Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsites in the Lake District

FlyingFred

FlyingFred

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi folks,

I am looking to make my first ever trip to the Lake District later this month and, having never been there before, have no idea of the best areas for campervanning. It'll be just me, Mrs FF and our dog.

We like small sites like the certified Caravan & Camping club ones but would love to get some of your recommendations. We need showers & loos but not bothered about hookup.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

FF

Side Farm at Patterdale is my favourite. I've only ever camped there, but they do take vans. Along the road, Skyeside is nice as well, although only ever camped there as well… Good access to fells such as High Street and Place Fell.

The NT site at Wasdale is ok, I've camped and campervan'd that that one (tent pitches are nicer, you are pretty much on a road to some of the parking with the van, although not much in the way of traffic). Good access to Scarfell and Great Gable.

I find the NT site at Ambleside a bit big and the camper van bit is in the carpark, but the Sticklebarn pub along the road more than makes up for it and they allow fires :)

I like it here near Boot http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/cumbria/holmrook/eskdale

Great walking and some cycling from here. A couple of nice friendly pubs nearby. And a little train that'll run you down to the coast just down the road.
You can cycle to the coast on a bike track - which is mostly downhill (apart from the mother and father of all hills!) and then bung the bikes back on the small scale train to go back to the campsite.

Been to Scotsgate twice https://www.scotgateholidaypark.co.uk/ small very friendly site with a good pub 10 minute walk away plenty of cycling and walking at Whinlatter which is just up the road. very clean and tidy with a new modern shower block, shop and café also on site.

Thanks folks, keep 'em coming.

I forgot to mention I am quite a keen cyclist so any near good cycle trail are a bonus.

FF

Anyone tried Castlerigg farm? Booked to go there in weeks time so can report back later. Taking the road bike and after plotting a route decided that I needed to order a lower gear ratio!

Park foot at Ullswater. Third year we are going there. Good access to the lake and Pooley Bridge nearby is a wonderful village

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FlyingFred said:
Hi folks,

I am looking to make my first ever trip to the Lake District later this month and, having never been there before, have no idea of the best areas for campervanning. It'll be just me, Mrs FF and our dog.

We like small sites like the certified Caravan & Camping club ones but would love to get some of your recommendations. We need showers & loos but not bothered about hookup.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

FF

Try this web site http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

You can't go wrong basing yourself near Keswick if you want to use purpose built MTB Trails. Or near Grisedale for the Forest Trail in the southern Lakes. Borrowdale Valley has a number of very nice sites to offer and if you're handy with a map you can find a load of natural trails to ride there too - and it's not too far from the infamous Honister Pass. A quick search on t'interweb will also reveal a mass of places to ride too.

Central Lakes (Windermere and Ambleside) is beautiful but a lot more 'touristy' unless you head out down the Langdale Valley and ultimately over Hardnott and Wrynose towards the coastal area. This will give you access to the more remote valleys like Wasdale and Ennerdale. Much less visited and all the more stunning because of it. There's less riding to be had unless you're hardcore All Mountain. But there's plenty of walking to be done of varying levels.

How long are you going for? I'd suggest trying a couple of places if you can - perhaps somewhere on the fringes like Keswick then somewhere deeper into the heart like Wasdale or Buttermere. It's not a huge area but the character can vary from one valley to the next. As can the weather.

Hi,

Great site at Boot. Bit of a trek getting there( rhinos pass, fantastic view and drive in the Cali ) but the site is great. Three pubs in walking distance, all take dogs. Great facilities ( toilets and showers) hard standing if the weather turns, it is the lakes.
If you're on the bike there's some great trails down to ravens glass. Then back in the steam train if ya can't be assed riding back.

Californiaman said:
I like it here near Boot http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/cumbria/holmrook/eskdale

Great walking and some cycling from here. A couple of nice friendly pubs nearby. And a little train that'll run you down to the coast just down the road.
You can cycle to the coast on a bike track - which is mostly downhill (apart from the mother and father of all hills!) and then bung the bikes back on the small scale train to go back to the campsite.

