Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caution!

O God, a cooker v non cooker debate now :headbang
Cooker, no cooker and unused cooker debate.
Upper bed, is it a waste of space or a crucial part of the vehicle, debate.
Will rain destroy the pop top bellows or not, debate.
When does the Coast v Ocean debate kick off, we wait with bated breath.

Cooker, no cooker and unused cooker debate.
Upper bed, is it a waste of space or a crucial part of the vehicle, debate.
Will rain destroy the pop top bellows or not, debate.
When does the Coast v Ocean debate kick off, we wait with bated breath.
Don't forget the manual vs auto debate,
to lower or not debate,
alloy or steel debate,
bootlid rack or towbar rack debate, ...

Don't forget the manual vs auto debate,
to lower or not debate,
alloy or steel debate,
bootlid rack or towbar rack debate, ...
Come on people! Lighten up! We're driving these vehicles for fun! Have a sense of humour or don't read the forum!

All this money on buying a van with a hob and not using it!
We've done 279 nights in SusiBus, using the hob every day, even cooking fish (in a steamer), not gone as far as curries though. Anyone want to buy a super smelly van!
Cooking, it's not a problem, just make sure you air after you done any cooking and it won't smell.

Upper bed, neaver used it, still in polythene.

All this money on buying a van with a hob and not using it!
We've done 279 nights in SusiBus, using the hob every day, even cooking fish (in a steamer), not gone as far as curries though. Anyone want to buy a super smelly van!
Cooking, it's not a problem, just make sure you air after you done any cooking and it won't smell.

Upper bed, neaver used it, still in polythene.

I've not used the hob because the weather has been good to cook outside.
No debate
That's good then.

Last edited:
3 Years in, only made hot drinks in the van, all cooking done outside, winter or summer. If weather’s too bad, off to the pub for dinner, cereal or McDonald’s for breakfast.

Outdoor fried breakfast and a good brew is the best bit of camping in any type of accommodation.

3 Years in, only made hot drinks in the van, all cooking done outside, winter or summer. If weather’s too bad, off to the pub for dinner, cereal or McDonald’s for breakfast.

Outdoor fried breakfast and a good brew is the best bit of camping in any type of accommodation.
Where in Derbyshire are you Chris?

I find you all weird...
What’s the point of cooking outside and packing another cooking aid, when you have a perfectly good hob within the van...?

So you BBQ inside the van then, or do you carry a BBQ? We have a Cadac which to people who have them know you can cook anything on them. Hence why I have not cooked on my hob yet because as my posts have said, the only reason I have not used it was the weather has always been good on our trip since getting the bus, so have cooked outside. BTW the hob on the last two vans was extensively used.

To me the Cali is a outside living type vehicle so when away we like to just use it as such, now when the winter trips happen then no I wont cook outside.

I also have a perfectly good sink but I have never used that either in three vans or the water tanks. Why would I carry water which is heavy around with me then have to sterilise it periodically? But to all those on here that think I'm weird that's fine. We are back to personal choice again, I see post that I think do people do that like wasting space by stuffing bedding into bags every morning and then out again every night or in the main drawer instead of rolling it up behind the rear seat during the day then there's climbing up into a tent through a loft hatch on a night when there's a perfectly good bed down stairs but I think as said we are all different. So that's given you something to chunter about and while your having a go at me your leaving someone else alone, so at least I'm providing a public service :bananadance2

What's wrong with reaching for a glass of something? A very fitting place to do that in my book!
If you reread my posts, I was having a go at myself for not using my hob, as yet not that I would never use it.

A thought the "weird" comment was firmly tongue in cheek, that was the way I took it and sorry if you took offence. All Cali owners are a bit weird anyway, spending vast amounts of money to sleep in a tiny tin box can't be normal.

A thought the "weird" comment was firmly tongue in cheek, that was the way I took it and sorry if you took offence. All Cali owners are a bit weird anyway, spending vast amounts of money to sleep in a tiny tin box can't be normal.

It was, but sometimes people can’t convey that message through text on a forum.
:talktothehand

Yes we do sometimes BBQ and for those rare occasions take a Weber GoAnywhere.
Cadac as a BBQ is pretty awful, IMO.