Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsites in North Cornwall near beach and village?

sd5000

sd5000

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello,

We are pretty familiar with a number of great 'simple' sites in North Devon and are planning to travel there and also a bit further down the coast to North Cornwall in half term.

Has anyone been to a good site which is near the beach (hopefully not a challenge in Cornwall) and which you can also walk to the village/town with maybe a pub.

Mrs D likes nice showers and toilets too but we don't tend to like holiday parks/sites with any form of bars etc. preferring the more 'pitch where you like' relaxed sites.

Any recommendations great fully received.

:thanks
Simon

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
There's a good site here; the best pitches are literally 20 metres from the sea.
It's called Tristram, Polzeath. Not cheap but popular with Calis. I can then wave to you from our house!

sd5000

sd5000

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thanks, I remember now seeing Tristram online and it looked nice so it's good to hear it is worth a try, with its location I bet it gets busy in holidays...

North Morte is one of our Devon favourites, great views. We went a few weeks ago but the steps to the beach are closed until August (washed away) so looking for alternatives for our frequent Devon trips (nearer than Cornwall). We quite like Cherry Tree Farm in Croyde - when it's open.

Cornwall is totally new to us and a bit further so Polzeath looks like a good option, perhaps there are a few more.... ?

Thanks
Si.

reserves

reserves

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Tristram, Polzeath looks nice but I'll be travelling alone in the Cali next week, shame they don't offer single / couples pricing. £35 for one is expensive.

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
reserves said:
Tristram, Polzeath looks nice but I'll be travelling alone in the Cali next week, shame they don't offer single / couples pricing. £35 for one is expensive.

£45 in high season, plus you have to pay for showers :shocked

That really annoys me sites that charge for showers :x

BerndRos

BerndRos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
OMG.....

I just could not part with the cash.....no way.......

After all the great free camping I have done I just could not do it....

Rip off UK

F

Franklyworthy

Martin said:
reserves said:

£45 in high season, plus you have to pay for showers :shocked

That really annoys me sites that charge for showers :x

we have noticed a steady increase year upon year, camping used to be a cheap holiday but many sites now are charging rates at a level of a good B&B, when I say B&B I mean you get breakfast included.

We were going away this weekend to a site near St Ives and after all the extra's were added on to our pitch we were looking at around £55 per night.

Californiaman

Californiaman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Cornwall is vastly over rated. Go to West Cork in the Republic of Ireland instead.

C

choplee

Guest User
True california man and its a crap place to get to as well ... Best time if the year to visit Cornwall is out of season :)

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I find Cornwall is very easy to get to ;-)

We stayed at Tristram before we moved back here; had a great time. There's a curry restaurant next door too.

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
KernowLad said:

We stayed at Tristram before we moved back here; had a great time. There's a curry restaurant next door too.

It's an hour away from us and we're outside Exeter. From the perspective of driving from Essex, if I've dared to go back to the old country, then it's a long old drive. Once you've run out of M5, then, it's a bit of a drive...

My Dad has just moved up from St Ive's to Tideford, that's still a drive. Cornwall is beautiful, certainly on the coast, but it is a bit remote, which some would say is its charm.

But I agree with Lee, if you've got to come from the other side of the country, it is a serious drive

James

BerndRos

BerndRos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Lol......

We on the 'right' side of the Tamar......our very very suspicious of Cornwall's inhabitants weekend activities....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
BerndRos said:
Lol......

We on the 'right' side of the Tamar......our very very suspicious of Cornwall's inhabitants weekend activities....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol :) :) :)

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
sd5000 said:
Hello,

We are pretty familiar with a number of great 'simple' sites in North Devon and are planning to travel there and also a bit further down the coast to North Cornwall in half term.

Has anyone been to a good site which is near the beach (hopefully not a challenge in Cornwall) and which you can also walk to the village/town with maybe a pub.

Mrs D likes nice showers and toilets too but we don't tend to like holiday parks/sites with any form of bars etc. preferring the more 'pitch where you like' relaxed sites.

Any recommendations great fully received.

:thanks
Simon

We were planning on going to wooda at bude next weekend but haven't booked yet so might struggle to get in. It's supposed to be a lovely site so I'm told and a short walk into bude and the beach.
We're in North Devon so it's only about 40 minutes away for us.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

sd5000

sd5000

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I guess difficult to get to depends on where you start from. We will likely be in North Devon (croyde / ilfracombe) so only 30-40 mins away.

Will check out Tristram and Bude thanks for the feedback so far.

Simon

cozmo1589

cozmo1589

VIP Member
sd5000 said:
I guess difficult to get to depends on where you start from. We will likely be in North Devon (croyde / ilfracombe) so only 30-40 mins away.

Will check out Tristram and Bude thanks for the feedback so far.

Simon

I can recommend Lobb Fields near Croyde Bay ;-) check out website for more info. We stayed there and had a blast recently .

www.lobbfields.com

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
James said:
KernowLad said:

It's an hour away from us and we're outside Exeter. From the perspective of driving from Essex, if I've dared to go back to the old country, then it's a long old drive. Once you've run out of M5, then, it's a bit of a drive...

My Dad has just moved up from St Ive's to Tideford, that's still a drive. Cornwall is beautiful, certainly on the coast, but it is a bit remote, which some would say is its charm.

But I agree with Lee, if you've got to come from the other side of the country, it is a serious drive

James

It was a fair trek from Folkestone last Monday…

TBH it's not remote enough - still gets far too busy.

snowy55

snowy55

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi there

We've been going to Tristram for about 25 years but won't be going anymore due to the badly behaved "hooray Henry" set that have now taken over.

B

bluebell

VIP Member
I have to agree also, we stayed there last August and being charged over £50 per night and then kept awake until 1am we were not happy. Site owners did not even apologise when we checked out and informed them of the problem, they dont seem to enforce any of the rules in the touring field.

As people have mention Cornwall is now becoming vastly over rated

VW California Club