Another vote for Boot from me. We went there 3 years ago after a recommendation from someone on here (can't remember if it was Californiaman or not !)
Fantastic area but poured with rain when we were there which hampered things a bit!
If it's reasonably dry underfoot then the walking and views are awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Here here for Boot! Just lovely - but I wouldn't go over Wrynose and Hardnott passes again to get there! (It's good fun but we managed to scrape the underside going round the hairpin bends!)

Hi Freely - we met when you were there three years ago - we still haven't got a mutz or any other topper!

Ian and Clare

Hi Ian!
We wimped out and took the long way round when we went.
We don't use our vanarak as much these days the roof seems more weatherproof now

Thanks for the replies folks.

We are planning to go next week, hopefully for about 9 days. Does anyone have any other good small sites?

FF

Another option would be the quiet site. We stayed at Easter, the campervan specific pitches that you can book are nice and spacious. We usually stay in the keswick ones, particularly the big c&c one in the centre by the lake. But all we're booked up.

Loads of info on their website.

http://www.thequietsite.co.uk

Across the road from 'The quiet site' is (ironically) a much quieter site with in my opinion better views and a much greater feeling of space http://www.cove-park.co.uk/

Hi all,

Writing this from the van at the Boot campsite. Fantastic site, very friendly staff and immaculate. We have been lucky with the weather so far and am toying with the idea of trying Hardnott Pass on the way out. I know one of you scraped the bottom on a hairpin but has anyone else tried it?

Thanks for the recommendations as well

FF

No not brave enough. Make sure you do the walk from the site to wastwater it's lovely. Hopefully it will be much drier underfoot then when we did it!

It was us that scraped the bottom (I think with hindsight it might have just been the mud flaps as I couldn't see any damage). No way would I do it again - but I'll be v interested to know how you get on if you try it! Guess it might be different going in the opposite direction.

If you haven't been to the Lakes before, then I would recommend the Ambleside Area. It is touristy, but for a reason. There are a lot of good restaurants and coffee shops in this area, and more importantly there is plenty to do if it rains. There aren't any sites right next to the town, but you could try Low Wray, which is a National Trust site nearby:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holidays/camping/camping-in-the-lake-district/low-wray/

It is not small, but should be quiet outside the school holidays, is nicely wooded and right on the shores of the Lake.

If you are a keen cyclist, then there is a really good pro bike shop in Ambleside, which could probably recommend some good local rides. For beginner walks, I would recommend Wansfell Pike or maybe the Fairfield Horseshoe.

Simon

Another option would be the quiet site. We stayed at Easter, the campervan specific pitches that you can book are nice and spacious. We usually stay in the keswick ones, particularly the big c&c one in the centre by the lake. But all we're booked up.

Loads of info on their website.

http://www.thequietsite.co.uk

Old thread bump but I'd give The Quiet Site a miss next time, though their onsite pub is great!

Far from quiet, we were on a weird terrace of three squeezed in gravel pitches. There is no segregation of pitches anywhere & they've mixed in bell tents, caravans, tents, vans, pods so a high proportion of 'amateurs' in the mix :eek:

All pitches £37 per night inc. hookup

We went over it at Easter and had no problems, just take it easy and it's worth it for the views. We had two adults and 2 children in a standard height Cali.

Side Farm at Patterdale is my favourite. I've only ever camped there, but they do take vans. Along the road, Skyeside is nice as well, although only ever camped there as well… Good access to fells such as High Street and Place Fell.

The NT site at Wasdale is ok, I've camped and campervan'd that that one (tent pitches are nicer, you are pretty much on a road to some of the parking with the van, although not much in the way of traffic). Good access to Scarfell and Great Gable.

I find the NT site at Ambleside a bit big and the camper van bit is in the carpark, but the Sticklebarn pub along the road more than makes up for it and they allow fires :)
+1 for Sykeside, stayed there for 1 night on a hard standing pitch, pretty good facilities, shop onsite and a good pub that serves food aswell. We did a walk from the campsite to Helvellyn.