Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing the stupid multiflex board in my two-seater Beach. Help!

B

bilberry

Guest User
The multiflex board in the two-seater Beach is anything but flexible. It's low and has a support bar that makes it even lower. My Brompton bike used to fit underneath (just) but I changed the handlebars and now gets stuck on the support bar. I also hate the fact it's a solid board.

If we sleep downstairs, we don't bother with the board and mattress because swivelling the front seats and pulling out the bed gives us enough length. We usually sleep upstairs, so downstairs is only for the occasional wild camp or pitstop.

So, I've seen a few mentions on the forum about changing or swapping the frame only or frame and board.

I'm just not sure how easy that is, what parts to buy or if there is some aspect I haven't taken into account (price!!?).

eBay sellers offer side uprights that I'm assuming would replace the frame. The existing board would then go back on top - higher and with no underneath support bar. But do these all fit and wouldn't the board sag?

And many more questions. I just hate the multiflex with a vengeance. It's stopping me from getting my perfect pack with pull-out fridge underneath.

Agree the multiflex is anything but in the 2 seater Beach.
All the aftermarket side upgrights ive seen are based on the 3 seater/caravelle height. As well as being higher their board hinges in the middle. Not sure if that board is reinforced along the hinge edge to prevent it sagging.
If you dont want/need the board for sleeping length then why not just take and leave it out? Bike & fridge can then go in without issues.
If you also need some sort of shelf in addition how about getting some simple boxes build for both sides (one could hold a pull out fridge perhaps). Then put a removable shelf on top of the boxes.

Thanks for the suggestions. We definitely do need some sort of shelf. At the moment, the top holds a box of kitchen things, three stackable boxes of stuff we need to get at easily and a Waeco CFX35. Underneath, we have the bike, an extra table, Cadac, gas, van and hook-up stuff in a box, sports stuff, beach parasol etc. Removing the board would halve our storage space.

And now just realised that a slide-out fridge would only work if you could lift up the edge of the board (a la 3-seater board) to open the lid of the fridge. As our board is always stacked with stuff, the fridge would have to slide out fully and can't see how that could be possible.

There are a few mods on ebay.de I think (search 'multiflex') but someone on here did a nice neat mod - just hinge it at the front and the pic should be self explanatory. :)

2015-03-30 10.58.19.jpg

How about swapping it for a 3 seat bench MFB and using a bit of extra padding in the mattress department when you want to sleep downstairs - i dont know what the distance to make up is, but it cant be more that a couple of inches

There are a few mods on ebay.de I think (search 'multiflex') but someone on here did a nice neat mod - just hinge it at the front and the pic should be self explanatory. :)
All that needs is a small gas strut..

Swapping for a three-seater multiflex would be my number one choice. But I wonder how much they cost...a fearful amount, I'm guessing. It got me wondering why they put the support bar on the 2-seater version...for support, obviously, but does that mean you can't put as much load on the 3-seater version without the bar?

The two seat multiflex is a pain. It's too deep and takes up a lot of living space. I bought a pair of the multiflex legs from ebay, had them shortened by a local blacksmith and then added a custom top in 18mm ply.

0ac8a4c7eeedaee344251d2af31b9987.jpg

The result is another 200mm or so living space and a lighter multiflex unit.

The two seat multiflex is a pain. It's too deep and takes up a lot of living space. I bought a pair of the multiflex legs from ebay, had them shortened by a local blacksmith and then added a custom top in 18mm ply.

0ac8a4c7eeedaee344251d2af31b9987.jpg

The result is another 200mm or so living space and a lighter multiflex unit.

Hi mjrose. Im thinking of doing the same thing, did you just make the new board 200mm shorter? if so is the bed still long enough? I was thinking of possibly making a MFB the same as the 3 seater Beach but at a height to suit the 2 seater.

I had caravelle with the brilliant 3 seater MFB before buying the 2 seater Cali, so I know how usefull the folding functionality of the 3 seater MFB can be.

In the first pic I posted can a kind person please measure the height of each supporting leg from base to top surface and length/depth from end to end of the base?

