Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can anyone help a rookie with specs please?

W

willdabeest

VIP Member
Hi all, after weeks of indecision I have finally decided to buy a Cali and could use some help from experts, as this will be my first van.
We are a family of four, our daughter is disabled so we are buying van from Jubilee in Birmingham who can adapt it for a wheelchair (just a ramp and a fixture for the wheelchair in the floor rails). This means a new van is VAT exempt, which will clearly make a massive difference to the price.
We will mainly use the van for weekend camping trips and festivals, plus maybe a longer summer holiday once a year. We will also use it as a second car, mainly at weekends.
Could anyone answer the following questions please?

1: Which engine size is best for our needs? I think 140 is probably adequate, we don't need masses of power, but everyone seems to recommend the 180 so I am open to advice.
2: Should we go for DSG, 4-Motion, or both? I quite like driving automatics but is it really worth the extra cash? I like the idea of 4-wheel drive when leaving a muddy festival, but realistically how often does it come in handy?
3: I was planning to include privacy glass, MFSW, RNS510 with DAB, sand beige, bike rack, awning, bluetooth, parking sensors. Anything else that's a must or any of those not worth getting?
4: I'm not a big fan of the standard upholstery - has anyone got the Alcantara Melange? Happy with it? Or is it an unnecessary expense?
5: Can anyone recommend a drive-away awning and is it easy to fit on the factory awning rail?

I think that's it for now, any help would be most appreciated so that I can finally commit and stop dithering..

Hi willdabeest
Welcome aboard the Cali train... :D

I to had those dilemmas you have before I bought my Calais last year
The best advise I would give would be to trawl through some of the posts on here like I done
Lots of info if you have the time and will help a lot

Good luck and hope you have many years of happy motoring... :thumb

On the engine thing - we got a 180, but only because that was what was available as an ex-demo we would have been happy with a 140 or a 180. We hires a T5 conversion with 90 BHP and even that was OK - just noticed it on motorway hills a bit, so I imagine a 140 will be cool.

140's are cheaper to maintain (not an issue under warranty - but might be if it is a keeper)

180's are really smooth.

Both about the same MPG, unless you actually use the 180! For normal driving they are about the same - there is a long thread on here about that somewhere.

We were looking for a manual, but got a DSG and we love it :)

On the seats - just get the standard ones and then get inka seat covers - that just reduces the stress of kids dropping stuff on the them. The inkas are just plain black, beige or grey so fairly unoffensive.

Your spec looks pretty spot on - the RNS is expensive to fit and you can do it cheaper as a 2nd hand retro fit, but if you want RNS and DAB they are still quite rare. Bike rack can be added later obviously but if you are getting it all VAT free then I guess it pays to get the spec in the main deal. On that note you might want to consider a downstairs matress topper, although the VW one minus VAT might still be more expensive than the Comfortz one less the 10%

Can't help you on the 4Motion - we haven't got stuck with 2WD yet!

If your wheelchair fixings will be making use of the middle rail make sure you order the 5th seat option or else you'll be stuck with just the 2 rails that come as standard (the retro fit route is not easy at all). For the price it's a no brainer, in fact it's so cheap I'd have it anyway just for re-sale down the line.

Paul S said:
If your wheelchair fixings will be making use of the middle rail make sure you order the 5th seat option or else you'll be stuck with just the 2 rails that come as standard (the retro fit route is not easy at all). For the price it's a no brainer, in fact it's so cheap I'd have it anyway just for re-sale down the line.

Thanks Paul, not sure I quite understand this - does 5th seat option mean they put an extra rail in then? Excuse my ignorance. And would a 5th seat sit alongside a wheelchair or is that too much to fit in there?

Yes, with the 5th seat option there is a "middle rail" running down the van, I mentioned it as wasn't sure whether your wheelchair attachment points would utilise the standard rails or some combo of the outer and middle rail. You wouldn't get a wheelchair and the 5th seat in together sadly, the kitchen cabinet takes up too much space although I'm sure you could in a Beach as they've no such problem.

Thanks Paul that is very helpful - the extra seat could be really useful, hadn't really considered that before

Although not available as a factory extra, We bought a full set of wind blockers recently - the new design with drop-down privacy screening inside the standard mesh. I suspect that these could be really useful for you and your daughter - even one wind blocker at the windward end of the awning makes an amazing difference to the comfort sitting outside. They are so effective that when I was test fitting them in our garden the other week, with all three sides of mesh hanging down the wind was stopped entirely and it was too hot to concentrate under the awning! Also, they pack away into almost nothing. The only faff is the supporting pole system supplied but most users have quickly found a solution that suits them. It's really nice sitting under the awning with the two mesh sides down and gives considerable privacy whilst enabling you to enjoy the awning space as an almost draught-free outside room with clear views outwards all around. Drop the (optional) internal layer down and you have an instant awning-sized changing room, or in good weather, a large outside bedroom. It's not a drive-away solution but we used it for the first time last weekend in Suffolk and were really pleased with it. Wouldn't have been able to relax outside as a family with a month old baby otherwise because of the prevailing stiff breeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for all the responses...better get it ordered before I get distracted by more extras..