Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Collecting your van during lockdown

We had our last California delivered. Halfway to us, while being driven around the M25, 50 miles into her life, a stone cracked the windscreen. The dealer suggested l could continue to take delivery, and get it replaced at our convenience! We declined the offer!
There were no windscreens in the UK, so it had to be ordered from Germany. Apparently it is a tricky job fitting them because of the sensors. The dealer said he could get it fitted by a first class fitter. All sorted quickly. A first class job.
WE collected it 7 days later, and drove very carefully around the M25.

We had our last California delivered. Halfway to us, while being driven around the M25, 50 miles into her life, a stone cracked the windscreen. The dealer suggested l could continue to take delivery, and get it replaced at our convenience! We declined the offer!
There were no windscreens in the UK, so it had to be ordered from Germany. Apparently it is a tricky job fitting them because of the sensors. The dealer said he could get it fitted by a first class fitter. All sorted quickly. A first class job.
WE collected it 7 days later, and drove very carefully around the M25.
Not what you want on delivery day :-(
Hopefully the M25 will be quiet when mine comes along, with less chances of ‘incidents’.
I need to stop overthinking :)

I knew the dilemma of whether or not to drive to Crawley would start the usual Covid debate. Anyway, I’m not waiting another month (or more) unless absolutely forced on me. However, personally driving to Crawley is not the right thing to do so I will take Eurovans up on their free delivery offer. Then I’ll have 3 or 4 weeks of driveway projects to keep me entertained during lockdown. Was planning a trip to Taunton to get Roger to fit solar panels but will probably now get him to ship the kit to me.​
I was wrong in my earlier assessment on what is legally allowed.

Section 18(1) of the regulations sets out how business forced to close their showrooms may continue trading: (Part 3 of the schedule is a list of business allowed to keep trading from enclosed premises, such as supermarkets and garden centres.)

Further restrictions and closures
18.—(1) A person responsible for carrying on a business, not listed in Part 3 of the Schedule, of offering goods for sale or for hire in a shop, or providing library services must—
(a) cease to carry on that business or provide that service except—​
(i) by making deliveries or otherwise providing services in response to orders received—​
(aa) through a website, or otherwise by on-line communication,​
(bb) by telephone, including orders by text message, or​
(cc) by post;​
(ii) to a purchaser who collects goods that have been pre-ordered by a means mentioned in paragraph (i), provided the purchaser does not enter inside the premises to do so​
Sections (aa), (bb) and (cc) are irrelevant as you have already ordered your van. So it can be delivered section (i) or you can collect from outside the showroom section (ii).

This is NOT exploiting a loophole, it is a reasonable mechanism to allow businesses such as car showrooms (and chicken farms) to continue trading even when their sales premises are forced to close.

A responsible assessment as to whether to collect or have it delivered should be based on which method is least likely to spread the virus.

Having a member of your household drive you to an open place to collect the van, such as the showroom forecourt, then drive home in tandem, is virtually risk free. Having the garage deliver then the delivery driver use public transport or private hire car to return carries, in my opinion, far more risk of viral spread.

If there is no member of your household who can drive you, then having the vehicle delivered might be the safest option.

Section 18(1) of the regulations sets out how business forced to close their showrooms may continue trading: (Part 3 of the schedule is a list of business allowed to keep trading from enclosed premises, such as supermarkets and garden centres.)

Sections (aa), (bb) and (cc) are irrelevant as you have already ordered your van. So it can be delivered section (i) or you can collect from outside the showroom section (ii).

This is NOT exploiting a loophole, it is a reasonable mechanism to allow businesses such as car showrooms (and chicken farms) to continue trading even when their sales premises are forced to close.

A responsible assessment as to whether to collect or have it delivered should be based on which method is least likely to spread the virus.

Having a member of your household drive you to an open place to collect the van, such as the showroom forecourt, then drive home in tandem, is virtually risk free. Having the garage deliver then the delivery driver use public transport or private hire car to return carries, in my opinion, far more risk of viral spread.

