Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cardiff - Sinclairs

H

Hutch

VIP Member
Sorry to say I couldn't recommend this dealership. I've just returned from my second visit in a week, firstly for warranty work, and today, partly, for checks on the electrical problems which started as result of the said warranty work (see my thread on modified steering column). I was told today that a full diagnostic check had been carried out and there was now no fault in the electrics - when I asked why I'd had glitches with the fridge (turning itself off overnight), the aux heater and, this morning, the dash clock suddenly displaying the wrong time - I was told that a full diagnostic had been carried out and that anymore checking would be - and I quote - "p**sing in the wind" !!! I found myself wondering if I'd imagined the whole event of sitting down at this dealership and paying them £50,000 for this "van"!
I paid £40,000 for my Audi at Bridgend Audi and their service was brilliant - even though I'm no longer an Audi owner I still get offered coffee if I pop on for a browse. If I had any problem with the car I only had to call in, and I'd be offered one of the manager's cars while it was checked out. Trying to get a courtesy car from Sinclair Van Centre takes 2-3 weeks notice and, if you're lucky, you'll get a Caddy (admittedly a nice van)
What makes it worse is that both dealerships are part of the same 'Sinclair Group'. I bought a Scirocco GT from VW Cardiff, on the same site as the Van Centre, and their service was good. I then bought a Scirocco R from VW Bridgend (Sinclair Group) and again, great service.
We spent £30,000 on a T5 Kombi for my wife last year at Sinclair Van Centre - but sadly, my wife is also not impressed with the service.
I guess what I'm saying here is, buying a car from Sinclair Group can be a pleasurable experience, but step over to the 'commercial' side and you're not treated like a private customer spending you're own, hard earned, money. Add this to poor product knowledge and none too thorough servicing, and the experience rates as poor!
Rant over
Cheers G

That's why I went to South Hereford Garages even though I only live 12 miles from Cardiff.

WelshGas said:
That's why I went to South Hereford Garages even though I only live 12 miles from Cardiff.
Thanks for that - maybe I'll give them a go for my service which needs doing soon. I'm loathed to pay out good money for poor service and a 'Cali Expert' I'm not too sure about!
Cheers G

South Hereford know about the forum. My salesman contact is Martin Davis.
The Dealership is a combined one, ALL VW vehicles under one roof, open plan, not separate buildings or sites.
Hereford is somewhere for a day out while your vehicle is being serviced.

I tend to use South Hereford despite being much nearer Sinclair. I've used Sinclair recently to arrange the roof corrosion repair and with some prompting, I'm now booked in. They are not as on the ball or as helpful as South Hereford, so would tend to go there again, unless things improve.

Thanks Yelekreb, it's nice to know I'm not alone in being dissatisfied with Sinclair - or maybe I should say - it's a shame I'm not the only one upset with their service!
I'm thinking of forwarding my complaint to Sinclair Group because, as I've mentioned, I've had some great service buying cars - especially Bridgend Audi.

South Hereford here I come then!

I bought from them earlier this year, and so far their customer service has been really good all round. Also a lot better and more professional than some VW car dealers used in the past.

I bought from them earlier this year, and so far their customer service has been really good all round. Also a lot better and more professional than some VW car dealers used in the past.
Just as an update, Sinclair Cardiff has now delivered our replacement Cali (due to a factory build error, not the dealer's fault).

The entire process, from first ordering back in January through to agreeing, sourcing and handing over the replacement has been handled excellently.

I gave Sinclair Cardiff the order originally simply because they were cheapest on price, and having read some less than positive reviews about the branch I was all set to do battle! No need, quite the opposite in fact. All the way through I've felt treated like a customer who is spending £50k with them.

I also used their service dept for some mods, again I couldn't fault their work or customer service.

Credit where it's due. Based on my own experience through this year I'd be more than happy to recommend this dealer.

Just as an update, Sinclair Cardiff has now delivered our replacement Cali (due to a factory build error, not the dealer's fault).

The entire process, from first ordering back in January through to agreeing, sourcing and handing over the replacement has been handled excellently.

I gave Sinclair Cardiff the order originally simply because they were cheapest on price, and having read some less than positive reviews about the branch I was all set to do battle! No need, quite the opposite in fact. All the way through I've felt treated like a customer who is spending £50k with them.

I also used their service dept for some mods, again I couldn't fault their work or customer service.

