Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsites or Aire near Bordeaux or west

Kano

Kano

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi

I’m looking to camp in the west of France with my wife and two children (15yrs, 8 yrs). Want to mix it up with campsites and an Aire or two to keep the costs low. Any recommendations lovely people?

Has anyone booked using homecamper.com ?

Oh.. and we leave in two weeks !!!

Many thanks

Kids would probably love La Rive. Expensive though.
Loved it round Biscarrosse lake and Biscarrosse plage last year. Dune di Pilat is definitely worth a visit.

Not as far down as Bordeaux but Sequoia Park nr ile de Oleron was really nice a couple of years back

Hi

I’m looking to camp in the west of France with my wife and two children (15yrs, 8 yrs). Want to mix it up with campsites and an Aire or two to keep the costs low. Any recommendations lovely people?

Has anyone booked using homecamper.com ?

Oh.. and we leave in two weeks !!!

Many thanks

Can recommend below:

Small onsite bar, restaurant/ snack bar
50m from the beach,
200m walk into town, lots of restaurants,
Walking distance to supermarket,
Loads of traffic free bike tracks
High ropes adventure park nearby
Good uncrowded surf!..(+.surf school for kids / learners.)

Thanks for all the quick advice. I’ll be sure to check them all out!!

We find that although Aires have their uses and are mainly free they are very basic.. If you are with ACSI and go out of season there are hundreds of campsites from 12 to 20 euros..Some are absolutely fabulous....Aires we stop at are only if we can’t find a site with facilities...But everyone is different and I know that some spend their whole holiday on Aires....Don’t forget you are in a California and not a motor home and after a few days in 40 degrees it wouldn’t be too pleasant.....

We find that although Aires have their uses and are mainly free they are very basic.. If you are with ACSI and go out of season there are hundreds of campsites from 12 to 20 euros..Some are absolutely fabulous....Aires we stop at are only if we can’t find a site with facilities...But everyone is different and I know that some spend their whole holiday on Aires....Don’t forget you are in a California and not a motor home and after a few days in 40 degrees it wouldn’t be too pleasant.....
Thanks for the advice.

Hello

We have just done 17 nights in France during the heat. A USB Fan was great for us, and also sticking the engine on for 5 mins of air con to get rid of the hot air helps.

We had an ASCII card but I think the rates are only working for low summer season which has just ended??

The furthest South we went were:
Il de Rae - we loved La Flotte - it was 22 EUR per night when we were there and a really excellent site.

Yelloh village Parc Du Val De Loire - the favourite site of our trip and really great pool. The pitches look like they are well divided with enough privacy if it was full.

When compared to the Uk the campsites in France and Spain are an absolute bargain... When we first had our van we tried to get on a campsite in South Wales over Easter.. My wife went to the reception all innocent and asked how much she was told £75 , so she said was that for the week she was told oh no that’s per night... Needless to say we didn’t stay there.....The most we have ever paid in France or Spain is 24 euros..We have a Garmin GPS with campsite app, in France you can’t travel many miles without a campsite coming up..... Aires are in most villages in France....Can’t wait for out 3 weeks in September.....

We just came back from a tour de France starting from Belgium, over the Mont Saint Michel, Dune de Pilat and Bordeaux and is was lovely!
A top tip for saving money near the Dune de Pilat is to check some camp sites right at the coastal side.
They have next to the regular full option camp sites also the basic sites where you can pass an automated barrier and park there for very little. There are showers for surfers and automatic toilets which are surprisingly clean. And that's about it.
But the best bit is that there is also a free pass way for regular cars with a gantry gate to keep white whales out.
It says 1.80m but I am 1.97 and could easily pass underneath :veryfunny.
I believe you Brits have saying "The word is mum" :D

When compared to the Uk the campsites in France and Spain are an absolute bargain... When we first had our van we tried to get on a campsite in South Wales over Easter.. My wife went to the reception all innocent and asked how much she was told £75 , so she said was that for the week she was told oh no that’s per night... Needless to say we didn’t stay there.....The most we have ever paid in France or Spain is 24 euros..We have a Garmin GPS with campsite app, in France you can’t travel many miles without a campsite coming up..... Aires are in most villages in France....Can’t wait for out 3 weeks in September.....
£75!!! What the heck were they offering that was so special?! Anyway, thanks I will keep an eye on some village aires and maybe stay on my way back.