If there is no member of your household who can drive you, then having the vehicle delivered might be the safest option.
I think your reasoning is correct. Also, in terms of 'overall risk to the population', there is no difference between someone driving down and handing you the keys outside your house, and you driving up and being handed the keys outside the dealership. All you need to do is think about whether any risk is acceptable during lockdown.

Now you’ve got me thinking again Amarillo.
I would obviously prefer to collect it.

Me too. As long as I can hire a car one-way. I'm not sitting on 3 trains with my mask on for 5 hours!

Do make sure, however you it, either delivered or collected, that you get a proper handover and a chance for you to check that everything is there and it works.
The list of things to check and ask about can be found in the resources section. It is not up to date as the 6.1 hasn't been added, but it is better than nothing. We have had new owners missing tables from the sliding doors, seats from the rear door, the mattress from the downstairs bed, etc. Easy to resolve if you are in the showroom, harder if the delivery driver has brought it and isn't knowledgeable about the vehicle.

Simon

Do make sure, however you it, either delivered or collected, that you get a proper handover and a chance for you to check that everything is there and it works.
The list of things to check and ask about can be found in the resources section. It is not up to date as the 6.1 hasn't been added, but it is better than nothing. We have had new owners missing tables from the sliding doors, seats from the rear door, the mattress from the downstairs bed, etc. Easy to resolve if you are in the showroom, harder if the delivery driver has brought it and isn't knowledgeable about the vehicle.

Simon
Agreed, but it makes more sense to pick up yourself if the dealer is a long way away - it'll be much more difficult to sort out missing bits if the dealer is a long way away (as in my case). If my Cali does arrive during lockdoen, which seems likely, I will arm myself with a list of things to check before I start the drive home. I will also let the dealer know in advance that if *my* PDI fails badly, I will reject the purchase. I'll send them my list in advance.

Simon
Thanks Simon. Yes, I’ve generated my own checklist for my Ocean 6.1, may have missed a couple of things but it’s pretty comprehensive.

Attachments

• Handover Checklist.pdf
    238.9 KB · Views: 40
Not sure the attachment opens! Will send again shortly.

Having thought I was going to have to explore this mid lockdown collection/delivery scenario, having now had a chat to VW this morning not sure that will be the case. Having been told it was port of exit Saturday when I checked Sunday afternoon, today we are back in production from a week 41 build due to lack of components! It does not put me in much faith in the VW chat. Have now rung the dealer and asked him to see what’s happening. Mid July when ordered seems a long time ago now for not even a made vehicle.AC143EFC-462C-4C6D-84BB-A423C68D64DE.jpeg

Not sure the attachment opens! Will send again shortly.
It opened OK for me. That looks a very comprehensive list, well done. I hope you manage to go through all the items with the salesman. Well worth doing if you can. You can get a lot of the info from the videos by California Chris on YouTube if you miss anything. His videos are mostly for the T6 but he has done a number of updates for the 6.1. Unlike a salesman he doesn't get upset if you pause, wind back and start again.
Do ask about the software on the screen, linking your phone(s) , SatNav and so on as these are not so comprehensive on the video.

Hope it all goes well and you get to have as much fun with it as we have had with ours. Perhaps we'll bump into each other at a meet somewhere.

Simon

I would advise a bit of caution if a dealer is offering delivery and its worth asking exactly how that is being achieved.
We had a previous car delivered across the country arranged by the dealer.

What I thought i was getting was a flatbed turning up with our new car on and that taking our px away.
What I actually got was a hugely overweight guy, stinking of BO and box of Dunkin Doughnuts in hand driving our new car to us and driving the px back. No trade plates, nothing. The car stank and was covered in said doughnut grease and sugar.

His parting shot was to warn us not to cancel the tax and insurance until the following day!
I cancelled it all by the time he reached the bottom of the road!!

