Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clutch problem

davidjennytravel

davidjennytravel

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am currently in Trabzon, Turkey, with a clutch problem. I pressed the clutch pedal to start the engine, and it sank to the floor and stayed there. Has anybody had this problem and, if so, does $400 sound a reasonable price for fixing it?

I am currently in Trabzon, Turkey, with a clutch problem. I pressed the clutch pedal to start the engine, and it sank to the floor and stayed there. Has anybody had this problem and, if so, does $400 sound a reasonable price for fixing it?
What has the mechanic said he is fixing? This sounds like slave/master cylinder problem?

Just seen that other people have had the same problem and someone was very happy with a cost of £700. Just hoping that the bloke at the side of the road doesn't fix it with a bit of string.

What has the mechanic said he is fixing? This sounds like slave/master cylinder problem?
He doesn't know what the problem is exactly and, in any case, I don't speak Turkish and no-one seems to speak English in this part of Turkey. Anyhoo, thanks for your suggestion.

He doesn't know what the problem is exactly and, in any case, I don't speak Turkish and no-one seems to speak English in this part of Turkey. Anyhoo, thanks for your suggestion.
If it is a Master Cylinder fa ilure - fairly straightforward.

If it is the clutch slave cylinder - much, much more involved as I believe gearbox out and a possibility of a clutch replacement due to contamination with hydraulic fluid.

Do you not have Travel Insurance?

I thought that 204's had DSG only so no clutch pedal. Says T6 204 as model

Probably wrong assumption.

Are you any further forward?

Amman Jordan, apparently
I guess the clutch issue was fixed.
Thank you everyone for your comments. It was fixed in Trabzon for £700 including a clutch replacement. How did you know we are in Amman? The van has a new problem. The adblue pump feeding the injector has died and we got a second-hand pump for a Caddy but the computer didn't recognise it. So waiting for a new pump from Germany while we tour Egypt by public transport: buses, hotel rooms, lugging bags around. Grrrr!!!

Thank you everyone for your comments. It was fixed in Trabzon for £700 including a clutch replacement. How did you know we are in Amman? The van has a new problem. The adblue pump feeding the injector has died and we got a second-hand pump for a Caddy but the computer didn't recognise it. So waiting for a new pump from Germany while we tour Egypt by public transport: buses, hotel rooms, lugging bags around. Grrrr!!!

Post in thread 'Adblue pump failure'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/adblue-pump-failure.48666/post-637362

Clutch dropped to the floor last Friday. AA dropped it at the garage who looked at it yesterday.

Unfortunately the Slave Cylinder needs replacing, so gearbox out, New clutch and will also replace master cylinder…£800.

37k miles is the lowest mileage that I have had to replace a clutch; Cambelt, water pump were replaced at 25k miles…then factor in roof corrosion…at least the roof doesn't leak though. Never had these issues at such an early age with our +20yr old T4.

Residual value is still good and repair costs will be covered by increase in value…but still a pain up the backside.

Last edited:
I can understand wear of the clutch plate but a slave cyl/master cyl should last for donkeys years.

Clutch dropped to the floor last Friday. AA dropped it at the garage who looked at it yesterday.

Unfortunately the Slave Cylinder needs replacing, so gearbox out, New clutch and will also replace master cylinder…£800.

37k miles is the lowest mileage that I have had to replace a clutch; Cambelt, water pump were replaced at 25k miles…then factor in roof corrosion…at least the roof doesn't leak though. Never had these issues at such an early age with our +20yr old T4.

Residual value is still good and repair costs will be covered by increase in value…but still a pain up the backside.
I’ve had two slave cylinders fail, the first did as yours has done, pedal to the floor, one day fine, next day stra to the floor, no warning. The second failed differently in that the pedal returned but only half way and needed flicking up, but only sometime, other times depressing the clutch pedal disengaged the clutch but after a second or so it would re engage with no pedal movement, which made life interesting.
The original slave cylinder had a plastic body, the second was the same, fortunately (?) it failed after 2 months and 1500 miles, (so under warranty) and its replacement was metal bodied despite the kit having the same part number.
It would be worth getting the DMF checked to see if that needs replacement at the same time.

I’ve had two slave cylinders fail, the first did as yours has done, pedal to the floor, one day fine, next day stra to the floor, no warning. The second failed differently in that the pedal returned but only half way and needed flicking up, but only sometime, other times depressing the clutch pedal disengaged the clutch but after a second or so it would re engage with no pedal movement, which made life interesting.
The original slave cylinder had a plastic body, the second was the same, fortunately (?) it failed after 2 months and 1500 miles, (so under warranty) and its replacement was metal bodied despite the kit having the same part number.
It would be worth getting the DMF checked to see if that needs replacement at the same time.
Same - failed with no prior warning, luckily was sat on our driveway at the time. AA man drove the Cali to the garage in 3rd gear, followed by me in AA van.

Garage also checking the DMF, but said unlikely it would need replacing due to low mileage.