Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan and Motorhome Club the last straw

People are going to look back on 2020 as being one of the biggest indecisive cockups and wasted loss of human life in this century....

and I think it will also be the year that we realised just how deeply self centered, thick and selfish we are. Brexit did a great job in dividing us but it's got nothing on COVID. My eyes have been opened to the types of stupidity outhere in our streets and neighborhoods.

2020 is quite the balls-up!

A bit like Brexit this, there are obviously very different views on thIs situation and I don’t think minds will be changed.
There are those who acknowledge that we are living through an extremely difficult time and are accepting of government guidance (Even necessary u-turns) and those who deny the severity of the pandemic and blame the government for any restrictions on their personal lives.
I have friends who see no risk, they have been on two holidays to Greece in the last month (full flights each time). Personally, I wouldn’t get on an aircraft just yet.
As WG said previously we will ALL pay for this pandemic - probably across the next decade or two.
BTW, Way back in the 1960’s I failed my A-Level maths but can somebody advise why my sums on this are wrong? 60,000,000 ( UK population) divided by 45,000 (Covid deaths) equals 1,333. Doesn’t that give us odds of 1 in 1333 ? What am I missing?

It depends on your definition of winning the lottery.

I haven’t played it since its early years, but back then matching 3 numbers made you a £10 winner at odds of ~1:100.

Have you won the lottery if you win £10 (minus the £1 stake). It could be argued either way.

It depends on your definition of winning the lottery.

I haven’t played it since its early years, but back then matching 3 numbers made you a £10 winner at odds of ~1:100.

Have you won the lottery if you win £10 (minus the £1 stake). It could be argued either way.
For most people winning THE lottery means winning the jackpot . On the other hand winning ON the lottery means winning any prize. But this does not change the fact that the initial claim was ridiculous.

Chatting to a british couple in the adjoining pitch at Annecy, they were both very athletic 60 somethings (cycling, 1/2 marathons etc) both had c.v. in March and said it was the worst thing they had ever encountered. Just about managed to stay out of hospital but very debilitating and unpleasant.

I personally don’t know anyone who has had Covid...That’s how I would like it to stay..

Overall in the UK about 1:200 people have tested positive to CV. Almost certainly more people have been infected and recovered without confirmation of the disease.

My brother thinks he became infected after picking up his sick daughter from university.

A close friend who is a GP tested positive for the antibody test after already knowing she’d had CV several months earlier, and while our hapless Government were denying there was community transmission of the illness.

Surprised that they haven’t done it more as would be an easy revenue stream and easy to check without a visit (Just need to track your mobile phone signal); Our 14 days period ends on Saturday, and have obeyed the rules but now disappointed after reading WG post as no visit for us!
You leave you phone at home, or turn off roaming (and apps). You use cash, so no trace on your cards (that is IF you desire to follow your own instincts).

We have been travelling around Scotland for the last 3 weeks using Caravan and Motorhome Club sites only.Up until today we have been reasonably happy with their COVID restrictions regarding toilets / showers , several different methods mostly involving wrist bands to restrict numbers.
However today arriving at Marragowan things have turned into ludicrous.
A full 97 pitch site, between the hours of 0700 and 2100 there is just one toilet available ! Unless you have booked in a 20 minute slot to use one of the 2 blocks for sole use.These slots can be booked from midday !
Also incredibly they have shut the dishwashing area.
Unbelievably poor.

Will be talking to Warden’s tomorrow, but looking at the site reviews they are a grumpy bunch.

The site is in a nice location though

Dave and Lisa

Covid is an insignificant risk. You have a 1 in 3 chance of dying from cancer which is at least partially avoidable. Likewise with heart disease etc. The current risk of dying from Covid is about 1 in 2500. The disease is so mild 84 percent of people who’ve had it didn’t even notice it (maybe that includes me?) Life is all about enjoyment and risk management. I choose not to worry about Covid but others do. That’s their choice. I don’t impose my views on them but they want to impose their views on me. Thankfully I live in the centre of a large city and most people share my views. We had two street parties during lockdown and I imagine there’ll be a few more to follow. These are the risks we choose to take.

