Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Catastrophic tyre blow out continental van contact

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, just posting here on this topic. We suffered a blow out whilst travelling on a dodgy bit of fast dual carriageway way. Luckily no one injured. The van was travelling at 70 in the slow lane. But the tyre took out the ABS sensor wiring, damaged the rim. VW assist were called. AA turned up. My wife was there with kids. AA man managed to change tyre. I was relieved the spare safe came off ok (copper grease!). The wheel apparently needed a hammer to remove despite having been serviced (major) by VW Bury 6 days prior. The tyre was a continental van contact 200 with 7mm tread and inspected by VW 6 days prior. I was surprised by the extent of the failure. Doesn’t give me confidence in these tyres. Always used Michelin before. Used to drive lots of miles and Michelin primacy never let me down. I’ll be changing to cross climates as soon as practicable I think.
dd6ba1036a65b3436818b2632e9142f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blimey!

You should contact Continental as they will be interested in checking for possible faults.

We had Van Contacts on our previous T4 and found them to be very good.

But can understand why you would want to change for a different brand.

Very sorry for what happened, glad nobody got hurt. Very very annoying that a rim got damage.

I nevertheless wouldn't point at the specific brand and model of the tyre as culprit or lacking safety.
On the contrary these are probably the most common and hard tested tyres on a T6 as they come as standard equipment on T6 commercial transporter also. T6 is the most popular transporter in Germany and people drive them a lot and often also above 100mph.

It certainly isn't an issue of the brand/model, rather that specific tyre must have been damaged to fail so sudden and so badly.

You didn’t say if it was front or back wheel. Back wheel not so bad, Front wheel Brown cords time. Always thought as part of. Major service they took all the wheels off to check the brakes..If that had been done the wheel would have come straight off.

It could have been some debris on the road that hit the sidewall of the tyre.

Any other tyre would probably have suffered the same fate. I wouldn't avoid continentals because of it. Put it down to bad luck.

Still scary though. Glad you are ok.

How old was the tyre? The production date is stamped on the sidewall.

It can be a delayed failure after the initial damage was done by hitting a pothole previously.
No shortage of those.
As said before not a Continental specific problem.

VW would have no reason to remove the wheels to check the brake wear.

Hi all thanks for replies. It was front near side. Probably the hardest working tyre for RHD. As others have said prob just that tyre. It honestly looks almost new in the video VW sent me 6 days prior on their service inspection. I would have thought they should take the wheels off for a major service. You really do wonder what I paid £420 for! (Full service plus brake fluid). There was some evidence of a puncture wound. Pretty shocking though that kind of collapse. Good to know where your locking keys, bolts etc are because the AA man didn’t have the time or patience to look. He was quite grumpy said they get only 15minutes for a tyre change. Wasn’t interested in helping other than what he had to do.

Hi all, just posting here on this topic. We suffered a blow out whilst travelling on a dodgy bit of fast dual carriageway way. Luckily no one injured. The van was travelling at 70 in the slow lane. But the tyre took out the ABS sensor wiring, damaged the rim. VW assist were called. AA turned up. My wife was there with kids. AA man managed to change tyre. I was relieved the spare safe came off ok (copper grease!). The wheel apparently needed a hammer to remove despite having been serviced (major) by VW Bury 6 days prior. The tyre was a continental van contact 200 with 7mm tread and inspected by VW 6 days prior. I was surprised by the extent of the failure. Doesn’t give me confidence in these tyres. Always used Michelin before. Used to drive lots of miles and Michelin primacy never let me down. I’ll be changing to cross climates as soon as practicable I think.

Glad you’re all OK.

I had the same level of destruction on my FNS, Goodyear vector all season, but thankfully not going very fast.

My heart sunk when I saw your photograph, thank heavens you all were unscathed. Sorry about your tyre, it's just a bit of rubber and steel though, you are not, you all are unique and irreplaceable. My thoughts are with you.

That blowout looks horrible, glad that nothing serious happened.
I also have Contis, and one tyre has a nick in the sidewall, although
its just passed an MOT.

They looked at it and reckoned that there's enough rubber behind it
for it not to be an issue but I should bear it in mind.

Seeing as I always drive at over 100mph I think I will
change them after seeing your tyre.

