told that one of these was on it's way :sad

Original-Kingsley-Coach-2.jpg

The gap has closed considerably with the T6 when you start adding bits to the Beach that are standard on an Ocean.
Also all the Camping items that are required, cooker, Fridge, water carrier and storage items.

Noooooooooooo. You turncoat!

Actually, if it suits you, go for it.

We are fortunate to have owned a late T5 SE and a T6 Beach at the same time and fully intended keeping both for many years. The SE being for our personal fully equipped get away wagon and the Beach as a general purpose family fun bus and campervan. However, a change in our personal circumstances (having to look after our family) meant that we rarely had the time to use the SE as much as we had originally intended. So a decision had to be made. Which one should we keep? Having an expensive vehicle sitting on the driveway week in and week out and not having the time to use it is not only a wicked waste but also not good for the vehicle. In the end the decision was an easy one. Reluctantly our glorious fully loaded SE had to go. I'm still sad when I think about it and still can't bear to look at the photos of it. However, IMO and experience, the Beach is the more versatile vehicle for both general family use and as a campervan. There is nothing that you can do with the SE/Ocean that can't be done in the Beach plus the downstairs bed is much bigger and this Beach is far less complicated.

We regularly look after three of our young grandchildren and I am 100% satisfied that we kept the right vehicle. However, in your circumstances, with one small child, I would imagine that either vehicle would work just as well. Just one thought though, what if your family were to grow? Would the SE/Ocean still be the best choice?

Since having our little one, I can’t seem to stay organised with our Beach. I know it sounds mad with just one extra person. But it feels like harder work on our camping trips.
A Beach is hard work - especially if you have children than need watching.

I reckon it takes me 90 minutes to set up camp, and another 90 minutes to strike camp. And I'm pretty experienced at it. I have to work solo as the boys need near constant supervision.

I cannot see an Ocean working any better for us. Less space inside and more for the children to fiddle with.

My biggest time saver was reconfiguring the way I pack the van early September last year. Both the multiflex board and the bench seat are left in the right position for making up the bed. This gives a massive boot area. I hope to improve this further by making my own plywood boxes to fit perfectly in the space between the front of the multiflex board and the back of the bench seat.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

A Beach is hard work - especially if you have children than need watching.

I reckon it takes me 90 minutes to set up camp,

My biggest time saver was reconfiguring the way I pack the van early September last year. Both the multiflex board and the bench seat are left in the right position for making up the bed. This gives a massive boot area. I hope to improve this further by making my own plywood boxes to fit perfectly in the space between the front of the multiflex board and the back of the bench seat.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We have done the same Amarillo. The seat/bed stays in the same place and with the slide out draw really helps things.
However, I prefer not to use awnings. We have a pop-up shelter which we have used the last couple of years, but I am now trying to get rid of having that. Last two camps no shelter :pinkbanana

I think the way we camp has changed. We spend more time around the van and we are making more food than we used to. Heating milk and stuff like that.
When it was just the two of us, we would get on our bikes and use local cafes and restaurants. We did cook also but we had the flexibility to do whatever we wanted.
Now we must stay with the van and get baby to bed. Even when we are out and about, I think the extra storage and cooking stuff would assist us better.

I am concerned about losing the full width bed, the extra seat, plus that electric roof scares me. Wish the coast was available (we must badger VW)

But, we will keep the vehicle for 2-3 years and trade again. Giving us the opportunity to try both and if it doesn’t work out, back to a Beach.
MP was very tempting. But wasn’t sure about residuals if we wanted to get back into a Beach.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it work for you?, it's designed for the job. :thumb

Both are excellent. I love my Ocean. Bed width is not an issue and who doesn't like cuddles. My dogs do too. The easy organisation and clear space when cupboards are used well actually maximises living space. The added bonus of cooking indoors in heavy rain is essential up here.
Again both are excellent and you get what suits you best. Baby will love it.

Last edited:

I can not comment re change to Ocean.
But I feel that just adding a little one to the mix will make your camping trips harder work rather than your Beach over an Ocean. If you must have cooker inside the van then Ocean over a 3 seat bench in your Beach that makes the decision.

We were using holiday cottages when our 2 were small and stop camping. Added a trailer for a while to accommodate pushchairs and extras required. Then later a roof box replaced the trailer when less equipment was required for our trips.

There are three of us and we went from a Beach to an Ocean. For us we found that the storage works really well. Our young daughter can access her own stuff using her favourite cubby holes even if driving. She can also get something out of the fridge or cupboard whilst we are driving, if need be. There have been a couple of times that we have turned up somewhere, it’s been hammering down, and we have sat there making a cup of tea and something to eat without having to root around until it’s stopped. Of course, set up properly in our Beach we could have done something similar, but it just seems a lot less effort in the Ocean.

Bed width is not an issue and who doesn't like cuddles.

We also find the SE beds (downstairs 114cm and upstairs 120cm) okay, even when the dog sneaks up.

But people - well, people in the Cali socio-demographic anyway - have got used to much wider beds now at home than a decade ago. Apparently John Lewis now sells substantially more king size (150cm) beds than doubles (135cm).

