Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Catastrophic tyre blow out continental van contact

Hi all thanks for replies. It was front near side. Probably the hardest working tyre for RHD. As others have said prob just that tyre. It honestly looks almost new in the video VW sent me 6 days prior on their service inspection. I would have thought they should take the wheels off for a major service. You really do wonder what I paid £420 for! (Full service plus brake fluid). There was some evidence of a puncture wound. Pretty shocking though that kind of collapse. Good to know where your locking keys, bolts etc are because the AA man didn’t have the time or patience to look. He was quite grumpy said they get only 15minutes for a tyre change. Wasn’t interested in helping other than what he had to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am happy reading all peoples are safe and no hurting troubles occur.
I am recommend you research what is Exact every point specific what is make " major service "
I wondedierng you are receive heavy surprise what is real work labours take place this name " major service ".
Is not require remove wheels checking brakes California.
Emergency service man cannot knowing every kind of car driving where is your keys - drivers move such items to own convenience many times. He comes only to fix problem and nothing else - not for his personal choosing but his company tells to him what must do and not pay time for extra nice treating.

About 4 years back I took van in for service and chap called saying needed to urgently change ns rear tyre as cords visible - he'd keep the tyre. I was gobsmacked when I saw it and broke into cold sweat thinking what could have happened - we'd been on hols on Skye then 3 weeks later eldest son had been down to Naples and few weeks later youngest down to south of France surfing. Neither of them had clipped a wheel and all we can recall is at Applecross site there are some fold down posts on pitches and I'd inadvertently reversed over one when we were there when had caused it......................crikes van had then travelled over 5,00 miles like it! I now always check all tyres carefully before any trips!

A number of years ago we did a trip down to Portugal on my bike. All the way through France and Spain and onto the Algarve where we stayed in our friends Apartment. Didn’t use the bike much while we were there and after out weeks break started back took it fairly easy and took 2 days to get up to Santander. I did notice that there seemed to be a bit of a judder at speed but couldn’t see anything.. 800 miles later and got home and had the shock of my life there was 4 inch long blister in the front tyre where it had delaminated. Only ever buying 1 pair of Avon tyres in my life and one suffers from a blowout on a French Motorway and the other delaminates. Stick to Bridgestone from now on.

Not a bad idea to insure your tires when purchasing them :) It's one of not many elements, where insurance actually can be profitable. You can even insure 2 out of 4... and it kind of works for all of them, as they cannot tell them apart :D

Anyway, sucks to see that, but I wouldn't blame Continental, it's as likely to happen with any other tire of the same class. Very possible that it was pinched ealier or cut, or it hit something particularly nasty on the road. It's not that between all those tires there are some extreme differentec in production or quality assurance... It's pretty much the same thing, and often several brands are produced in the same factory :p
I thought tyres had serial numbers on them so your claim might get rejected and worse you might be committing insurance fraud.

You guys got me go checking. And look with what I have to return home with for the next 1400km:
(Goodyear 4 seasons back left, 3mm depth).
Now some garage people here tell me I could drive some slow highway back home with it. ?

IMG-4943.jpgIMG-4942.jpg

Last edited:
The chords are not showing, which is good, but we can’t see if you have damaged the structure underneath. Sidewall damage is the worst kind of damage.

You guys got me go checking. And look with what I have to return home with for the next 1400km:
(Goodyear 4 seasons back left, 3mm depth).
Now some garage people here tell me I could drive some slow highway back home with it. ?

View attachment 82459View attachment 82458
You just need to go into your nearest mot centre and ask if it would pass an mot..That would give you the answer..I guess it would fail..

You just need to go into your nearest mot centre and ask if it would pass an mot..That would give you the answer..I guess it would fail..
You've guessed wrong, from the testers manual:

When assessing cuts in a tyre, it is permissible to check whether a cut is deep enough to reach the ply or cord by using a blunt instrument to open the cut taking care not to cause further damage.

