Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comments when use a Cali as every day car

Martynl123

Martynl123

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
i was wondering what sort of comments other users get if they use the Cali as a every day vehicle. I go out to clients and I get the "must be paying you too much if you can afford that" or the best one this week was, my accounts are only small you don't need to camp in the car park all week to do them.

Working in the construction industry, I get mistaken for a plumber, the awning looks like a tube for carrying pipes, my cali is black with dark tinted windows so it looks like a van, Ive got a very tatty set of steel wheels on it with winter tyres & its always absolutely filthy. The usual reaction is shock when I open the sliding door.

I use mine every day for dropping the kids off at school. The more I use it, the more confident I get about taking it anywhere. Still, I don't like leaving it in car parks where people might bash the bodywork and chip the paint with their car doors.

Have used it for 18 months as our everyday vehicle. Kids love it and think it is cool....as do loads of adults. Slightly more thirsty round London traffic. Great for loads of shopping. I can fit almost anything in.

Once had the light come on for the diesel but a slowish drive out of London for 40 miles reset it and now ensure we go on a longish journey every month and don't let the diesel get too low and no further problems.

We only do about 5k a year anyway so can't justify 2 vehicles for 1 adult.

Some insurers are reluctant to insure it if you only have the one vehicle. Will have to get a small runabout as well as the Cali when my daughter gets old enough to learn to drive as she won't get insurance on the Cali under 25. Had 70 nights away last year. Only been at the garage since Wednesday and we are missing it desperately. We would have gone away this weekend definitely.
Zebedee

No one realises that mine is a camper.

Probably the sign on the back door does it ... "no tools kept in this van overnight"....:shocked

First comment I had from my mates was asking whether I had joined the Plymouth Brethren! (I had a look in their car park and they do love a Silver T5 !)
My wife used to say a lot of the school mums would ask why she needed such a big people carrier.
Being a Beach very few people realised it was camper.

Not Californias but we have run LWB T4s & T5s for the past twenty years as daily drivers without problems. As you see from the Avatar they are taller than a Cali as well, minor restrictions with the height but otherwise we have happily covered hundreds of thousands of miles in all scenarios.

From friends, I get a lot of comments around why do I bother using such a large vehicle for day to day use when i also have a smaller car ... but those who have travelled with me in the Cali start to understand why I prefer the height, carrying capacity and convenience....it's just a really great vehicle to drive and life is too short for compromises... just enjoying it . ...apart from unexpected parking height restrictions !

People get used to it ;-). They know we are a little VAN crazy.

Current situation in our driveway -
T5.2 - 2015 Cali Edition 150kw TSI - my Wifes daily ride
T4 - 2001 111kw Multivan 2- my daily ride
T4 - 1991 110kw Tuned Multivan 1 - mine since 1995 and it will stay forever ;-)

Ähmmm, okay, the 2006 3.0d BMW X3 will be on the market for sale soon :)

First comment I had from my mates was asking whether I had joined the Plymouth Brethren! (I had a look in their car park and they do love a Silver T5 !)
My wife used to say a lot of the school mums would ask why she needed such a big people carrier.
Being a Beach very few people realised it was camper.
Nothing wrong with being 'on the square' : - )

I think the average member age and demographic mean that quite a few will have or have had Calis.

Nothing wrong with being 'on the square' : - )

I think the average member age and demographic mean that quite a few will have or have had Calis.
Member ages will certainly changed in the past 8 years :)

You have resurrected an 8 year old thread :)

Holy necro Batman! That's weird, as I only look at the 'new posts' so not quite sure how that happened. Doh.

I've changed vans 3 times since I wrote post nr3 above but the answer is still the same.

Back