Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Complete novice need advice !

N

ndp-camper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
35949E1E-0129-44A4-B6F7-7F73E18737D4.png
Hi after 5 years of deliberating I have finally purchased this lovely California so I am a complete novice !
I have so many questions to ask but will not bombard you all with my trivial questions let’s start with two annoying problems firstly the catch on the sliding panel that gives you access to the pop top seems to be broken and keeps opening 56A16BE5-D7F3-4B22-8F80-3C0E135FBA0B.png
As my photo any ideas ?
Finally for today! Do I need to waterproof the pop top canvas?
Many thanks Neil

17EC535B-883D-4D94-AAE8-4936C967D6A2.png

Hi canvas should be ok mine is 11 years old and still waterproof.
Sliding hatch creeps open all the time you could tru some self adhesive Velcro in the gap I fine it usually stays in place . Also try and get the canvas nice and flat I find that helps to.

Welcome allong , there seems to a small piece broken away from the roller guidance but that's not the cause of the blind sliding open whlie driving , most have the issue of the blind sligthly opening sometimes while driving .
As for the canvas waterproof , you can use a product to put a new coat of waterprotection on an older canvas but don't think many cali owners do this , if you feel the need for it you can do it .
There's answers to many Q's if read some on the forum , you'l learn in time how the Cali works . Enjoy it ....don't worry in advance ...

Hi, and welcome, lovely van, I always think they look great in black.

You can fix the sliding roof with Velcro in the channel, don’t worry they all do it

Thats a nice looking van. :thumb :welcome
I think what hotel california is trying to say is
use the search function, he used to do it more directly but
he's getting a bit more subtle these days.

Welcome. You’ll receive plenty of great advice here. My roof cover slides open occasionally too.

Usually the dealers will stick some thin felt backed tape in the runner of the hatch, which stops it sliding.

Hi, lovely van, enjoy!

I would say I notice in the second picture the trim joining the two side runners is broken and there probably shouldn't be as big a gap there.
Just an observation..
Mine will open by itself so I put a bit of padding in the channel at the rear by the roof bed which ends up on the floor when popping the roof.

Hi canvas should be ok mine is 11 years old and still waterproof.
Sliding hatch creeps open all the time you could tru some self adhesive Velcro in the gap I fine it usually stays in place . Also try and get the canvas nice and flat I find that helps to.
Great advice thanks

Hi, lovely van, enjoy!

I would say I notice in the second picture the trim joining the two side runners is broken and there probably shouldn't be as big a gap there.
Just an observation..
Mine will open by itself so I put a bit of padding in the channel at the rear by the roof bed which ends up on the floor when popping the roof.
Cheers for replying

There isn't a catch on the roller blind as such. It is held closed by friction.

If you look on the slider at the back on each side when it is open, you will see two strips of self-adhesive fabric tape, as Matt has indicated, on the guide. These stop the blind sliding back with vibration but will wear away over time.

Replace these and your blind will stay in place for a couple of years.

Alan

Hello
Another “Blackie”. Just like mine. I have never proofed my canvas. I think the best rule of thumb is don’t touch the inside surface if it is chucking it down and it should be fine. Care must be taken when lowering the pop top also because occasionally the canvas can be trapped in the struts. Especially if it’s windy and this can damage the canvas.

Back