Covid is an insignificant risk. You have a 1 in 3 chance of dying from cancer which is at least partially avoidable. Likewise with heart disease etc. The current risk of dying from Covid is about 1 in 2500. The disease is so mild 84 percent of people who’ve had it didn’t even notice it (maybe that includes me?) Life is all about enjoyment and risk management. I choose not to worry about Covid but others do. That’s their choice. I don’t impose my views on them but they want to impose their views on me. Thankfully I live in the centre of a large city and most people share my views. We had two street parties during lockdown and I imagine there’ll be a few more to follow. These are the risks we choose to take.
Pure selfishness. What about the risk you pose to others?

These are the risks you choose to take at the potential expense of others , rave on ! Hope you don’t have any family !

These are the risks you choose to take at the potential expense of others , rave on ! Hope you don’t have any family !

I have two young kids.
We are happy with the risks we choose to take. That’s why we live in the centre of a large city rather than the suburbs or the countryside. Each to their own.

Do you holiday in the countryside in your Cali ?!

Back in May, my partner was offered a home ‘CV swab test’ via our GP. It arrived by courier and was picked up by courier after she completed the test. 7 days later she received a letter to say it had tested positive! She had absolutely no symptoms at all and the delay in notification had obviously put myself and our daughter at risk. Neither of us showed any signs of the infection and have been fine ever since. But the point is, one may be carrying the disease without knowing and you may well be infecting others who are susceptible to it if you don’t treat it seriously. So please don’t take risks with other people’s lives.

Big storm, big teacup.

This thread is about the intrusive effect of CV measures on our camping lifestyle.

If anyone wishes to discuss statistics, measures, risk to others then please, be my guest, post in 3 cocks.

We have been around this inflammatory maypole so many times.... any more then go and raise your own thread, leave it out here.

You have more chance of winning the lottery at the moment in the U.K. than catching Covid. The UK is acting in a ridiculous way.

I speak as a person that lives between the U.K. & Portugal and visits other European countries often. My UK Law Practice has continued throughout, while being Covid secure & not closed for a single hour through this.

Heaven knows what deprived nations think of our Western attitude towards all this.

Update on the crazy lottery analogy.

Those hoping that luck alone will protect them from being infected with the novel coronavirus were issued a stark reminder from a leading expert at the World Health Organization on Wednesday.
Dr Mike Ryan, Executive Director of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme, told the public that you are statistically more likely to win the lottery than escape an infection of Covid-19.

Chance of winning euro millions jackpot this *week* is 1 in 139,838,160, Chance of catching covid today in the Uk around 1 in 17,500. This means you are roughly 250,000 times more likely to catch covid than win the jackpot.
And covid kills. And if you catch it you might transmit it.

Chance of winning euro millions jackpot this *week* is 1 in 139,838,160, Chance of catching covid today in the Uk around 1 in 17,500. This means you are roughly 250,000 times more likely to catch covid than win the jackpot.
Exactly :)

I agree with everything you say but sadly those who will flout the rules will flout the rules regardless. Those who don't wash their hands or pay heed to personal hygiene will not suddenly do so because someone tells them to: those who will not keep a good space will still crowd people regardless: those who will not wear a face mask will continue to not wear a face mask unless someone with the authority to tell them to do so is standing right behind them with handcuffs ready.

The current situation is those who read, understand and follow the guidance will continue to follow those guidelines to protect themselves. Penalising those people by applying stringent controls on every aspect of someones life will never in a million years deter those who would flout any and every rule regardless.
Totally agree, but we need ‘enforcement’ ... where are and what are the police force doing at the moment... fed up hearing “they can’t do anything”

Well let's stop playing Covid and protect yourself from the lottery!
No wait...

I’m writing this from the Marragowan site. When we arrived we too were aghast at the arrangements however, after speaking to the wardens, I now understand their logic.
HQ advised them that the physical layout of the toilet/ shower blocks do not support the use of the rubber band system ( due to restricted queueing space). They therefore adopted the time slot booking. Again, at first, we thought this was a strange arrangement but the time slot gives everyone in a family group / pitch sole use of the facilities for 20 minutes. Whilst having to book a slot is frustrating, it does remove the need to queue and allows you to plan accordingly.
It would seem everyone is simply doing their best.

Back