Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can anyone recommend a 2 person inflatable canoe?

I looked into this last summer when they were all sold out. Decathlon seemed very good. I bet there are a lot on Ebay now from people who used them twice. Sevylor is the other good brand.
My wife has been looking, but they seem to sell almost for the new price (though they often come with paddles and jackets!)

I would warn that if you have not paddled an inflatable kayak/canoe, they are a bit of a compromise compared to a solid boat. For a family I would suggest looking at a canoe style of boat with single bladed paddles rather than the double kayak paddle.
Thanks for the comments. My wife and I have canoed in Canada before, she struggled quite a lot with the paddling technique, whereas she is fine with solid kayaks.

Decathlon do a more expensive range that have a high pressure floor, but then they are getting closer to the more expensive brand prices https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/infla...0-high-pressure-dropstitch-floor/_/R-p-303057

Agree on the Gumotex inflatable kayaks/canoes, although think some models may be outside of the £500 budget. Might be lucky on the second hand market though. Excellent build quality and worth their price as built to last.
We wanted a kayak/canoe for the two of us and our large dog to explore rivers and estuaries and our shortlist was between a 3 person Gumotex Seawave kayak and a 3 person Gumotex Scout canoe. Ended up with the Seawave as it can be used as a 1/2 man sea kayak with a removable spray deck if things are a bit choppy. It also fits under the boot (in the raised position) as it is the size of a very large rucksack when packed.
I've heard good things about the Sevylor kayaks and are reasonably priced for their quality.
Hi calibear ,I am looking to purchase a seawave but just worried about the size of the pack ie how much room it takes up.
we are planning on travelling through France and onto Italy and using the kayak in the Italian lakes , room in the Cali as we know is limited,could it be mounted to the bike rack?

Hi calibear ,I am looking to purchase a seawave but just worried about the size of the pack ie how much room it takes up.
we are planning on travelling through France and onto Italy and using the kayak in the Italian lakes , room in the Cali as we know is limited,could it be mounted to the bike rack?
Hi Defender90,

The Seawave weighs 17/18 Kg plus any accessories, and they now come with a rucksack dry bag which packs down relatively small and can also be used to store stuff while using the kayak.
I don't have the packed dimensions to hand, but it would definitely fit on the California bike rack in it's dry bag, although I would be wary of leaving it unattended in case someone tries to steal it.

I believe the weight capacity of the VW bike rack is much greater than that (I think 60 Kg on the tailgate including the weight of the rack).

We take ours in the boot of the Cali as it fits lengthways under the parcel/bed shelf (although we have this on it's higher level of the two heights (T6)).

Great kayak, we love ours!
Hope you have some great adventures with yours!

Hi Defender90,

The Seawave weighs 17/18 Kg plus any accessories, and they now come with a rucksack dry bag which packs down relatively small and can also be used to store stuff while using the kayak.
I don't have the packed dimensions to hand, but it would definitely fit on the California bike rack in it's dry bag, although I would be wary of leaving it unattended in case someone tries to steal it.

I believe the weight capacity of the VW bike rack is much greater than that (I think 60 Kg on the tailgate including the weight of the rack).

We take ours in the boot of the Cali as it fits lengthways under the parcel/bed shelf (although we have this on it's higher level of the two heights (T6)).

Thanks for that I have also looked at the twist2 and solar both look good,the twist is light but the material is thinner which concerns me.

still undecided lol

Thanks for that I have also looked at the twist2 and solar both look good,the twist is light but the material is thinner which concerns me.

still undecided lol
Did you look at the Thaya ? when I'll need to upgrade I'm confident the Thaya will be in my shortlist, I like the fact that it has a dropstitch bottom. 10% larger than the Seawave, so a bit more stable, but slighlty shorter and therefore a little slower.... But I'd definitely be wary of having it on the bike rack, unless I am not stopping enroute.

still undecided lol
On the Gumotex brochure both the Twist 2 and the solar are listed as having Nitrilon material construction, which is listed as the same as the Seawave. Whether or not this is the same thickness I haven't seen either of these to compare, but the twist is rated to grade 1 white water and the solar and seawave are grade 2.
This might mean the twist has thinner material due to lower white water grading, but I would also guess that the size difference between these makes a difference as the Seawave is 455cm long, where as the twist 2 is only 360cm long.