Here's a pic where it can hold a 1€ coin.

IMG_1492.JPG

And also a 50. IMG_1496.JPG

its just passed an MOT.

View attachment 82102

And also a 50. View attachment 82103

No fivers in your house then…;)

its just passed an MOT.

View attachment 82102

And also a 50. View attachment 82103
try with 500euros!
I also pinched a tyre on a sidewalk corner leaving a similar small damage. Tyre only had 8000km. Question is , is it worth trying to save 180eur for the tyre when a blow out could cost me the entire van or more?
risk/reward ratio here totally out, only sensible action is to change the tyre

The blowout asides (not being flippant but so many reasons it could happen) I have an issue with how the wheels stick to the hub. So I concur with your concern.
When I got a puncture the AA guy had a very heavy duty trolley jack and hefty rubber mallet to break the bond between the hub and the alloy. Stood back watching, its way too easy to visualise a happy camper with their own rubber mallet ending up with a limb trapped under the van as it departs from the inadequate scissor jack.
YES I speculate but my van was rocking under the force of the Mallet the AA guy was using and I'm sure a scissor jack provided with the van would have collapsed.
My van was 3 years old and had new front tyres only a couple of months before.
Be warned and get assistance instead of frustrated and injured.

try with 500euros!
I also pinched a tyre on a sidewalk corner leaving a similar small damage. Tyre only had 8000km. Question is , is it worth trying to save 180eur for the tyre when a blow out could cost me the entire van or more?
risk/reward ratio here totally out, only sensible action is to change the tyre
Yes I agree, but it just passed the TÜV like that.

I don't do the 500 anymore, the 5's are too suspicious.
2's and ones only, but I can still fit 500€ in there Lol.

IMG_1497.JPG

The wheel apparently needed a hammer to remove despite having been serviced (major) by VW Bury 6 days prior
My understanding is that on Transporters the brake pads are checked with the wheels on.

had to have the rear tyres changed today because of a deep gash into the tread of the tyre, (only part worn, 4mm tread depth)! The California is only 30 months old and has had two services, both by the same garage, rear o/s came off with no problem as it had a smear of copper grease, Whilst the other rear one wouldn't release and clearly hadn't been off at the service!

Glad you were all ok. I would take the tyre back to where you brought it and they may give you a refund. I had a problem with a Michelin tyre and Michelin gave me a part refund on the amount of thread left. I would also show the tyre to VW Bury pointing out that you are not impressed with them not spotting this problem. When a van is serviced at VW they do not remove the wheels it’s not part of the service. Years ago the wheels were removed to check brakes pads but the can do that now without removing the wheels.
I had a puncture one Sunday evening and called out VW Assist the AA came out and happily changed the wheel for me the chap did not grumble even through it was rain very hard.
I had my tyres changed at COSTCO last and they had a lot of trouble removing the wheels and I had had VW service the van about 2 months before. I asked about using copper grease on the wheels and the chap I spoke to said they don’t recommend it and cannot do it for me.

The dealer had done a safety check whilst it was in to sort out the front roof drains ; which we appreciate was helpful but instead of just telling me that the tyre was unsafe emailed a video! I didn't see it for several days and told "him outdoors" to try and organise a fix pronto!
New tyres ( I was advised that it would be correct to replace both the tyres on the axle to avoid stress to the 4 wheel drive system) now fitted £255 all done ready to go camping later today.
Interestingly the Tyre workshop manager (BUSH TRYES) pointed out that the rear brake disc / pads had never been out and cleaned which was something they would always do as preventative work at a service .

My understanding is that on Transporters the brake pads are checked with the wheels on.
According to Winchester motor group as part of a Major service they take all the wheels off to check the brakes..

Not a bad idea to insure your tires when purchasing them :) It's one of not many elements, where insurance actually can be profitable. You can even insure 2 out of 4... and it kind of works for all of them, as they cannot tell them apart :D

Anyway, sucks to see that, but I wouldn't blame Continental, it's as likely to happen with any other tire of the same class. Very possible that it was pinched ealier or cut, or it hit something particularly nasty on the road. It's not that between all those tires there are some extreme differentec in production or quality assurance... It's pretty much the same thing, and often several brands are produced in the same factory :p

Back