Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan and camping club

Well,

After my earlier comments:

I had a sudden need to be in Poole today. Needing to stop overnight I had a choice. I normally stop at a Britstop in Furzehill, about 10 miles away but for tonight wanted to be away from the temptation of Alcohol. I also wanted an EHU as it is a working visit so want to use an electric kettle and my Remoska.

I tried a CL five miles away, but reading the reviews the EHU was intermittent, only about 6A and the site was at the end of the main Airport Runway, not conducive to the peace and quiet I need.

I then tried a CS 5 miles away, A wash basin and toilet for amenities, EHU but being Easter week I was told rather stiffly that just an overnight stopover was about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

So, off the top of my head, a quick phone call to the CAMC at Wareham, about 13 miles away. A most pleasant site manager answered, of course they could fit me in. Turned up, plugged in, lovely pitch, only disturbance is the bird noise, parked almost opposite the standard, immaculate facilities so popping over for a nice hot shower, all for £3 more than the concrete slab at the end of the Runway and the same price as the cold-water only wash hand basin offered by those who really do not want one-nighters like me.

Now I know why I each year I pay my membership fee without really giving it a thought.

Well,

After my earlier comments:

I had a sudden need to be in Poole today. Needing to stop overnight I had a choice. I normally stop at a Britstop in Furzehill, about 10 miles away but for tonight wanted to be away from the temptation of Alcohol. I also wanted an EHU as it is a working visit so want to use an electric kettle and my Remoska.

I tried a CL five miles away, but reading the reviews the EHU was intermittent, only about 6A and the site was at the end of the main Airport Runway, not conducive to the peace and quiet I need.

I then tried a CS 5 miles away, A wash basin and toilet for amenities, EHU but being Easter week I was told rather stiffly that just an overnight stopover was about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

So, off the top of my head, a quick phone call to the CAMC at Wareham, about 13 miles away. A most pleasant site manager answered, of course they could fit me in. Turned up, plugged in, lovely pitch, only disturbance is the bird noise, parked almost opposite the standard, immaculate facilities so popping over for a nice hot shower, all for £3 more than the concrete slab at the end of the Runway and the same price as the cold-water only wash hand basin offered by those who really do not want one-nighters like me.

Now I know why I each year I pay my membership fee without really giving it a thought.
Nice circular walk into Wareham from the site too!

After reading not only this thread, but others on the forum, we’ve joined the CMC. Personally we had mixed experience of private sites last year, so I just hope we all like the ethos of the club sites.

Our first CMC mini-break is later this week, so looking forward to it. I always say, if I’m the worst behaved on the campsite, then everyone will be fine :thumb

Since we have been just two of us in the camper we have never had any liking for 'organised' camp sites of any description so neither clubs are of interest to us. We live 70% of the year on a 1960s housing estate with superb neighbours all around us. However when we get in the camper we search out remote overnight stops well away from regimented parking, many of which are no more than a few pound per night and often free.

I realise that there are many folks that don't like being in remote unserviced places that they cannot book ahead to be sure of a plot and secure within a fence but that's not for us.

CaliGem if you,like us, own a camper to escape the rat race and enjoy the countryside don't bother with membership of any club. When need does arise, if it ever does, you can always drop into almost any campsite in the UK and certainly in mainland Europe without having paid a subscription to do it.

As for savings beyond the campsite fees I think with a bit of searching you will find you can get as good a deal or even better interdependently. If you need it all done for you then join the clubs and make your subscription work for you.
Thank you for your response

I'll be camping along with my 4 year old son so I really need to make sure I'm stopping in places where I feel we are both safe. Otherwise, your way sounds amazing

Before we bought our California 9 years ago we used to hire cottages for UK breaks. Once payed for, you are at the mercy of weather, even foot and mouth disease on one occasion, basically you are stuck there. That is why we bought a California 9 years ago. We love the flexibility, get up and go and follow the weather. We are members of the C&CC club but they are hopeless. Try and get a last minute booking in a popular area and you can forget it unless you book it for 3 or 5 days and even then it's not guaranteed, I don't want to spend 3 or 5 days in one place I like to explore and move on. We tried to book Glencoe 2 weeks ago, but no go, so ended up at Glenmore in Aviemore,(Camping in the Forrest) which was great and Keswick is full this week We have found there are plenty of non club sites more than happy to accommodate us.