If you can get to one of the uk suppliers (all fall under canoe shops uk) to try to view them.
Personally it all would depend on what you where planning on using it for and how many people and kit you may take (obviously budget too, but these are really well made kayaks for the money).

Hope the specs below might help.
Screenshot_20220227-184856_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20220227-184856_Drive.jpg

Did you look at the Thaya ? when I'll need to upgrade I'm confident the Thaya will be in my shortlist, I like the fact that it has a dropstitch bottom. 10% larger than the Seawave, so a bit more stable, but slighlty shorter and therefore a little slower.... But I'd definitely be wary of having it on the bike rack, unless I am not stopping enroute.
The Thaya looks great with the dropstitch floor to help stop flex in the middle.
The Rush 2 also has a hybrid dropstitch floor and bow panels with an integrated skeg/keel design to help tracking.

The Thaya is only a two man kayak and although 6cm wider is shorter in length by 45cm.
All measurements are external so both internal widths would be smaller by the width of the sides.

Screenshot_20220227-190738_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20220227-190738_Drive.jpg

The Thaya looks great with the dropstitch floor to help stop flex in the middle.
The Rush 2 also has a hybrid dropstitch floor and bow panels with an integrated skeg/keel design to help tracking.

The Thaya is only a two man kayak and although 6cm wider is shorter in length by 45cm.
All measurements are external so both internal widths would be smaller by the width of the sides.

View attachment 89758View attachment 89758
Sorry I had meant to say the Thaya is a two man/woman size kayak with a child.
I would say from the dimensions this would be cosy for 2 adults and a child especially if either of the adults are tall.

still undecided lol
We have a Twist2. It's a different beast to the others, more a robust toy/ mucking about item than a serious kayak. It does have the advantage of being cheaper and packs a lot smaller. It's a lot lighter too, easier to take on flights. Fits easily under multiflex with room to spare.

You can paddle it with 2 depending on size but only if you are both at the lighter end of things. It's great solo. The current Twists are in same material as the dearer boats, there was a period when it had a lighter fabric.

We have a Twist2. It's a different beast to the others, more a robust toy/ mucking about item than a serious kayak. It does have the advantage of being cheaper and packs a lot smaller. It's a lot lighter too, easier to take on flights. Fits easily under multiflex with room to spare.

You can paddle it with 2 depending on size but only if you are both at the lighter end of things. It's great solo. The current Twists are in same material as the dearer boats, there was a period when it had a lighter fabric.
That’s interesting ,I read somewhere that it was a lighter fabric but the spec sheet says they are all the same.
I did look at the thaya but my only concern is the flat drop stitch hull on rough water it can slap the surface,but saying that we have a dog and the flat solid floor would be good.
The kayak would be used for general fun on sea lochs and rivers carrying me my wife and the dog

That’s interesting ,I read somewhere that it was a lighter fabric but the spec sheet says they are all the same.
I did look at the thaya but my only concern is the flat drop stitch hull on rough water it can slap the surface,but saying that we have a dog and the flat solid floor would be good.
The kayak would be used for general fun on sea lochs and rivers carrying me my wife and the dog
I think they tried a lighter material for a year or so but then reverted to the good stuff. There's a few reviews online from that time, as ever disgruntled users with damaged kit post bad news, satisfied users post less often.

Unless your dog is a yorkie or a chihuahua the twist 2 is definitely not for you.

I think they tried a lighter material for a year or so but then reverted to the good stuff. There's a few reviews online from that time, as ever disgruntled users with damaged kit post bad news, satisfied users post less often.

Unless your dog is a yorkie or a chihuahua the twist 2 is definitely not for you.
Lol, no she’s a boxer so I think the twist is a no go

The Rush 2 is definitely the one that comes closer to a rigid kayak, but it comes with a much higher price. I'd love it though...
it really depends on total people (+dog) weight as it carries slightly less .

They are wonderful loving dogs. Scoobie is 12 in July and Teddie is 7 in April and still mad as a hatter

Kleppers are pretty good and breakdown (not in a mechanical sense)

Hi Defender90,

I have purchased a seawave the pack size isn’t that bad fits under the rear parcel shelf and loads of room too spare,looking forward to using it very soon thanks for the advice

Back