Hi mjrose. Im thinking of doing the same thing, did you just make the new board 200mm shorter? if so is the bed still long enough? I was thinking of possibly making a MFB the same as the 3 seater Beach but at a height to suit the 2 seater.

I had caravelle with the brilliant 3 seater MFB before buying the 2 seater Cali, so I know how usefull the folding functionality of the 3 seater MFB can be.
Hi Skippe, 200mm shorter where the bench is but the section next to the box is the original depth. The board is now an odd L shape. 200mm suited us but we don't use the downstairs bed much. When we do my toes stick over the end slightly. Good luck!

Hi mjrose, your conversion looks great, I am going to change mine and will try to make the front piece hinged. I saw some brackets on ebay and wondered which ones are best suited.I would not have any trouble lowering the height.your advice would greatly appreciated.

Hi mjrose, your conversion looks great, I am going to change mine and will try to make the front piece hinged. I saw some brackets on ebay and wondered which ones are best suited.I would not have any trouble lowering the height.your advice would greatly appreciated.
Hi Patnolan, I bought the legs with a t piece as the photo below shows. I was worried about the board resonating and the T adds stiffness and prevents 99% of vibrations. I'm afraid I can't find the legs on eBay anymore but they were from Germany. My board is unhinged so I can't help there but I agree, hinges would make a more useful board!

758db749005f01a50d50c065b3ed0d4a.jpg

In the first pic I posted can a kind person please measure the height of each supporting leg from base to top surface and length/depth from end to end of the base?

Anyone? If possible before 9am tomorrow :) as I'm off to IKEA and have found some support legs on the website that look remarkably potentially adaptable for the Multiflex.

Anyone? If possible before 9am tomorrow :) as I'm off to IKEA and have found some support legs on the website that look remarkably potentially adaptable for the Multiflex.

Hi Max-Felix, How did you get on with the support legs from Ikea?
I am going to Germany next month and hope to buy a pair of supports similar to mjrose's and lower the height to suit. I did think about buying steel box pieces and making them myself but can't find the right material.
I had a buyer for my 2 seater beach and was going to buy a T6 (and put the modified multiflex in it ) but this was subject to having the roof paint problem resolved. As VW have cancelled my appointment it looks like I have to stick with mine for longer.

Well, the IKEA legs were a nonstarter but funnily enough off to get the wood tomorrow to redo the Multiflex. If keeping the Beach long term I'd redo the brackets but for now I will just be making a new board that hinges front and back.

Here we go - IMHO how VW should make it from the start. As we all know there are some clever elements on the Cali/Beach but some which the tea-lady or work experience boy could have done so much better - or at least if VW had given one to a typical couple to try for a weekend they would have found the glaring errors or stupid design faults.

Anyway.... ;) ...out with the totally inflexible board and on with this. I made it from OSB as this is only a short term item for me and it was easy and cheap to get this cut from my local yard. Again keeping it simple with butt hinges and lining carpet as we have a thick foam cover on top. Pics do the explaining but to add - it works perfectly, so easy now to access stuff in the boot from the rear or more importantly from inside when it is raining/too much hassle to go out/bikes are on tailgate etc. And by hinging up both sides and lifting the board is super easy to remove. I have attached with two simple bolts as it only needs to be stopped from sliding forward/backward.

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

Hi Max-Felix
Thanks for sharing idea, that's a great solution.I am sure many will want to do the same. I am still looking for suitable material to make the brackets if I don't buy a pair in Germany next month.

That metal bar however allows to load the board way more on the top than a 3seater flexi one.
I have 6 boxes sitting on that board. 4 of them right in the middle. 3 underneath the board, so 9 boxes in total to organize the stuff.
I definitely plan to rebuild the board as well for more flexibility. My main concern is the depth, not allowing more living space inside by moving the bench back more.

thanks for sharing - I have a two-seat bench Beach & have no real issues with the board as it is, but I can see it being handy to have the back half flip-up.

I try to keep the area on top of the board just for bedding storage (Duvalays, pillows, squashy clothes bags) so less of a problem finding alternative space when it's bed fold out time - the best space-saving solution is always to leave it at home ...

Back