Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campingaz 907 refill - UK price rip-off!

You own the 907 and there’s nothing illegal or particularly dangerous about it if you’re competent and occasionally get a new one to benefit from a fresh valve: I refilled 2 with 2.5kg LPG at a cost of £3.70 each (but I’m not going to make a business out if it like @Amarillo suggests). For me it wasn’t just the disproportionate cost, it removes the worry of running out on a trip as I can always go away full. <gets popcorn>View attachment 49179
It looks more like an IED from Iraq .......

Sorry don’t understand- under what conditions is a campingaz cylinder filled with 2.75kg butane likely to explode due to the fact it was home filled rather than professionally filled ?

Sorry don’t understand- under what conditions is a campingaz cylinder filled with 2.75kg butane likely to explode due to the fact it was home filled rather than professionally filled ?
It doesn’t really matter if you understand it or not...It is still illegal to refill gas cylinders yourself that were designed to be filled professionally....

Overfilled. It needs an expansion gap, so should be filled to 80-85% capacity.

There are weights stamped onto the bottle. It would be trivial to test for overfilling with an accurate luggage scale.

It doesn’t really matter if you understand it or not...It is still illegal to refill gas cylinders yourself that were designed to be filled professionally....
I have a feeling that the legislation only applies to bottles refilled on a filling station forecourt. As far as refilling in the privacy of your own garden shed for private use I’d be surprised if you were committing an illegal act

hi @Peter Roberts - sorry can’t find relevant legislation please can you point me to it? Can only find codes of conduct guidance etc

@Amarillo - to clarify my question related to correctly filled bottle (max 2.75 kg as stamped on cylinder) and the increased risk of explosion that would come from self filling over commercial refill.

Thanks all

You own the 907 and there’s nothing illegal or particularly dangerous about it if you’re competent and occasionally get a new one to benefit from a fresh valve: I refilled 2 with 2.5kg LPG at a cost of £3.70 each (but I’m not going to make a business out if it like @Amarillo suggests). For me it wasn’t just the disproportionate cost, it removes the worry of running out on a trip as I can always go away full. <gets popcorn>View attachment 49179
Well to start with that is a propane donor bottle not butane

I have a feeling that the legislation only applies to bottles refilled on a filling station forecourt. As far as refilling in the privacy of your own garden shed for private use I’d be surprised if you were committing an illegal act
I bet the neighbours would love it if they knew what you were doing....This is exactly the same thing you see on the TV where someones roof ends up 5 streets away. Safety first Safety last. Dont mess with gas...

I’m sorry to tell you this but it IS illegal for the public to refill gas cylinders that were designed to be refilled professionally...You can actually invalidate your insurance at home and on your van if it has been found that you have refilled them yourself as you show in the picture...As you know any gas cylinder is only designed to have a certain amount of gas and not actually full to the top to allow for expansion.... It would be very difficult to prove that you filled them correctly if something went horribly wrong....It’s just not worth the risk to save a few quid.....If I was you I would delete your post....
The legality appears to mainly relate to Gaz bottles NOT being designed for DIY refilling which makes this action illegal under Weights and Measures legislation.
Gas It do refillable bottles which are more calor Gas sized and coloured dark red like the one pictured being used as a gas source. It is possible to charge one from a Gaz bottle but not to use the other way as you say.

Last edited:
907 refill may be costly but in context - You pay upwards of £70 for a tank of diesel when gaz cylinder lasts a hell of a lot longer. I would say we get ripped off for most things and gaz is low down the list.

I bet the neighbours would love it if they knew what you were doing....This is exactly the same thing you see on the TV where someones roof ends up 5 streets away. Safety first Safety last. Dont mess with gas...

I don’t disagree with you. I found it a little disturbing to discover a neighbour ten doors up was running a butane refilling business from his garden shed.

My query was purely about the legality or otherwise of refilling for personal use.

I bet the neighbours would love it if they knew what you were doing....

He’s on his Fairline Squadron in Majorca with a pair of rusty 907s in his gas locker that he gets refilled by some bloke near the marina.

I bought a spare for my cadac at £95 and a refill for the van at £35 In crickhowell. Would I get money back if I was to return the spare? Most 13kg bbq or gas heater bottles are around the same price. £33 for 13kg as opposed to £35 for 3kg.

I bought a spare for my cadac at £95 and a refill for the van at £35 In crickhowell. Would I get money back if I was to return the spare? Most 13kg bbq or gas heater bottles are around the same price. £33 for 13kg as opposed to £35 for 3kg.

I have the same quick release on the other end of my propane regulator hose as on my 907/909 regulator hose. This means that my Cari Chef, Safari Chef and 2 burner camping stove can run off propane at home or butane away from home.

An old thread but take your refill to Go Outdoors and ask them to price match Chorley Gas Bottle website refill price. Works every time! £25. I do use Chorley for new 907s but they won't deliver to us Southerners for a refill so hence the Go Outdoors routine.
Now there’s a good idea. Then if you’re with camping and caravanning club, show your membership card for an extra 10% discount. You might not get it on top of a price match, but it’s worth asking.

Now there’s a good idea. Then if you’re with camping and caravanning club, show your membership card for an extra 10% discount. You might not get it on top of a price match, but it’s worth asking.
Just for info’ Kings Farm Shop, Wendover, Bucks charges £23 for a 907 refill.

P.S. Love the way the French still cling onto the Franc on all their receipts :)

You won't find us clinging on to old units of measure!!!
I’d like to know how they calculate the exchange rate!

If we are allowed to enter France this year Campingaz have an offer on 907/904 bottles until 31/08/2021. This is for purchasing a new bottle not for a refill. €20 refunded to your bank account.

thread resurrection!

I have just been quoted £52 for a 907 refill at my local supplier. £100 for a new bottle and refill.
Not sure if this is fuel price effect or something else. Anyone successfully bought a refill in the last few weeks at a sensible price? I don’t actually need one at present but the supplier is at to the top of my road so thought I would enquire. He said the price has recently shot up.