Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan Club

Digger

Digger

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Caravan Club is now renamed Caravan and Motorhome Club. Seems the motorised unit is now becoming recognised.

We stayed at a CC site once and on arrival were given a stern lecture in reception about which corner of the Cali had to be against the white post depending on which way round we were facing, something to do with privacy, didn't have the heart to tell them the Cali door wasn't on the "UK" side.
Ah well it keeps the warders busy!

We stayed at a CC site once and on arrival were given a stern lecture in reception about which corner of the Cali had to be against the white post depending on which way round we were facing, something to do with privacy, didn't have the heart to tell them the Cali door wasn't on the "UK" side.
I just say OK, didn't think it was aloud to put your awning on your neighbours pitch? They soon see the rational of my " stupid suggestion ".

Whatever they call themselves, whatever has the IT department done to their website!

It's a horrible, dysfunctional mess now. I tried searching for some CL's a couple of weeks ago and gave up.

I'm still to have that conversation... it went over my head when we stayed at the Cirencester site until the morning when I went to put the awning out... I must remember to ask for a grass pitch in future..

They're not as bad as the Camping and Caravanning Club. We switched over a few years ago and have found the Caravan Club to be much more relaxed. We got really fed up with being barked at by jobsworths with the CCC (the 'friendly club' my a**e!). We had a caravan until this year so had forgotten about the problem with toilet cleaning times, but now we're back in a no-facility unit I am again disappointed to find that shower block cleaning times are often 10.30 for an hour and a half. Just when you want to wash up after a bacon breakfast, have a poo, get a shower and pack up your unit to get off the site at the required noon, they lock you out of all the facilities. Nuts!

They're not as bad as the Camping and Caravanning Club. We switched over a few years ago and have found the Caravan Club to be much more relaxed. We got really fed up with being barked at by jobsworths with the CCC (the 'friendly club' my a**e!). We had a caravan until this year so had forgotten about the problem with toilet cleaning times, but now we're back in a no-facility unit I am again disappointed to find that shower block cleaning times are often 10.30 for an hour and a half. Just when you want to wash up after a bacon breakfast, have a poo, get a shower and pack up your unit to get off the site at the required noon, they lock you out of all the facilities. Nuts!

I get what you are saying about toilet cleaning times, why don't they do them in the afternoon once everyone has gone out for the day.

I am also partial to a mid morning poo, it really messes up my daily routine

I think it's as you find them.

I often use the C&CC site at Chertsey and the warders there are incredibly helpful, the facilities brilliant and .... yes, 10am and the dreaded cleaning sign goes up but then that's what the portable loo is all about.

Caravan Club sites generally more formal, but still some very helpful warders, seeing Cirencester mentioned, I found them pleasant enough.

On the other hand I will never forget the frosty looks and stiff admonishments at Edinburgh CC site because I dared clean the legal bits of my van ... Glass, lights, number plates etc, opaque with salt and mud.

Never been in a caravan club site but every CCC we've visited have been great. The chap in Lauder is a top bloke, lovely chap. All the sites we've been to simply direct you to either the family or disabled toilet when they are cleaning. It world be interesting to hear from a site owner to read what they have to say about Joe public.

... Message ends...

Last edited:
I heard that some wardens have code they use for stroppy public. One phrase I was told the warden used at the end of a conversation was "There We Are Then"
:rolleyes:

Was in the C&CC for 39 years and only had encounters with really serious jobsworths a couple of times. seemed like retired Sergeant Major types.
Have joined the CC or C&MC (sounds like some fetish thing) as they have more level hard standings which will suit my occasional site use. Must admit though that previously I always viewed this club as a bit 'snooty'. Time will tell.

We use both clubs some of bellow at both both wardens and members
"There We Are Then"
but both have some great 5 unit small sites.

I heard that some wardens have code they use for stroppy public. One phrase I was told the warden used at the end of a conversation was "There We Are Then"
:rolleyes:

Oh!!

When I stop at my favourite site they always point and remind me where everything is :shocked

Offices, Laundry, Dishwashing......... then..... Bathrooms And Toilets

We've been members of both clubs, both when we camped and caravanned, and there are good and bad wardens. Just, as I suspect, there are good and back campers!

We've been members of both clubs, both when we camped and caravanned, and there are good and bad wardens. Just, as I suspect, there are good and back campers!
Yes I think you're right. But since we've joined the Caravan Club, they've all be absolutely lovely. And I love that when you turn up they ask you to find a pitch that suits you. We got so fed up in the old days with the Camping and Caravanning Club when we only had a tent, and would arrive after work and a drive on a Friday night only to be put next to the sesspit or some other inferior spot when there appeared to be much nicer pitches available. On occasions we made our case and could move, but some wardens were just so intransigent. We were members for 20 odd years, but are much happier with the Caravan Club. Regarding the loos, I've never understood why they always seem to close just when all us happy campers need them. Anyhoo, I've just bought a porta potti so can go back to using more no-facility CLs and Britstops. Heaven :)

Ha ha I would love a daily routine like that! I'm blessed with an irritable bowel though, and when I gotta go, it helps if there's a toilet open! Porta potti has been purchased :)
I get what you are saying about toilet cleaning times, why don't they do them in the afternoon once everyone has gone out for the day.

I am also partial to a mid morning poo, it really messes up my daily routine

I was at the NEC today ( don't bother going, disappointed with the amount there) and went to join the caravan club ( or CAMC) . Heard a torrent of abuse levelled at the people manning the stall from existing members who were outraged that the membership had not been consulted about the change in name and branding.
It did made me wonder what I was joining!
Does it really matter what it is called? As long as I can visit my favourite sites, the facilities are up to scratch and the wardens helpful. That is all I ask. They say that an increasing proportion of their members have Motorhomes or campers so the name was outdated. Makes sense to me.

I was at the NEC today ( don't bother going, disappointed with the amount there) and went to join the caravan club ( or CAMC) . Heard a torrent of abuse levelled at the people manning the stall from existing members who were outraged that the membership had not been consulted about the change in name and branding.
Does it really matter what it is called? As long as I can visit my favourite sites, the facilities are up to scratch and the wardens helpful. That is all I ask. They say that an increasing proportion of their members have Motorhomes or campers so the name was outdated. Makes sense to me.
They could always leave.

Mike

What you have to remember is that this club was solely for caravans nothing else we were members for one year when we had a caravan but within three months we joined the camping and Caravan club and I could not understand why the members were so pompous honestly it was like being in the army and now they except campervan's and campers and that was only because the membership was in decline I would not join that club if it is the last thing on this planet we have been members of the camping and Caravan club for many enjoyable years if you want to join a club join this one.

Unfortunately, regardless of the post, if you give people a small amount of responsibility there will always be one or two who will turn into obnoxious, inflexible, power crazed, little jobsworths. That's just human nature. We have all known them.

So far I have found very nearly all of the wardens at nearly all of the CC and C&CC sites to be extremely helpful and very friendly. However, I did once drive past the stop sign outside of a frequently mentioned camp reception. Judging by the bellowing from the site warden, anyone would have thought that i'd made off with her favourite bull whip.

Last edited:
Only had one bad experience at a CC site and that was just a comment "People with your type of vehicle cause us problems as they need more room." To combat this thinking I always politely mention to the wardens at check in that I will not always be able to conform to their requirement of lining up with the post and they have been happy to accept that. I am sure there are a few jobsworth a out there but on the whole I have found the wardens to be helpful and courteous. I am appalled that other members seem to believe it is acceptable to abuse CC staff over a name change. They must have b****r all else to do. Can't wait to rock up at a site somewhere and a caravanner start having a pop at my camper.

Back