Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan and Motorhome Club the last straw

I’d like to agree but unfortunately I’m observing neighbours and friends totally ignoring the guidelines or rules... and so it’s not that ‘they’ deserve anything that ‘befalls them’, these people could inadvertently infect others, and that’s where I get frustrated. You are not 100% safe following all the advice. You need every to do it for it to work. (In my opinion).

Were we 100% safe before ?

Life & Commerce needs to go on with common sense precautions, no more & no less.

Were we 100% safe before ?

Life & Commerce needs to go on with common sense precautions, no more & no less.
Totally agree. It’s the fact that so many are just ignoring guidelines and putting others at risk which infuriates me. We were put on a second lock down in Aberdeen. Myself and many other single friends have been struggling for months abiding by the rules. But I look outside and see my neighbours having BBQ’s, family around and posting pics on fb of gatherings that are against the guidelines... It’s very hard to accept...

Beginning of summer , shops and restaurant open for business with some rules: wearing a mask, keeping 1,5 metres distance when queuing up. sanitize you hands when entering with the provided sanitizer. Not really a big deal, even my 6 year old daughter understood and comply, and you can shop, dine, work and do everything you did before with few exceptions. Not really rocket science. This way, life, business and taxes keep rolling. It works.
If there are some people thick enough not to understand such simple rules and guidelines they need to be punished heavily as we can't afford and don't want to stop our world .

that is true. But in Italy for example , during the lock down, people caught outside or too far from home got fined in the hundreds of EUR per person per incident. Last week in Germany police broke a grill party and the 10 people received a 150 euro fine each. It may not deter them still, but they'll become poorer.

I wish we would.

If you want to edanger others by ignoring the rules, pay up.

Totally agree. It’s the fact that so many are just ignoring guidelines and putting others at risk which infuriates me. We were put on a second lock down in Aberdeen. Myself and many other single friends have been struggling for months abiding by the rules. But I look outside and see my neighbours having BBQ’s, family around and posting pics on fb of gatherings that are against the guidelines... It’s very hard to accept...

Then don’t interfere and feel you have a god given right. Chill.

Then don’t interfere and feel you have a god given right. Chill.
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say with that comment. No-one has a god given right. But I would hope people would respect the guidelines and help keep themselves and others safe. What I am seeing is too many people not doing that. Meaning more lockdown, and I see as a consequence of that, people who have been abiding by the guidelines suffering mentally. All the much harder when you are single with no family close by. As myself and friends.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say with that comment. No-one has a god given right. But I would hope people would respect the guidelines and help keep themselves and others safe. What I am seeing is too many people not doing that. Meaning more lockdown, and I see as a consequence of that, people who have been abiding by the guidelines suffering mentally. All the much harder when you are single with no family close by. As myself and friends.

You have more chance of winning the lottery at the moment in the U.K. than catching Covid. The UK is acting in a ridiculous way.

I speak as a person that lives between the U.K. & Portugal and visits other European countries often. My UK Law Practice has continued throughout, while being Covid secure & not closed for a single hour through this.

Heaven knows what deprived nations think of our Western attitude towards all this.

WG

I am not saying, flout the rules.

Arrived in UK on 2nd July and did my full 14 days quarantine. Going back out to Portugal for a few months the end of next month.

As the Granny says, just be sensible & use common sense. But, hey the startled looks from people when you get in a line or cross them in a supermarket is simply pathetic.

You have more chance of winning the lottery at the moment in the U.K. than catching Covid. The UK is acting in a ridiculous way.

I speak as a person that lives between the U.K. & Portugal and visits other European countries often. My UK Law Practice has continued throughout, while being Covid secure & not closed for a single hour through this.

Heaven knows what deprived nations think of our Western attitude towards all this.
[/QUOTE
You’re wrong I think (if my dodgy math is correct) :)
The odds of winning the lottery are 1 in 45 million. Based on a U.K. population of 60 million and 45,000 Covid deaths so far the odds of expiring with the virus are 1 in 1333. The odds of just catching it are even less.
Anyway -
1. Use common sense
2. Be responsible
3. Obey the rules
4. Avoid lockdown 2
That way we all get to enjoy our Cali adventures.

You get my point without being pedantic.

I am English but live between 2 foreign-countries, Portugal & Wales.

What I see is simply mind boggling.

Use common sense, respect others at all times & get on with life.

Strange how it’s impossible to see your GP face to face at the moment even though your paying your taxes to keep them employed, but last Monday one was willing to see me face to face as long as I paid £995 for a minor procedure.

There is plenty wrong with the maths but it was a genuine attempt to point out an untrue statement. I feel it is unreasonable to call that action pedantic, we all need people to highlight misinformation.

Ahh, but people, the Unions, the Media, MPs and Tom, Dick and Harry WANT CLARITY. They want to be told A, B and C. Even though they are given advice and guidelines they want Regulations and Laws to follow otherwise where would be the fun in flouting them etc. Common Sense has gone out of the window.
I need some clarity on this hehehehe

Strange how it’s impossible to see your GP face to face at the moment even though your paying your taxes to keep them employed, but last Monday one was willing to see me face to face as long as I paid £995 for a minor procedure.
Both my wife and I have private dental treatment and pay a monthly amount based on your treatment. All appointments cancelled from March but still paying direct debit but Now we also have to pay the dentist for their PPE !!!!! to wear when giving my a check up GOOD SCAM

Both my wife and I have private dental treatment and pay a monthly amount based on your treatment. All appointments cancelled from March but still paying direct debit but Now we also have to pay the dentist for their PPE !!!!! to wear when giving my a check up GOOD SCAM
So who do you suggest pays for the increased cost of PPE and enhanced cleaning protocols etc: forced on your Dentist by the BDA who can take away their Liscence to Practice for non-compliance when they are also restricted in the number of patients they can treat as they have to allow the "room" to rest for 1hr between patients for certain procedures?
The Virus is responsible and we will All be paying in one way or another. Count yourself lucky you can moan about it. There are many who can't.

