Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can tailgate open with trailer hitched?

thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Hi

looking at getting a small-ish camping trailer - can anyone here who uses a trailer advise if the tailgate is able to open without fouling on the trailer/jockey wheel?

Hi

looking at getting a small-ish camping trailer - can anyone here who uses a trailer advise if the tailgate is able to open without fouling on the trailer/jockey wheel?
Hi, unfortunately the answer is - depends. The smaller trailers tend to have a shorter A frames and so higher the chances of fouling (especially if they have a tall jockey wheel).

The larger trailers have a longer A frames and the jockey wheels are further away from the gate and allow opening up the gate very easily.

Any specific trailer you have in mind? If you are able to post the trailer and/or the possible use, you may get more specific answers. :thumb

I was looking at the brenderup 1205s xl or the anssems gt500 181/gt 750 201

After researching bike racks thoroughly I came to the conclusion that the tailgate mounted rack is a faff because you can’t open the tailgate without unloading the bikes. Next train of thought was towbar mounted carriers which led me to a trailer. I also wanted the ability to store extra camping accessories out with the van but when I looked at towbar carriers + carrier mounted storage boxes you’re nearly spending as much as a small trailer costs and I figure if I get a tall enough trailer I can dispense with the faff of strapping bikes onto a rack and just throw them in the trailer along with the awning/bbq/ all the other crap you take with you when you have kids and a missus who can’t go on a trip without copious amounts of accoutrement

Hi, unfortunately the answer is - depends. The smaller trailers tend to have a shorter A frames and so higher the chances of fouling (especially if they have a tall jockey wheel).

The larger trailers have a longer A frames and the jockey wheels are further away from the gate and allow opening up the gate very easily.

Any specific trailer you have in mind? If you are able to post the trailer and/or the possible use, you may get more specific answers. :thumb
My experience is the opposite. With my small trailer I can open the tail gate. With my larger one with a handbrake, I cannot.

Yes I do.

You can open the tail gate fully with the trailer attached but you have to drop the jockey wheel first.
I’ve learnt my lesson on not forgetting to check it’s been put it back up. Decent jockey wheel assemblies aren’t cheap!

The tailgate only just clears both the hitch and the cage front on my Ifor Williams T6 trailer. Similar on my Polish built 750kgs trailer. Don't recall a problem with the jockey wheel being up.

Back