Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Collecting your van during lockdown

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
FYI Received an email from the JCBGroup which includes Eurovans, Crawley which stated the following:

Worried about collecting your new vehicle during lockdown? Well don't be. Throughout November, until 2nd December we will deliver your new set of wheels, FREE OF CHARGE to anywhere in the country*.

Heard some real nightmares of people that have opted for delivery. Wonder if it's driven to you by the dealer or put on a low loader ?

In ´the trade´....
This can be a nightmare -
images-135.jpeg
This is better
images-134.jpeg
Or thisimages-133.jpeg
Or a driver delivers.

If restrictions allow, I’ll collect myself :)
Or could get my cousin to collect for me, he has an enclosed trailer for delivery of classic vehicles.

Or could get my cousin to collect for me, he has an enclosed trailer for delivery of classic vehicles.
Our original T6 order get whacked whilst on the transport vehicle. I would arrange a work meeting in Crawley...

Our original T6 order get whacked whilst on the transport vehicle. I would arrange a work meeting in Crawley...
That’s the plan. Fingers crossed.

Not good news I'm afraid.

Part 2 businesses must close.
Part 3 businesses may remain open.

PART 2
Other businesses
26. Showrooms and other premises, including outdoor areas, used for the sale or hire of caravans, boats or any vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means, and car washes.

PART 3
Businesses permitted to remain open
40. Car repair and MOT services.

I suspect that you will not be permitted to collect your California as you only have a reasonable excuse to leave your home to visit a Part 3 business.

You might be able to persuade the showroom to leave your vehicle with the car repair section, but I suspect that would be seen as bending the rules just a bit too far.

Part 2 businesses must close.
Part 3 businesses may remain open.

I suspect that you will not be permitted to collect your California as you only have a reasonable excuse to leave your home to visit a Part 3 business.
Think you’re right.
There showroom will be closed but their workshop will be open so I guess there’s an angle that could be exploited. However, it would be irresponsible to do so. I’ll probably have to go for the delivery option or wait until December :-( My cousins driver is a very safe pair of hands so might explore that avenue.

Their showroom ....

Business meeting, outside, (in the same road as the dealer)
Dealer drives the van to the edge of their premises, you conduct your meeting ( with the dealer)
You relieve the driver of the keys, Socially distanced of course.
You enter your new mobile office and drive off into the sunset with a Great big smile on your face having just finished the best business meeting of your life :bananadance2

Capable of carrying a nearly 3 tonnes, 2mtr high vehicle?

All doable I’m sure. Or you could look to do the morally right thing, rather than look to find the ‘angle that can be exploited’. Go on, be a team player.....

All doable I’m sure. Or you could look to do the morally right thing, rather than look to find the ‘angle that can be exploited’. Go on, be a team player.....

You won’t be going out of your house in the next month then ?

Not to collect a van to sit on the driveway.....

So collecting a campervan is clearly not essential. Whether you agree with the government's course of action, or not, it has all got to be paid for eventually, there is no magic money tree. Personally I would have thought the risk of transmission in a showroom is very low, but the tax generated by vehicle sales must be high.

Government is going to get the tax on this particular van whether its picked up this month or next. I don’t think anyone is debating whether showrooms can stay open for future sales, pretty clear that they can’t.

I don’t mind my dealer delivering, hopefully nothing can go wrong in 4 miles but still worried how much rubber they could burn.

Alternatively go collect some chickens on the way / going back home :Iamsorry
I did check.

Both "pet shops" and "agricultural supplies shop" are listed in Part 3 (Businesses permitted to remain open) of the Schedule. So the buying of tropical fish, hamsters, rabbits or chickens is explicitly permitted this lockdown so long as it is from a pet shop or agricultural supplies shop.

Farms fall outside Part 1, 2 and 3 of the schedule:
Further restrictions and closures
18.—(1) A person responsible for carrying on a business, not listed in Part 3 of the Schedule, of offering goods for sale or for hire in a shop, or providing library services must—
(a) cease to carry on that business or provide that service except—​
(i) by making deliveries or otherwise providing services in response to orders received—​
(aa) through a website, or otherwise by on-line communication,​
(bb) by telephone, including orders by text message, or​
(cc) by post;​
(ii) to a purchaser who collects goods that have been pre-ordered by a means mentioned in paragraph (i), provided the purchaser does not enter inside the premises to do so,​
So collecting pre-ordered chickens, as during the spring lockdown, is permitted.

Heard some real nightmares of people that have opted for delivery. Wonder if it's driven to you by the dealer or put on a low loader ?
I had mine delivered by eurovans Crawley. It cost me 150 and was just some guy who then had to make his own way to train station.

Interesting that this is now on the VW vans website.A487E0B0-F94E-4811-A9EF-5714B4207B9E.jpeg

How exciting for you - almost there after a mere 40 something years!
Cant wait to see pics & posts overload please - need cheering up.

I knew the dilemma of whether or not to drive to Crawley would start the usual Covid debate. Anyway, I’m not waiting another month (or more) unless absolutely forced on me. However, personally driving to Crawley is not the right thing to do so I will take Eurovans up on their free delivery offer. Then I’ll have 3 or 4 weeks of driveway projects to keep me entertained during lockdown. Was planning a trip to Taunton to get Roger to fit solar panels but will probably now get him to ship the kit to me.