I have my Doctors appointment at 12 today for bloods etc - no charge!

I have my Doctors appointment at 12 today for bloods etc - no charge!
A bit like Brexit this, there are obviously very different views on thIs situation and I don’t think minds will be changed.
There are those who acknowledge that we are living through an extremely difficult time and are accepting of government guidance (Even necessary u-turns) and those who deny the severity of the pandemic and blame the government for any restrictions on their personal lives.
I have friends who see no risk, they have been on two holidays to Greece in the last month (full flights each time). Personally, I wouldn’t get on an aircraft just yet.
As WG said previously we will ALL pay for this pandemic - probably across the next decade or two.
BTW, Way back in the 1960’s I failed my A-Level maths but can somebody advise why my sums on this are wrong? 60,000,000 ( UK population) divided by 45,000 (Covid deaths) equals 1,333. Doesn’t that give us odds of 1 in 1333 ? What am I missing?

60,000,000 ( UK population) divided by 45,000 (Covid deaths) equals 1,333. Doesn’t that give us odds of 1 in 1333 ? What am I missing?
I think you should add to the deaths also all the people that went into intensive care and ultimately survived.
2 weeks with pipes down your throat, on a bed fed by tubes, with somebody else taking care of your cleaning your body "waste". With some likely long lasting side effects.
So the chances of getting Covid and suffer heavily from it are actually higher than 1 in 1333....
To state that the chances are less than winning the lottery is not only mathematical nonsense, it is outright misinformation. It cannot be said as a joke or sarcasm because it gives the false impression that it is safe to ignore all the rules because it is so rare to get Covid that it is easier to win the lottery. Utter BS. The fact and the peculiarity of Covid is that it is very easy to transmit, otherwise we wouldn't be in such situation

Nothing wrong with that maths but the false statement was it is more likely to win the lottery at the moment than catch virus. So not realistic to compare 1 ticket for 1 weekly lottery with all deaths over 6 months - he was talking about odds at the moment. But the point is that the statement was not true.

I think you should add to the deaths also all the people that went into intensive care and ultimately survived.
2 weeks with pipes down your throat, on a bed fed by tubes, with somebody else taking care of your cleaning your body "waste". With some likely long lasting side effects.
So the chances of getting Covid and suffer heavily from it are actually higher than 1 in 1333....
To state that the chances are less than winning the lottery is not only mathematical nonsense, it is outright misinformation. It cannot be said as a joke or sarcasm because it gives the false impression that it is safe to ignore all the rules because it is so rare to get Covid that it is easier to win the lottery. Utter BS. The fact and the peculiarity of Covid is that it is very easy to transmit, otherwise we wouldn't be in such situation
We’re on the same page Calimili, that was the point I was trying to make to BendRos following his lottery comment. I’m sure he is in no way trivialising Covid victims but I’m at odds with his views on the measures being taken.

I read somewhere you are five times more likely to be struck by lightning than you are of winning the lottery, so to say an outrageous untruth that you are more likely to win the lottery than die of Covid is just completely ridiculous

Last edited:
The fact is that no one knows who has the virus and who hasn't. You can be tested with a negative result and twenty four hours later tested again and be positive so you really don't know who you have been close to or if anyone has left the virus in toilets or showers. This is why we are staying at home and not taking any risks. Everyone has their opinion and it's evident from this thread that some people are quite prepared to take chances which may put themselves and others at risk. There's a difference between need and want.

Last edited:
I know OF 4 people who have been ill with it,

The perfectly healthy runner in Taunton, husband of a friend of mine. 49 years old, Diagnosed COVID, deceased 4 days after diagnosis.

A friend and ex personal trainer, a professional associate of his whom I had met a couple of times, this person, a personal trainer and fitness advisor also, 31 years old, still with respiratory problems and fatigue 8 weeks after diagnosis.

A friend, 52 years old, female, healthy, runner, manager in a clinical research facility, severe fatigue for 6 weeks and sense of smell lost for 8 weeks.

Another friend, living in Manchester, 62 years old female, again extremely fit and healthy, severe headache, sore throat, respiratory problems, thoroughly unpleasant experience for a few days, totally recovered after 10.

The above, plus a doctor friend who was working at the coal face through April to June and has seen a lot of distressing, wholly horrible cases, are enough to convince me that it is really something that I should do my very best not to catch, therefore protecting me and anyone I come into contact with, and the guidelines are for my safety and therefore something that I should follow.

Now, I am not a doctor nor in anyway have had an education that could lead me to dispute evidence, findings and opinions of those who by peer judgement are called "competent in the field" so I have no reason to challenge the guidelines and every reason to do all I can not to catch the thing and spread it around.

Each to their own opinion that can be respectfully listened and responded to.

Last edited:
In answer to your question I personally know 3 people who have had a severe COVID-19 infection and one tragically died (in his 40’s).
Additionally, in March/April alone there were 27 Covid deaths in the care home in Aylesbury where my dad is a resident and several staff also contracted the disease. My daughter in law is a nurse and has told me that several of her colleagues have been infected.

Sadly again posts attacking people not opinions are occurring. The three cocks is getting rather full so thread-distancing is becoming harder and harder to manage so let's not go there.

Back