So I could well imagine more and more campervan buyers are going to view a 114cm bed as just too small.

We had 5 children and my father-in-law, who was an avid caravaner, told me to get a caravan that you can roll up on site and cook and sleep in without the need of an awning if holidaying in UK because you can never depend on the weather. Hence a 7 birth caravan. This stood us very well over the years. Now just the 2 of us it is vey nice when camping in winter not having to do anything but put the kettle on when it is lashing down, even when we have 1 or 2 of the grandchildren with us.
Summer time and continental holidays it is not so much of a problem.

Not sure if I understand correctly, but do you mean you now have one child or one additional child? Either way..congratulations ;)

If the only thing you're lacking is storage space, and not cooking facilities, then why not first (before going through the expense and hassle of buying and selling cars) try adding some storage space or organising the space you have?

Ideas :

Window bags : https://qubiq.at/produkt/qubiq-packtaschen-vw-t5-t6/

Roof Cupboard : https://www.california-camping.de/t...aukasten-fuer-den-t5-t6-california-beach.html

Sliding out tray : https://www.california-camping.de/t...5-und-t6-california-beach-mit-dreierbank.html

Brandrup Seatpockets : https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...in-seats-vw-t6t5-california-ocean-se-moonrock

Or even more serious...big bits of furniture for your beach :) : http://www.maxxcamp.de/en/modules/multimodules-fritz/index.php

Have fun!

Thanks Hewittd.

Sorry, no. Just the 3 of us.
Dad, Mum and toddler.

We have made changes to the way we camp. Popup tent was one and created additional storage (sliding rack etc) but it’s still more hassle.

How we spend time around the van has definitely changed. Two adults have no time schedules to worry about. Waking up, eating etc. The need to cook something quickly is more of a challenge in less than mild weathers, especially when the little one is screaming for dinner.
The old days, if we didn’t eat at 5. We ate at 7. No dramas...

So yes it’s all harder with children.

I’ve put a deposit down on this a few days ago.
Looking forward to see how we can hopefully improve our camping side of things.

31DF1692-2935-44D8-ABAA-9EBBEE6EE5FF.jpeg

Welcome to the darkside. We’re a friendly bunch.
It was great bumping into you & your family in Potes & the Bilbao ferry last year.
Like the chrome sidebars.
Is it grey ?

Welcome to the darkside. We’re a friendly bunch.
It was great bumping into you & your family in Potes & the Bilbao ferry last year.
Like the chrome sidebars.
Is it grey ?

Yeah, you too. Spain was brilliant, apart from the sea sick episodes :)
It’s Indium Grey, same as yours if I remember correctly...?

Spain, van memories
E7861E35-D094-48D4-952D-148EEEC48B71.jpeg

Just spent the last 4 hours cleaning down for the new owners...

B19980EB-D85B-4305-95EE-8B28896ACBDA.jpeg

2E9F08A7-BC8D-4DEC-9FE1-8F745857382B.jpeg

Last edited:
There are three of us and we went from a Beach to an Ocean. For us we found that the storage works really well. Our young daughter can access her own stuff using her favourite cubby holes even if driving. She can also get something out of the fridge or cupboard whilst we are driving, if need be. There have been a couple of times that we have turned up somewhere, it’s been hammering down, and we have sat there making a cup of tea and something to eat without having to root around until it’s stopped. Of course, set up properly in our Beach we could have done something similar, but it just seems a lot less effort in the Ocean.

Our personal perspective of changing from a Beach to an Ocean.

After 4 years of owning a 4 seater Beach which we absolutely loved it is now exactly 4 weeks since we took ownership of an Ocean.
Within that time we have had a thousand plus miles trip to Scotland, so feel we are now able to justifiably reflect on how we feel about the Ocean.

The driver to change was from a health perspective, mainly the manual roof which was becoming extremely difficult for me to close.
This was ironic as we had never wanted an automatic roof, fearful of the anecdotal tales we had heard of automatic roof failures.

The reality is we love the automatic roof, it’s so simple and quick to operate and has completely resolved the difficulties I was encountering.
The steering on the T6.1 feels lighter and more responsive, it seems car like rather than van like. We’ve heard criticism of the dash, yes there are tweaks we think it needs but we like it. We like that it looks modern, that it’s angled more towards the driver, that you can change some of the appearance of it.

Having previously been critical of the habitation area, we now agree the fridge and the hob are really useful additions instead the vehicle, however we still feel the sink is too small to be of any effective use, in 4 weeks we’ve used the tap but not the actual sink.
The storage areas we didn’t think we would use (as we were quite happy with our stuff in the boot on the Calicap drawer) we do use.

What do we miss from the Beach?
The overall feeling of space when opening the sliding door of the Beach, the space when the passenger seat is swivelled, the extra width on the downstairs bed, the driver’s footrest.

As with most things in life there are are pros and cons for choosing a Beach, Ocean, Coast, or Surf.
Choosing a Beach, specifically a 4 seater Beach four years ago was the right choice for us, it met our needs completely, we’ve had some amazing adventures in it. Now, after using it these last few weeks, we know now that we were right to change, that the right choice for us now is an Ocean.
Health permitting we are looking forward to many more amazing trips.

Back