Credit where it's due. Based on my own experience through this year I'd be more than happy to recommend this dealer.
Glad to hear that. It was, I note, 2 years since the last, less than glowing report, so hopefully they have upped their game. :thumb

I first have to say that I always went to Sinclair and bought three cars off them eight years ago. They were excellent. Were being the important word! We decided to buy a new California in March. I telephoned to speak to a salesman and was told by the switchboard person that nobody could speak to me because they were doing hand overs. No request to take my name or phone number. I called back two days later but nobody answered the phone I was told they would call back and I am still waiting eight months later. I called their West Wales branch and again nobody answered the phone. If they cannot take the time to take £50,000 off me what chance when something goes pear shaped. I was in sales for thirty years and would not pay them in rusty washers. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Greedy, Eager, Supercommunicator Lewis at Hereford VW took the dinner off their table.

I first have to say that I always went to Sinclair and bought three cars off them eight years ago. They were excellent. Were being the important word! We decided to buy a new California in March. I telephoned to speak to a salesman and was told by the switchboard person that nobody could speak to me because they were doing hand overs. No request to take my name or phone number. I called back two days later but nobody answered the phone I was told they would call back and I am still waiting eight months later. I called their West Wales branch and again nobody answered the phone. If they cannot take the time to take £50,000 off me what chance when something goes pear shaped. I was in sales for thirty years and would not pay them in rusty washers. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Greedy, Eager, Supercommunicator Lewis at Hereford VW took the dinner off their table.
I didn't order my new Cali from Hereford VW only because I got a better, more local deal from VW vans in Birmingham but I must say of all the VW sales folk I have come across Lewis gets the Gold Medal for attentiveness and communication. 10 out of 10.

Oh dear.
Maybe they were having an OFF DAY.

Pity, because 1 x Off Day = 1 x Lost Sale Day.

Dear Welsh...It is a shame because they were very good... Hartwell VW on Hadfield Road went exactly the same way. I bought a New Friday Golf from them with a front suspension problem and their efforts to correct it were lamentable. Just before they ceased trading I took it to Sinclair who were then called Cardiff VW and they sorted it in an hour. They went on to sell me three cars. I see the same Hartwell symptoms of people not returning calls, salesman being to busy to speak to new customers, phones not being answered at Sinclair and from where I sit with thirty years selling experience under my fan belt the prognosis is not good.

It's good to share personal experiences, be they good or bad, to help others decide where they choose to spend their money.

VW had the option to fix my original Cali, but instead they to order me a new one and buy mine back when it was ready (at less than zero cost to me). Sinclair Cardiff were influential in the decision to replace instead of repair (I know that because they and Customer Services involved me in that decision process). The overall dealer performance, not just for the replacement, was a high standard as far as I am concerned, not to mention being the best price I could get at the time.

As I said, credit where it's due. Just sharing my own personal experiences with that dealer.

Last edited:
Dear Skinnee I do hope you are right. They are less than a mile from me and I would dearly love to see them back where they were. As my Granny used to say: "Consistency is the hallmark of success"........

I telephoned this Cardiff dealer last year to enquire about an ex demo Cali that they were advertising. From the tone and content of their reply I could only deduce that they really weren't interested in my enquiry or selling the said vehicle. Needless to say, I went elsewhere. What I found sad was that I also received a very similar response from at least two other UK dealers. I must say that I did find the polar opposite response at both South Hereford Garages and SMG in Tonbridge. They couldn't have been more helpful.

I have used both the Swansea and Cardiff branches for various bits of work. Workmanship and people at both centres were good when you were on site dealing with them. Communication by phone or email is shocking - no answer, delayed replies or no replies, no effort at all really - you have always got to do the chasing.
Why - I don’t really know?
And my big annoyance (with most dealerships) - don’t treat us like we are dumb - we know when you are talking bull!

I have used both the Swansea and Cardiff branches for various bits of work. Workmanship and people at both centres were good when you were on site dealing with them. Communication by phone or email is shocking - no answer, delayed replies or no replies, no effort at all really - you have always got to do the chasing.
Why - I don’t really know?
And my big annoyance (with most dealerships) - don’t treat us like we are dumb - we know when you are talking bull!
They are just not hungry enough, the product sells itself and we still return even when we both know they are taking the mick.

The sales guy who looked after us well at Cardiff has moved on unfortunately.

Back