Camping and Caravan Club seem to have more 'Grass Only' pitches.
Caravan and Motorhome only have them on 12 sites.
As I never hook up its the only option.
Over 60 discount works for me.

Last edited:
Camping and Caravan Club seem to have more 'Grass Only' pitches.
Caravan and Motorhome only have them on 12 sites.
As I never hook up its the only option.
Over 60 discount works for me.
Yes agree the over 60 discount is great!

Both clubs work for me. They can be full, but that only proves popularity. And with the massive increase in big whites, these sites and other like them might be our only stops in the future. Freedom of choice but suits many.

Both Clubs have Rules and because of their size Benefits so as a Member you accept those rules or you don’t join, and if you are someone who enjoys all night drinking or barbecue gatherings or just let the children do as they want then they have sanctions all of which you accept as a Member. I’ve been on sites where young kids hold mini motorcycle cycle races around the camp, against the “camp” rules but no one takes a blind bit of notice.

Both Clubs have Rules and because of their size Benefits so as a Member you accept those rules or you don’t join, and if you are someone who enjoys all night drinking or barbecue gatherings or just let the children do as they want then they have sanctions all of which you accept as a Member. I’ve been on sites where young kids hold mini motorcycle cycle races around the camp, against the “camp” rules but no one takes a blind bit of notice.
We find that the CMC has clearly defined pitches, you are sent out to find an empty one that suits, more expensive but normally super facilities. Most CCC sites allocate you a pitch which can be in the middle of a field which means your neighbours can treat your pitch as a path to the dog walk area or facilities, the compensation is the cheaper fees for oldies and some great city sites.

We find that the CMC has clearly defined pitches, you are sent out to find an empty one that suits, more expensive but normally super facilities. Most CCC sites allocate you a pitch which can be in the middle of a field which means your neighbours can treat your pitch as a path to the dog walk area or facilities, the compensation is the cheaper fees for oldies and some great city sites.
Also no upfront fees for the CMC and hassle free cancellation if done 72hrs before arrival date.

Also no upfront fees for the CMC and hassle free cancellation if done 72hrs before arrival date.
Even able to cancel within the 72hrs but are put on the naughty list!

My gripe with the CCC rules are the restrictions on single night bookings at certain sites at weekends.

The one piece of learning I always pass on about the CCC, is that the sites are often named after places they are nowhere near and often a bit more remote. It's my only bugbear with them really. If you know before booking however and check on a map, it's not so frustrating. I suspect they expect you to leave your caravan and drive around rather than walk or cycle to places.

The Oban site was 12+ miles from Oban for example and as lovely as it was it was in the middle of nowhere. As you will know 12 Scottish miles take longer to travel. :)

https://www.campingandcaravanningcl...nal-campsites/scotland-campsites/Campsite_34/ but actually 12.4 miles from where their website says it is but they have at least added the distance to the website now which wasnt there when we used it. So maybe they've taken that feedback on board.

We are currently at CMC Brecon Beacons. It is a good site excellent facilities, but too big for my liking, stacked full of large caravans and White Whales. It gives me the feeling of being on a housing estate.

If I had a preference it would be for a smaller site with owners that enjoyed running a campsite.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I am on a tiny campsite in the wilds of Suffolk on a farm. Just one other tent here and lots of owls.

No white vehicles in sight - must be the lack of electricity and showers!