Go get your van and stop worrying about post like previous negative post which are to be simply ignored

a simple risk assessment: deliver vs collect :

1) Unknown driver in your van for 15+ minutes (more like 2 hours) probabilities to spread Corona ?
Vehicle cannot be covid clean inside effectively at drop off ?
Driver must use another form of transport to return to the dealer premises
vs
2) you collecting from the dealers covid secure location, van covid cleaned and approved hand over process, ready for collection for you to drive back to you home bubble ( avoiding public transport)

2 wins every time Risk / probability / frequency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just collect it. The world cannot stop turning. Think of all the Amazon vans running around the country.
Having thought I was going to have to explore this mid lockdown collection/delivery scenario, having now had a chat to VW this morning not sure that will be the case. Having been told it was port of exit Saturday when I checked Sunday afternoon, today we are back in production from a week 41 build due to lack of components! It does not put me in much faith in the VW chat. Have now rung the dealer and asked him to see what’s happening. Mid July when ordered seems a long time ago now for not even a made vehicle.View attachment 68823
Sorry to say, but it took VW 2 months to find the tow bar for our van. Unfortunately just-in-time supply lines don't always go to plan. BTW the dealer will not be able to get any further info from VW Germany - trust me, I spent far too much time trying to get a sensible, detailed answer and never received one!

Having thought I was going to have to explore this mid lockdown collection/delivery scenario, having now had a chat to VW this morning not sure that will be the case. Having been told it was port of exit Saturday when I checked Sunday afternoon, today we are back in production from a week 41 build due to lack of components! It does not put me in much faith in the VW chat. Have now rung the dealer and asked him to see what’s happening. Mid July when ordered seems a long time ago now for not even a made vehicle.View attachment 68823
How disappointing and frustrating for you!
I wonder what components they are waiting for?

It opened OK for me. That looks a very comprehensive list, well done. I hope you manage to go through all the items with the salesman. Well worth doing if you can. You can get a lot of the info from the videos by California Chris on YouTube if you miss anything. His videos are mostly for the T6 but he has done a number of updates for the 6.1. Unlike a salesman he doesn't get upset if you pause, wind back and start again.
Do ask about the software on the screen, linking your phone(s) , SatNav and so on as these are not so comprehensive on the video.

Hope it all goes well and you get to have as much fun with it as we have had with ours. Perhaps we'll bump into each other at a meet somewhere.

Simon
Thanks. Spoke with my salesman (Mike Harbinson) at Eurovans this morning. They are expecting my Cali tomorrow or Friday latest so it looks like I’ll be getting it early next week. Won’t get any time with them on the day of collection due to Covid but can take as long as I want to check things over. What I thought was great is that Mike is going to do a video walkround of my vehicle and send it to me on Friday. :)

Just collect it. The world cannot stop turning. Think of all the Amazon vans running around the country.

Sorry to say, but it took VW 2 months to find the tow bar for our van. Unfortunately just-in-time supply lines don't always go to plan. BTW the dealer will not be able to get any further info from VW Germany - trust me, I spent far too much time trying to get a sensible, detailed answer and never received one!
Seems like the norm these days, more fool me for expecting info to be available and accurate having signed for such an expensive purchase. On the plus side I didn’t request a tow bar!

How disappointing and frustrating for you!
I wonder what components they are waiting for?
If I find out which is doubtful, I will pass on. I know I should not get frustrated, but it does grate and temper my enthusiasm. Glad your progress is much more positive.

If I find out which is doubtful, I will pass on. I know I should not get frustrated, but it does grate and temper my enthusiasm. Glad your progress is much more positive.
Thanks. Doesn’t help your situation and I do feel your pain but even better news for me just now. My van has arrived at Crawley possible collection is now on Friday.

1pm on Friday :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks. Doesn’t help your situation and I do feel your pain but even better news for me just now. My van has arrived at Crawley possible collection is now on Friday.

1pm on Friday :) :) :) :) :) :)
That option does seem a mile away from me at the moment, but it is good to hear other people’s excitement to keep the pending excitement live.I will be interested for your feedback upon receipt of the vehicle as mine is of similar spec. Good luck for Friday.

Last edited: