Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can't connect AppConnect ! Apple Car Play

I've found the cause of my problems - its a work phone, installed with VMWare Airwatch.

I had a new iPhone7 this week - first thing I did was connect it seamlessly :) hurrah. But disaster struck, when I then installed the work email & Airwatch (mandatory), which has put me back in the same position as before...

Any tech savvy Cali owners out there??? There must be a workaround.

Interesting info Mark - thanks for sharing. I actually still have an ongoing issue with Carplay and hanging up all the AND I'm in the same situation with Airwatch on the phone (also compulsory for work email) I can imagine this little bit of spyware would really cause an issue given how controlling it is of the phone. I've wiped it (and work email!) off my phone and will see how it improves connectivity.. Will report back

Not the first time I've seen the name Airwatch in ios issues, it also causes issues with Apple watches too apparently.

Many of these apps will have security profiles installed such as to force a password and pin etc, whatever the fault I believe its the app thats locking out something that carplay needs.

Have you tried unlockng the phone before connecting it? Only thing I could think of that might get around it.

Not the first time I've seen the name Airwatch in ios issues, it also causes issues with Apple watches too apparently.
Interesting - not really tried that but my phone is certainly running better since I took it off for the first time in years. Watch has never been an issue.
With regards to appconnect - I've tried all sorts over the year - lock/ unlock - hard restart on the head unit is best, its still quirky now (old iphone 6, new OS11...) but generally this week even when it fails to connect to Carplay first time it gets it second attempt. Airwatch on there it would just cycle trying indefinitely. As you say tho - its a very controlling app - checking pass codes, software, phone finding and remote locking all via Airwatch, its easy to see why it would cause issues.

Now I seem to have circumvented things and have it working!

I also have a VPN app which I launched and Airwatch self service app installedm which I opened up. Seems too coincidental to not be involved.

But I have access to Google maps, Spotify, text messaging, etc now.

The only thing I cant seem to use is the 'Waze' sat nav app, which I'm sure should work...

I'm back to no Carplay at all this morning 'Reading USB device' then no joy - no options other than Appconnect are appearing. The only change I've made of late is an update yesterday to OSX 11.2.5 (beta) .
I'm assuming the OSX updates are playing around with the Carplay settings - connectivity has been fairly variable of late, I suspect as a part of numerous OSX updates going on in the background.
This latest issue is the worst I've seen - none of the old workarounds are effective (just did a fluff check in the socket before writing.....)
Anybody else having the issue today?

11.2.5 is official now and out of beta.
Have you tried to powercycle the head unit? You press volume knob for 30 seconds and it will restart.

didnt realise it was out of beta - may well be another issue but its the only change since last use...
Button reset trick is not working - may do a factory reset on the head unit.
I've been meaning to post on this thread a while now - I'm less convinced its the Airwatch app thats slowing down the phone and the Carplay connection.

I had no carplay yesterday and had to reboot the iphone to fix it.

I have a new and interesting carplay issue;
set head unit to play the radio (dab)
connect iphone, switch head unit to carplay and view the map whilst driving or navigating to a destination.

every now and again the radio goes quiet, comes back, and the screen switches back to the radio display.
This is quite annoying as I am trying to see the map at junctions and roundabouts etc.
If I press the [Menu] button and select carplay, the map comes back for a while then it happens again.

I thought it might be poor radio signal but a test of not connecting the phone stops the radio from cutting out so I am sure this is the carplay disconnecting and reconnecting rather than the radio drop out.. very annoying.

I might just go back to a new TomTom device (as the iPad app is no longer supported) :rage

Not ideal but a full factory reset on the head unit did the trick this time. (phone restart did nothing...) Connected immediately and seems (so far) to be working quicker and more efficiently than I remember in a long time despite my aging iPhone 6 (and its 80% battery capacity!)

now today I have another issue, listening to Radio, plug in phone, HU switches to carplay and shows the messages screen, press the radio button it switches back to the messages screen, press radio again you half a second of radio then it switches to messages again... and so on.
The only way I can stop this is to start music on the phone and then press radio again...

Must search for a firmware update for the composition media unit..

now today I have another issue, listening to Radio, plug in phone, HU switches to carplay and shows the messages screen, press the radio button it switches back to the messages screen, press radio again you half a second of radio then it switches to messages again... and so on.
The only way I can stop this is to start music on the phone and then press radio again...

Must search for a firmware update for the composition media unit..

Looks like there are some fixes for CarPlay in latest version 11.2.5

Mike

So I tested this all again with Mrs Loz's iPhone 7 and her's works fine with no cutting out, the next step in this case is to reset my iPhone but I don't like loosing all my settings and stored wi-fi passwords etc... grrr

I have CarPlay in my car and have mixed feelings about it. The only useful app seems to be Apple Maps but they are not as good as the installed sat nav. Possibly the ability to receive and send a text, but more hassle than it’s worth. I can use Amazon Music but it always seems to hang. I don’t have Spotify.

Waze, Google maps or any other useful app cannot be used, at least in mine.

Most of the other stuff works through Bluetooth anyway with the advantage I can keep the phone in my pocket. (I always seem to forget to remove the phone when the lightning cable is attached.)

What other advantages are there with CarPlay? I suspect Apple has things pretty much tied down as usual, and Android may be more easy going.

Hi - the Airwatch software can be configured to disable/protect lots of options on your phone - so it depends on the policies that your employer has configured on the airwatch platform as to what is affected. As a result no two users would necessarily have the same issues - as even within the same company different profiles can be pushed down creating different persona profiles. You may be able to see the restrictions - if you go to Settings > General and scroll down there should be a menu item underneath "VPN" called "Device Management". Go into that and you may find "Workspace Services" - tap this and you may see the basic details, there is then another "More Details" which may explain more.

Bottom line is with Airwatch installed you may well get random issues so avoid it on your personal device if you can for less problems - difficult if you have to use it for work, or you are reliant on your work phone.

Hope that helps explain a bit. :)

So I tested this all again with Mrs Loz's iPhone 7 and her's works fine with no cutting out, the next step in this case is to reset my iPhone but I don't like loosing all my settings and stored wi-fi passwords etc... grrr
Do a backup and then restore from the backup after you have done a complete reset. If that works you will have saved yourself some bother.

Yea I backed up and reset it today, Im going to test it tomorrow if it fixes it I’ll restore and test again..

Hi. No need to lose any key data and passwords etc. Just make sure you do a back up to iCloud or to a Mac/PC/Laptop via iTunes. Then restore from the last backup - everything where you left it.

Hi. No need to lose any key data and passwords etc. Just make sure you do a back up to iCloud or to a Mac/PC/Laptop via iTunes. Then restore from the last backup - everything where you left it.
Thank's I know that, (but you must also choose encrypt backup to store passwords) but the problem is stored in the backup... the reset fixed it..

Back