The following criteria should be used when assessing a cut in a tyre:

any ply or cord that can be seen without touching the tyre - fail
if by folding back rubber or opening a cut with a blunt instrument, so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of the size of the cut - fail
if a cut which is more than 25mm or 10% of the section width whichever is the greater, is opened with a blunt instrument and cords can be felt but not seen - fail

It could fail on this one.

if a cut which is more than 25mm or 10% of the section width whichever is the greater, is opened with a blunt instrument and cords can be felt but not seen - fail

Personally why risk it. Whether legal or not.
I agree, if you think its bad enough that you have to ask, its bad enough to need changing. I would just swap it with the spare & keep it as the spare.

I would change it. If you consider that a new tyres will start with 8mm of thread and it would need to be changed at 1.6mm so 3mm left it’s about 80% worn. The tyres are an important part of the safety of the van. If you had a blow out you risk damaging the van and or pedestrians cyclists other vehicles. Consider tyres to be cheap when looking at the potential costs of a blow out.
For me I would not even use it as a spare. If you want a spare change both and use the other one as a spare.

I agree, if you think its bad enough that you have to ask, its bad enough to need changing. I would just swap it with the spare & keep it as the spare.
Make your mind up.....If it was my tyre regardless of whether the cords are showing or not I would definitely change it.

Make your mind up.....If it was my tyre regardless of whether the cords are showing or not I would definitely change it.
Plus if you look carefully I would say the cords are definitely showing.....

If I was 1400KM from home I would swap it for the spare, I wouldn't spend half my holiday looking for a replacement.
There is no reason to rush out and buy a new tyre that day, don't forget the OP has said a garage that has had the benefit of actually seeing it first hand have said it is ok to be used. If a garage has said its ok to drive on, it should certainly be ok as a spare that in all probability will never be used.

When I got home I would get it sorted so I ended up with a new pair of tyres on one axle & the best tyre that was replaced put on the spare instead of the one with a chunk out of it.

Last edited:
OK I will re-say it in a form that is perhaps easier for you to understand.

If I was 1400KM from home I would swap it for the spare, I wouldn't spend half my holiday looking for a replacement.
There is no reason to rush out and buy a new tyre that day, don't forget the OP has said a garage that has had the benefit of actually seeing it first hand have said it is ok to be used. If a garage has said its ok to drive on, it should certainly be ok as a spare that in all probability will never be used.

When I got home I would get it sorted so I ended up with a new pair of tyres on one axle & the best tyre that was replaced put on the spare instead of the one with a chunk out of it.
And I will say it again . It’s a damaged sidewall and the Cords are showing.. If there was an accident and you admit knowing you knew the tyre was badly damaged you would probably end up losing your License..
Possibly even go to prison if someone was killed..
Obviously you are a much clever person than me and a top poster and VIP member but you don’t have to patronise someone that disagrees with you. I’m not an idiot and I don’t like the way you have spoken to me.

I think he was asking the question of garage people in here, not stating that somebody has looked at it over there. Might be wrong.

I would change it personally.

And I will say it again . It’s a damaged sidewall and the Cords are showing.. If there was an accident and you admit knowing you knew the tyre was badly damaged you would probably end up losing your License..
Possibly even go to prison if someone was killed..

I said swop it for the spare! I can't see where I've disagreed with you.

Especially if you’ve ever parked in Legoland Windsor, but that’s another tale…

Okay, okay, I am getting a new one! ;)
It was planned for this afternoon but postponed till tomorrow morning. Hey, that's only one 'mañana'! ;-)
I've been noticing a silhouette of a spare one under there since I bought the van. Guess it will be changed by the old(er) right 4-Seasons when I get home. Everybody happy! :)

Last edited:
We had a front tyre down to cords on the sidewall the other day. Almost certainly scraped against a kerb: Clare blames me, I blame Clare. Tyres were near replacement anyway, so had both fronts replaced.

Original 16” tyres lasted 40,000 miles. Replacement 17” fronts lasted 25,000; the cost of the fronts proves what excellent value the replacement 17” nearly new bought here for £500 were.

Back