Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carpets or not?

P

paul_f

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We do a lot of outdoor activities. The floor of our beach is always filthy with dust, sand etc. If its muddy we always have a change of shoes. To clean I end up vacuuming and then washing with wet clothes
If you have the brandrup carpets, how do you find these if you do outdoor activities? I heard you can take them out and hose them down

We do a lot of outdoor activities. The floor of our beach is always filthy with dust, sand etc. If its muddy we always have a change of shoes. To clean I end up vacuuming and then washing with wet clothes
If you have the brandrup carpets, how do you find these if you do outdoor activities? I heard you can take them out and hose them down

Same here! Rubber mats might be better, just take them out and hose them down; We Recently sold the carpet ones that came with our van & have just ordered some new rubber ones today.

We have this in ours.20191109_111206.jpg
It's surprisingly easy to live with. Just take it out, give a damn good thrashing and hey presto, good as new. We also have Brandrups underneath. I'm now looking for a standard lamp to go with it. :thumb

We have nice velours ones in the colour of the van (except for the 'living area') but we cover them with rubber ones to not get them dirty. Velours, especially in front of the drivers and passenger seat seems unlogical. They always get dirty. So rubber mats to cover them. In the 'living area' I'm always telling my family memebers to take their shoes of before they go into the van. Doesn;t always work ;-) We have a black mat of some sort of fabric, but I'm always cleaning it. With a small sweeper, and taking it outside of the van to give it a beating. OCD doesnt help. I think 'relax' need to be in your genes.

We have rubber VW in the front which work well

The floor in the back doesn't seem to vacuum or sweep well, it needs to be wiped clean (which admittedly doesnt take long). @Ch1pbutty - have you ordered matts for the back?

We have rubber VW in the front which work well

The floor in the back doesn't seem to vacuum or sweep well, it needs to be wiped clean (which admittedly doesnt take long). @Ch1pbutty - have you ordered matts for the back?

Yes, just waiting for them to arrive from the site shop. We already have the monster mats in the front cab area which are great.

I’ve got the Brandrup carpets front and rear. They’re super quality, perfect fit and are easily removed for shampooing or jet washing. They sweep / vacuum well when in place. For me, they’re the right compromise between utility when returning to the van from a day out and comfort when inside.

We use a Brandrup carpet in the main area with cill carpet strips to collect the initial dirt. We don't have children with us :)
We use a battery operated Dyson with the small rotating brush with great effect!!

We
We have this in ours.View attachment 62367
It's surprisingly easy to live with. Just take it out, give a damn good thrashing and hey presto, good as new. We also have Brandrups underneath. I'm now looking for a standard lamp to go with it. :thumb
We all go to such great lengths to protect our pride and joy. It really made me think, am l doing enough? A carpet to protect the carpet. Well you wouldn't get grit in your rails! Have you thought of installing a dpm ( damp proof membrane) underneath?

We
We all go to such great lengths to protect our pride and joy. It really made me think, am l doing enough? A carpet to protect the carpet. Well you wouldn't get grit in your rails! Have you thought of installing a dpm ( damp proof membrane) underneath?
Did I mention the door mat near the step? That's there to protect the rug which in turn covers the Brandrup carpets which protects the bare floor. We also have waterproof seat and mattress covers. Believe you me, with our messy crew it's all very necessary. :thumb

Rugs over the bare floor - give em a shake outside and dust pan and brush for the floor. Colourful rugs to break up the Germanic starkness ;)

Did I mention the door mat near the step? That's there to protect the rug which in turn covers the Brandrup carpets which protects the bare floor. We also have waterproof seat and mattress covers. Believe you me, with our messy crew it's all very necessary. :thumb
Does all these carpets reduce the headroom? A small ladder to climb in the side door perhaps?

Does all these carpets reduce the headroom? A small ladder to climb in the side door perhaps?
Oh you may scoff but south of the border we sassenachs like to wear underwear, enjoy syrup on our porridge and prefer carpets to moss. :thumb

Seriously though, I think I may have more than a touch of carpet OCD.

Oh you may scoff but south of the border we sassenachs like to wear underwear, enjoy syrup on our porridge and prefer carpets to moss. :thumb

Boris, The moss up here proved very useful at the start of the lockdown when the supermarkets were stripped of toilet paper . As sassenachs ourselves, we too remember the luxuries of real toilet paper and sugar on our porridge!

As you've got a carpet on top of another carpet, l definitely think you've got carpet OCD, and possibly a bad case of carpet piles. Suggest you pay a visit to VW Axminster or Wilton to be checked over.

We have this in ours.View attachment 62367

+1 for a loose rug. We have a Welsh woven wool one and find it completely practical. As with Borris's it just gets shaken/bashed out every couple of days, and if it gets completely gopping it can go in the washing machine once back at home. If we sleep downstairs (rarely) it just rolls up when we slide the bench forward to make the bed up. We don't have a carpet underneath.
1594551440313.png

+1 for a loose rug. We have a Welsh woven wool one and find it completely practical. As with Borris's it just gets shaken/bashed out every couple of days, and if it gets completely gopping it can go in the washing machine once back at home. If we sleep downstairs (rarely) it just rolls up when we slide the bench forward to make the bed up. We don't have a carpet underneath.
View attachment 62723
Good idea. I do find the high price of some of the made to measure carpets hard to swallow.

Good idea. I do find the high price of some of the made to measure carpets hard to swallow.

Yes although in the end it's a very personal thing. I know some like making their campervan a "home from home", while we're very much members of the hose-it-down brigade... as you can see from the Inka seat covers, which I know absolutely horrify a lot of people.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the van will simply get dirty whatever I do.... We’ve got two young kids so we have a tiny floor mat by the door to soak up the mud and te plastic floor is brushed clean from time to time. I imagine when the floor gets too ‘stained’ I will mop it down (maybe twice a year?). Of course I’d love it to be spotless but if you camp in it that’s simply not going to happen! I’m tempted by the T6.1-style wooden floor though.

I used to have carpet in the back. Despite trying to clean it. It always smelled of our dog. Our first trip to a sunnier climate, it really started to smell and was promptly disposed of. I now just brush out the back and replace the mat over the carpet in the front with a cheap one each year and use monster mats. 4 kids and a black Labrador. It’s best to be pragmatic.