Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CarPlay or Android Auto vs Discover Media Nav (T6)

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I can't decide between having the composition media + app connect or going the whole hog and having the Discover Media Navigation Plus unit with built-in nav.

I've always tended to pick the best factory fit navigation option in cars before (bmw pro nav, audi MMI etc) but this time I'm hesitating because it's just so much money.

I've used CarPlay before briefly on a Pioneer unit and it was okay with Apple maps, but I liked the security of having the built in nav with gyroscope, wheel speed sensor etc for all the tunnels / lack of GPS signal in places.

So - am I best just buying an android phone with android auto and leaving it in the car for using with google maps, or should I buy the full nav unit?

There seems to be mixed reports on here on the nav unit ranging from 'its fine' to 'its rubbish'. So does it do lane assist, speed limits, good indication of what exit at roundabouts etc etc?

How good is google maps on android auto? Better than Apple Maps?

Thanks

It's not for everyone but personally I think Android Auto is brilliant. When I have a trip planned I enter the destination in my calendar then when I plug in my phone it pops up on the menu. I can also play music or podcasts, take calls etc through AA.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I have sat nav and app connect and if I was choosing from scratch I would probably avoid the sat nav. I now just use Waze (works well even when no signal) but it does eat battery on my phone and uses data. I've not been terribly impressed with the VW sat nav and frequently shout at it App connect works well. I haven't tried it with maps so will give it a go next time I'm out and report back.

Might help resale (if you're planning on selling) if you do have satnav though.

I was an still am when not in the Cali a big user of satnav on the phone. In my case I got familiar with and therefore used Apple maps quite happily.
For the Cali I opted for the Discover Media and if I ordered a Cali I would order it again. Quite happy with how it's performed for us. We have been using our IPAD connected to the web via a choice of MIFi or the VW car stick to fine ASCI and Aires sites throughout France and Spain. Simple to then I put the coordinates into the satnav and away we go. Today we intended staying in one, changed our minds and moved on, discounted two other Aires and now happily sat in the third. I have the app connect and Apple maps as a fall back. In 2 weeks I haven't required it.

Mike
http://mikeandjanes.blogspot.co.uk

Tried maps on CarPlay/ Android auto in France recently to compare route through Lyon. Good when there is reception. Pants when not. Feature of the VW sat nav We relied on a lot was speed limit display - a vital aid given the lack of speed signage entering and leaving towns/villages. Not so vital in Uk, to be fair.

I have Discover Media and it is very poor for the money and compared to other brands, I now use Google maps 99% of the time instead as it works really well with Android Auto. The maps will be loading ahead of where you are so if you lose signal you won't lose your navigation. So my advice would be composition media and save yourself over £1000 and put i towards so better options.

I have had factory nav in most of our previous vehicles, but never use them as they are always out of date and a pain to get upgraded.
Have always had a tomtom, but now that apple maps uses the tomtom data have been using that instead.
The only issue with these app connect solutions is the lack of offline maps as they need to have a data connection to work.
If only tomtom go was to become a supported CarPlay app that would be perfect for me.

We like our discovery media system, it's not perfect but works well enough, advantages are as Monty 6 said it gives you speed limits on the display , it also displays directions on the dash speedo display directly in front of you, when used with VW car net and a mobile network connection ( we have a mobile wifi dongle in the glove box) we can research our next trip and upload all the campsites etc as destinations on the sat nav from the comfort of our sitting room, it's a brilliant feature.
One more thing we love, with this system we got another feature which is that when we talk in the front of the Cali it is trasmitted using the phone mic in the front to the rear speakers like an intercom, great for rear passsengers when traveling with the rear bench at the back position, can be muted if you dont want the kids listening though !
We do have app connect as well but mostly use the discovery system.

We like our discovery media system, it's not perfect but works well enough, advantages are as Monty 6 said it gives you speed limits on the display , it also displays directions on the dash speedo display directly in front of you, when used with VW car net and a mobile network connection ( we have a mobile wifi dongle in the glove box) we can research our next trip and upload all the campsites etc as destinations on the sat nav from the comfort of our sitting room, it's a brilliant feature.
One more thing we love, with this system we got another feature which is that when we talk in the front of the Cali it is trasmitted using the phone mic in the front to the rear speakers like an intercom, great for rear passsengers when traveling with the rear bench at the back position, can be muted if you dont want the kids listening though !
We do have app connect as well but mostly use the discovery system.
How do you mute it? Would be handy so my kids don't hear me swearing at the sat nav

When you use the volume control there is a symbol on the top right of the screen to switch the volume to the radio or mic, you should check if it's standard in the uk ocean system, it is standard if you order it in ireland, it's actually a really useful feature so Ed can have great family chats without having to turn around and shout backwards.

