Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Colours for 2023 model in the configurator

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Just dipped into the configurator (17/10/2022) & the only 2 tone available for an Ocean is silver / starlight blue. The new Red & Grey options have disappeared.

Just watched California Chris latest video on the configurator, and was surprised to see only one two-tone. Maybe it’s just a delay while they get other colours loaded…

That is a shame, I really liked the looks of the red and silver combo and that was up on their website last week. Wonder if there hasn't been enough demand and there have removed it?

In the Dutch configurator there are 3 two-tone options.. The red-silver is cancelled..

Schermafbeelding 2022-10-18 102819.png

All two-tone colours other then silver/blue have been discontinued from 4/10/2022

What about having it wrapped…?

Confirmation from dealer they haven’t been asked by VW to change any pipeline orders with discontinued colours. My grey/silver spec will happen.

Just checked the Irish configurators and all two tone colours are gone :oops: This is so weird when two tone is what makes a California... a California.

Just checked the Irish configurators and all two tone colours are gone :oops: This is so weird when two tone is what makes a California... a California.
The model is being wound down in advance of the new Ford/VW collab. Coast gone, in EU market no more 4Mo, colours depleted. The end is nigh

The model is being wound down in advance of the new Ford/VW collab. Coast gone, in EU market no more 4Mo, colours depleted. The end is nigh
From reports I read anything Camper wise at all based on the new Buzz would be no earlier than 2025, so thats at least 3 Cali years remaining.

I would also not imagine they would be running paint out that early. My thought is it’s more likely to be for simplification and streamlining of the production process.

Had a read up on the VW/Ford situation and it just looks like a simple cross badging agreeent to me but with Ford at the Helm. We built vans at Nissan for Vauxhall and Renault on a shared X83 platform. That seems a long way for me from “building a shared campervan” though and I can’t find any note of that. The T7/Buzz still looks too small for any meanigful conversion, so I think it remains to be seen what a merged T6/Transit will actually look like.

Any links to good articles on this welcome as I cant find much more than what I have above. The only van to come out of this Alliance so far is the Tourneo and while you can order it from now it’s a while still for first delivery.

The Cali is dead. Long live the Cali.

Last edited:
As of yesterday 4 Motion is off the configurator. Anyone know if this permanent?

As of yesterday 4 Motion is off the configurator. Anyone know if this permanent?
The configurator per sey is not the dealer ordering system. While things might pop on and off a config as it is a complicated bit of software controlled usually by marketing the dealer has access to a mainframe system that shows what is and is not available and controlled by supply chain.

If they have taken off paints and all motion for some countries it will, IMHO, be a sourcing issue, not a full on removal. There is still a war raging thanks to Poo-tin and parts supply for many things remain tight. Removing options strategically allows the production line to streamline orders in line with parts availability.

Not the last thing to come off, but I doubt it is staying off forever.

The configurator per sey is not the dealer ordering system. While things might pop on and off a config as it is a complicated bit of software controlled usually by marketing the dealer has access to a mainframe system that shows what is and is not available and controlled by supply chain.

If they have taken off paints and all motion for some countries it will, IMHO, be a sourcing issue, not a full on removal. There is still a war raging thanks to Poo-tin and parts supply for many things remain tight. Removing options strategically allows the production line to streamline orders in line with parts availability.

Not the last thing to come off, but I doubt it is staying off forever.
Thanks. I did think that supply chain issues might be the problem as whilst not for everyone the 4WD is a popular choice.

I was talking to a dealer recently who said that 4mo is problematic due to supply chain issues, and the lead times on 2-tone Buzz are June 24 whereas single colour Buzz are 6 month lead time. They seemed to think it was factory wanting to minimise extra production processes (ie two tone) to get more orders out the door as quickly as possible. No mention of anything winding down because of incoming models.

No mention of anything winding down because of incoming models.
I can only go by what I see at the factory. T7 Multivan's and ID Buzz account for over 50% of the vehicles in the massive parking lots surrounding the Hanover factory site. It went from a total of 4 ID Buzz a few months ago to a sea of milk floats now.

Thanks. I did think that supply chain issues might be the problem as whilst not for everyone the 4WD is a popular choice.
Given covid, China and the war I think VW have done the best they can. I think this is just them optimising supply chain very quickly. Pretty impressive really. Sure 4mo specifically will be back soon enough. Given the weather wish I had it now!

I guess 4 motion might be back, but it could be the beginning of the phasing out of the T6.1 California over the next year or so, before they replace it with a new version of some sort? When this happens you do sometimes see the slow reduction in the number of options available.

More likely it will come back soon though thinking about it, as it is very popular.

It's gone from Belgium, Germany and UK now as far as i know. I guess it's gone from everywhere.

I guess 4 motion might be back, but it could be the beginning of the phasing out of the T6.1 California over the next year or so, before they replace it with a new version of some sort? When this happens you do sometimes see the slow reduction in the number of options available.

More likely it will come back soon though thinking about it, as it is very popular.

It's gone from Belgium, Germany and UK now as far as i know. I guess it's gone from everywhere.
Why does everyone keep takiing about the 6.1 being "phased out over the next year".

Have I missed some facts?

I can't find any evidence online there are any concrete plans to do this in the next 3 years.

This is the least uninformative article out there and even then facts are few and far between. As far as I can see T7 is not T6.1 + 0.9

Here is my favourite quote from that article which I think sums up the FUD.

1671204817617.png

i've set up a specific thread on the 4 motion subject, in case others are interested (who were not interested in color options)

Why does everyone keep takiing about the 6.1 being "phased out over the next year".

Have I missed some facts?

i don't think you have missed anything. just daft speculation on my part. :Iamsorry

Back