Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cold nigths + condensation + sinusitis

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi,

After overnight in the Cali last weekend my half suffered some problems because her sinusitis and I think it was mainly because the air condensation, which was a little much :rolleyes:

I think I'm not doing everything properly and I missing something. I've read to get more information about that, but I'd like to know how you deal with condensation moisture and how to avoid.

I know I did something wrong, but not sure whether I should bear in mind something else. We've slept with all windows closed, roof closed and heater on all night long set on level 1 (Notice that my Cali is a Beach one).

- First mistake: Ventilation. I know I should keep some window a little opened, actually I've got front windows deflectors, but I was thinking how to deal with the cold temperature. How do you vent when, for example, in snow, i.e. a skying station?

- Second mistake: Lack of dehumidifiers. I've got some smalls one which you plug to warm them and get ready to deal with moisture, and usually use them when come back home and leave parked mi Cali. Should I always carry some dehumidifier? I have no problem with some moisture, but looks like my half get very affected, do you know some good dehumidifier suitable for our Calis?

Could you please share you lessons learned and tricks? Thanks a lot

Use thermal screen cover to stop condensation on windscreen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You mean an external one? I've got that one, I guess I should use it more

IMG_20150502_200130876.jpg

Ventilation is the key. we use vents in our sliding windows as well. Not sure if they are available for the T5, but this is what I mean:

iphonejune2010033.jpg

Also, don't generate lots of steam when cooking. Another plus for using a pressure cooker, as you can vent most of the steam outside.

Thanks TwentyOneThirtyFive. I'm pending to buy one of those air vent, they are sold for T5. Do you use them also when it's really cold outside? when snowing for example?

I never cook inside my Cali (or at least I've never did so far), that's one of the reason I got a Cali Beach. I bring a portable small oven to cook outside.... let's see how I'll do with bad weather

We use those vents all year round, having a little breeze is nicer than condensation build up or CO poisoning :)

I notice your topper does not have any vents in it. While you want to keep warm air in your van, you also need to let warm moist air (and CO) escape. I assume the roof tent has vents? Our silver topper does not cover the roof vents (and if cooking I often wedge something between the tent and cover to form a chimney).

Actually this topper allow air enter because there is a "chamber" between the topper and the
canvas and air enter pretty well. Also got an inner topper which also leave (if you want) canvas vent opened.

I think when to roof is elevated it's easier manage the condensation, to me it's more difficult to manage when the roof is closed and I want pass unnoticed (overnight in a city). In this case I guess I can leave front windows a little opened because I've got deflectors but, what about the temperature? (not experiences about that, my Cali is around 6 months old and I'm newbie)

We stayed in the Cali last weekend. I had 2 teenagers up top and me down below. We cooked pasta, boiled the kettle loads for hot chocolates and hot water bottles etc. I had an internal silver screen on front and side windows. No topper, no windows open at night but kept the hatch open to upstairs. Result....no condensation and we didn't have a dehumidifier. I think it is the breath ability of the canvas roof.
Zebedee

Ventilation is primary...we always take our dog and she also breaths out lots of moist
Plus two adults breathing ...
I always put at least one vent in my front window .
Just put your roof up even when cold outside , the external heater can turn a Cali in a sauna in just a few minutes.
Heater on and ventilate is the way to go.
An external shield on front and side cabin window also helps , they are single glazed and they are the first to damp in....

Thanks.

I think I'm suffering some newbie paranoia about temperatures (nothing some more Cali trips cannot cure).

When it's cold I just try to avoid heat escape so..... everything is closed. Next time I'll leave, at least, front windows partially opened (as much as the deflectors allow me) and, when possible, I'll elevate the roof.

If you leave the roof up with no topper and the heating on low there should be little condensation.

BTW, I think Cali Beach heater doesn't work by temperature but by time.... not sure about that, but I've got the impression the heater control in the beach has no thermal probe?

Window partially open or window vent downwind and just turn the heater up.:thumb

I've been using a couple of rechargeable mini dehumidifiers from amazon
to keep my old van dry when not in use. They seem to work well in a small space and change colour when they need "recharging". It needs changing every week or 2, as the pack contrained two I generally have one on "charge" and one in the van.

Recharging just heats them up and lets the water evaporate later. I've just put one in the Cali to see how it works in a day to day vehicle.

I've been using a couple of rechargeable mini dehumidifiers from amazon
to keep my old van dry when not in use. They seem to work well in a small space and change colour when they need "recharging". It needs changing every week or 2, as the pack contrained two I generally have one on "charge" and one in the van.

Recharging just heats them up and lets the water evaporate later. I've just put one in the Cali to see how it works in a day to day vehicle.
I've also got those "rechargable" dehumidifiers. I've started using them rece tly, but sometimes I found them not quite convenient (mainly when both are pink at the same time and have to wait 24h to "recharge" them)

Yeah, sounds like the same ones, 12 hours per, but they only provide one cable so you can only recharge one at a time.

Not ideal but the best I've found without spending lots on a powered device. THey are certainly better than the bags I used to use, that needed putting on a radiator to dry out before reusing.

Just to confirm those "rechargeable" ones are fine in summer, but they are needing to be recharged every 3 or 4 days now its winter (in the UK that means rain not snow).

Not ideal and a bit of a pain as pointed out above. Not as practical as I had hoped.

I've burned some of them.I had long time out of home and left them plugged to "recharge" them and the plastic got burned :headbang

I'm using 4 of them but they get "discharged" quite quick.

I've burned some of them.I had long time out of home and left them plugged to "recharge" them and the plastic got burned :headbang

I'm using 4 of them but they get "discharged" quite quick.
They only really work in small enclosed spaces.
They won't dry out Cheshire! Particularly at the moment :shocked

Why do you use the American - Amazon site.Isn't postage and currency conversion an added expense?

I was in USA at the time....oh, so stupid....can't recharge them in UK (unless I buy a very expensive transformer), so it'll be winging itself back to USA at Christmas....might end up in someone's stocking....to keep wardrobe dry....?!
And I've put a big note on my Pinterest "DONT BUY ELECTRICAL GADGETS IN USA"!
Dottie by name, Stupid by nature.....

PS the bags are in situ...will report after winter...

Back