When you use the volume control there is a symbol on the top right of the screen to switch the volume to the radio or mic, you should check if it's standard in the uk ocean system, it is standard if you order it in ireland, it's actually a really useful feature so Ed can have great family chats without having to turn around and shout backwards.
Great. Thank you!

No idea how they justify Discover Media, all you are paying for is the map software and an antenna at the end of the day. By using App connect you have more choices of map software ( however only two at present) but I have read they will be adding many more over time so I suspect we will see the likes of Tomtom, Co Pilot etc..

The VW nav is not perfect, but neither us the Maps/android/car play thing. Part of the cost of Discover Media nav is offset by inclusion of app connect etc.

We have been around more than 35.000 km on an iPad mini and Google maps (sometimes Apple). It works very well and is versatile for a bunch of other stuff on the go. Finding a restaurant, camping, emailing, Facebook … you know.

We only have the smallest std. radio (ex. demo) and I really was sorry for that for a while, so your post caught my attention, because I would really be in doubt if I should choose now. I guess my money would go towards LED, 4M or even heated windscreen, before VW sat-nav. I have been very pleased with the sat-nav on earlier VW, but technology has moved fast, and it seems the sat-navs are struggling to keep up. So the gadget has moved down the wishlist of must-haves quite a bit.

I have had factory nav in most of our previous vehicles, but never use them as they are always out of date and a pain to get upgraded.
Have always had a tomtom, but now that apple maps uses the addata have been that instead. .
The only issue with these app connect solutions is the lack of offline maps as they need to have a data connection to work.
If only tomtom go was to become a supported CarPlay app that would be perfect for me.
Just for info only I’ve noticed on apple maps after upgrading to iOS 11 you now get the speed limit of the road,which is a nice touch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been using App Connect in our Skoda Fabia and it worked well with Google maps even with no signal, so gone for the RCD330 Carplay in our Cali.

I bought a pioneer sat nav head unit for our Cali which has worked well but the maps were out of date before I took it out of the box, and in the 5 years I've had it they've only released one update at £120.
Last month I bought a Kenwood android auto head unit for my work van and I'm very impressed with it, I've always used Google maps anyway, it's good to know it's bang up to date and the traffic information always works well unlike the pioneer which I've never trusted.
I do like the excellent lane guidance on the pioneer which Google maps doesn't have but I suspect it's something which could be added at a later date.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have Discovery Media in my Touran and have ordered it on our new Cali. At first I wasn't that impressed but then I found the split screen option in the view menu. This transforms it in my view. It reveals the frequent trip option that allows you to follow your frequent routes without announcements but then kicks in if there is a major traffic issue or you need to divert. It gives you a much more detailed view at junctions. It gives a list of your next few turns with time estimates and on the motorway the distance/time to the next services.

So if you have not tried it select the split screen option.

The map updates are free for the life of the vehicle and are provided by Here who also provide the map data for Garmin. I've had two updates in the year I've owned the Touran.

I now prefer it to Google maps and with the online POI feature you also get the benefit of Google search.

It is perfect.....no. Is it worth the expense? I think so when you see the cost of adding in the other feature that come with it like voice commend and app connect. I also like the cable free dash it gives me too. So I am looking for to my new Cali having it.

How do people find the position of it on the dash? Seems like it could be prone to sunlight.

It can be quite confusing. In DK the systems for the California is called Composition - I guess its the same elsewhere (?). I suppose it is Composition Media Navigation (or Ditto Plus) you are referring to @MichaelB .

There are four original systems for the Cali at the moment:

Composition Color
Basically just a radio/CD player with USB + Bluetooth interface.

Composition Media Radio
The same as Composition Color, but with some extras. The biggest functional difference is the possibility for connecting Apple or Android devices with Car-net-app-connect (Extra).

Composition Media Navigation
Same as above but with the full monty navigation on top. And among more option of getting Media Control (Extra).

Composition Media Navigation Plus
Same as above but with DAB+ and Voice Control, Car-Net and Inform (online features)

The list of extras, screen sizes, output, etc. is quite long. But this is the main features as I think.

So if you are the Google-map or Apple-map type, you could have best of both worlds with the Media Radio solution I guess. Keeping the unit hidden and operating it on the Composition screen.

DAB radio is standard isn't it? It was on my T6 Transporter anyway

Some more info here;

Attachments

• SSP__562__Infotainment_and_Car-Net_in_T6_2016_and_Caddy_2016.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
We haven't got Discover in our T5 but was quite impressed with in a courtesy vehicle we had.
Just be careful with the speed limits though. They have changed quite a bit in some places in France and the maps are definitely out if date.

Some more info here;
Looks like things have changed again, my T6 was 2016 but didn't have the low rent radio as in your pdf @Loz.
Mine was more like the 2nd head unit but with a monochrome display and no proximity sensor.

Back