We are in the Caravan and Motorhome club for two reasons:
1) Their main sites have excellent shower and toilet facilities and Mrs B very much likes a nice comfortable warm shower in the morning.
2) For some reason they always seem to have sites where we want to go. Interestingly we also joined the other one (camping and caravanning club) but have used it only once.
In the end, with a bit of googling I think you can find perfectly good campsites without any kind of memberships

Agree. It’s really worthwhile to do some serious research and get independent feedback from others when using private sites. Essential even. Whilst the club sites are a lot of white boxes you do know what you’re getting and they’re far less of a risk, even if it is a bit Truman Show/Stepford Wives (and I do like parking my naughty grey Cali amongst said boxes!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been a member of the C&MH club, but I have been a member of the C&CC for 30 years.
What I have noticed is that as tents and campervans are not huge people generally have to come outside and mix with other people to get water, wash up and generally do things. When I have stayed around caravans or motor homes they tend to be so self sufficient that they don't need to come out and mix.

I wanted a site for 1 night, Sat 22nd of June near the Black Country Museum. The site finder offered me 2 from the C&CC. The first one, Clent Hills wanted two nights, the second one Wolverly was happy for one night and as I am a senior citizen it has only cost me £7.50. Is it worth the membership fee? Yes.

Last edited:
The C&CC also has a membership rate for Veteran Members which gives a discount off the standard Membership rate. To be eligible for the Veteran Membership, you will need to meet the following criteria:
  • Entering into your 26th year of membership, or more
  • Have completed 25 consecutive years with the Club
  • Currently eligible to claim state pension
  • Able to provide proof of age (such as valid passport, driving licence or birth certificate)
Upon successful application, your membership will be changed to Veteran and will be reflected on your next membership card.

As others have said earlier on this thread, there are a large number of very good private sites around which we happily use but they can be expensive. To be able to spend a night on a very comfortable club site for under £10 at relatively short notice is very welcome and well worth the membership fee.

The C&CC also has a membership rate for Veteran Members which gives a discount off the standard Membership rate. To be eligible for the Veteran Membership, you will need to meet the following criteria:
  • Entering into your 26th year of membership, or more
  • Have completed 25 consecutive years with the Club
  • Currently eligible to claim state pension
  • Able to provide proof of age (such as valid passport, driving licence or birth certificate)
Upon successful application, your membership will be changed to Veteran and will be reflected on your next membership card.

As others have said earlier on this thread, there are a large number of very good private sites around which we happily use but they can be expensive. To be able to spend a night on a very comfortable club site for under £10 at relatively short notice is very welcome and well worth the membership fee.
CMC?

As an update to my post of a couple of weeks ago, I asked about the minimum 2 night rule when I booked my 1 night at a C&CC last Saturday. I had booked a grass pitch with no electric hook up and with my Senior discount it was £7.50. The warden said it is much easier to find a spare grass pitch for someone who doesn't require an EHU, so it is always worth asking.
In a Cali, unless you have to use 240v appliances, you can easily survive on leisure batteries for a few nights.

As an update to my post of a couple of weeks ago, I asked about the minimum 2 night rule when I booked my 1 night at a C&CC last Saturday. I had booked a grass pitch with no electric hook up and with my Senior discount it was £7.50. The warden said it is much easier to find a spare grass pitch for someone who doesn't require an EHU, so it is always worth asking.
In a Cali, unless you have to use 240v appliances, you can easily survive on leisure batteries for a few nights.
The problem I found was that the site (Chichester) wouldn’t allow the single night (a Friday) to be booked until midday on the Friday so it’s no use for planning ahead. Luckily there’s a brilliant little CS just up the road.

I think a lot depends on the warden and possibly how many of the non-EHU pitches they have. One of the C&CC sites I tried was OK with me booking, the other wasn't.

You only get an extension if you renew your membership for another year. I've had enough of this company and have cancelled mine. Independent sites from now on. They are far better. Stick your minimum 3 night stays and dumb magazine about tyre pressures up the same arse your always up.goodbye and good riddance