Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Catalytic converter, orange light on - suggestions?

NickE

NickE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Orange catalytic light is on again in my 3 month old van. Not happy. First VW service centre deleted the light saying: didn't look serious as only 1 event logged in 24 hours. Light comes on again next day. Second VW service centre - Cordwallis Heathrow - had it for two hours running diagnostics. Couldn't find problem. They thought it could be electrical so tried all the connections. Deleted light. 50 miles later, light now on again.
I really don't want to spend my life driving my cali to van centres. Suggestions anyone?

Phone VW Assist.

Ask them to copy you the fault code details.

I phoned VW Assist the first time, they said, take it to your nearest dealer! The thing is, there are absolutly NO performance issues. Power, fuel consumption, smooth running, etc all fine.

I have a 2008 2.5TDi 130hp and would advise caution to anyone getting the cat (DPF) warning light. First I knew about a problem was after a routine service by SMG at Tonbridge - they reported the light coming on during the test drive following the service. They cancelled the fault and told me to let them know if it came on again. I think that advice was too late! Soon after the inlet hose blew off with an enormous bang, the engine went into limp mode then conked out. The dpf replacement was getting on for £2000! VW customer services kindly reduced it down by negotiation with SMG, still came to £1250. (its worth asking twice when they say thats tough, the first time) The problem is that when the DPF gets blocked its beyond repair - so the first warning light is the time to regenerate the system. Hope this avoids some other poor sod getting a big repair bill! ps I make a point of not starting the engine unless the cali is going for a reasonable distance.

Back