Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping is becoming expensive !

On our thirth night away , only lost 30€ so far ....can't complain!

That madness, madness...
Was it worth the 97 big ones...?

To compare, two years ago I stayed at this B&B in Biscarosse. It was about €150 for 3 of us, on suite room, swimming pool and fresh breakfast. Couldn’t fault it.

http://www.cotedune.fr/
I think you would be paying in excess of €200 / night for 3 now.

Compared to €97 for 5 camping or €400+ staying at your B&B.

I think you would be paying in excess of €200 / night for 3 now.

Compared to €97 for 5 camping or €400+ staying at your B&B.

I dunno Welshgas, it was only 2 years ago :D

Was it a good site? We have considered staying there but never got round to it.

Still here, had a static booked with Canvas holidays all week, which I think I paid about £650 for, for the week.

It is a very good site, great pool area with indoor pools and slides so the kids love it so that's all that matters!

Restaurant was ok but fairly expensive, a margarita pizza is €11, which I think is enough!

20180828_130827.jpg

You can’t beat the Motorhome & Caravan Club CL sites.
Prices range from £6 - £20 a night depending on facilities.
Have stayed on site near Tenby with shower, WC, water, chemical point, EHU etc. for £16 a night.
Currently on CL site in Watchet for £7.50 a night - tap, chemical point and rubbish bins. All we need for a quick stopover.
Well worth the annual subscription if you make good use of the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The site we stay at in Il de Re is 69 euros per night.
Hi Bigmac...we're newbies and taking our Cali Ocean to France at the start of July. Ideally, we wanted to book single nights at a couple of stops there and back from the UK with our accommodation for a week all set up in the south. It's a bit of a job though finding sites that don't have a minimum stay of around 4 days and so i wondered if you knew of a company or sites that offer the option of 1-2 night maximum?

Cheers

Taff

We stayed here on the way back from Bordeaux last August. Just a few miles north of LeMans, and only 5 mins off the toll road. Turned up at 10pm and they had a few pitches. English couple run it. Screenshot_20190416-150614_Maps.jpg

Perfect stop over spot on the way down or back.

We stayed here on the way back from Bordeaux last August. Just a few miles north of LeMans, and only 5 mins off the toll road. Turned up at 10pm and they had a few pitches. English couple run it. View attachment 43550

Perfect stop over spot on the way down or back.
Thanks 2haw

May well check that one out as catching an early ferry back to Caen

Cheers!

Taff

We have only ever booked our first night when coming off the ferry in France, never had an issue getting on a site for one night, but always try to avoid the holiday camp type places as its not our thing. Also wild camped a good number of nights as well, up until this year its always been school holidays, all depends on what your looking for everyone has their own expectations.

We have only ever booked our first night when coming off the ferry in France, never had an issue getting on a site for one night, but always try to avoid the holiday camp type places as its not our thing. Also wild camped a good number of nights as well, up until this year its always been school holidays, all depends on what your looking for everyone has their own expectations.
Thanks for the tip...do you use an app to locate sites 'on the hoof' after night one then and just wing it or phone ahead?

Thanks for the tip...do you use an app to locate sites 'on the hoof' after night one then and just wing it or phone ahead?
No, just relied on guide books, although more recently had all the Aires books and this year we have the Acsi card and book, we’ll see how that goes also contemplating joining thr France Passion thing.

Last edited:
You could try
1. Archie’s app free, 32,000 campsites in Europe. Links to camp website, contact details and GPS Co-ordinates.
2. ASCI app but you pay in app for Map data for the countries you need. Lots of information on each campsite, contact details etc and GPS Co-ordinates. All sites of a minimum standard.

Both use Google Earth. For iPhone/iPad and Android.

You could try
1. Archie’s app free, 32,000 campsites in Europe. Links to camp website, contact details and GPS Co-ordinates.
2. ASCI app but you pay in app for Map data for the countries you need. Lots of information on each campsite, contact details etc and GPS Co-ordinates. All sites of a minimum standard.

Both use Google Earth. For iPhone/iPad and Android.
Cheers Welsh Gas

No, just relied on guide books, although more recently had all the Aires books and this year we have the Acsi card and book, we’ll see how that goes also contemplating joining thr France Passion thing.
Aires actually OK then as had heard can be a bit dogdy?

We just 'wing it' every time, we've lots of our own POIs from past years then use one of the many others available on the web. We're a bit old fashioned still using MS Autoroute on a laptop but find that it does provide the largest map screen for use when on the move.

Currently our favourite app is 'search for sites' but tastes have changed over the years. Books / guides seem to be outdated nowadays and too much hassle transferring latitude & longitude into a device.

Aires other than the motorway ones are fine. Must have used hundreds by now and never had a problem.
If you have the Aires book you ca check them out on Google Earth.

We are in the process of booking next years holiday and are finding pitch prices are increasing more than inflation. Problems we are finding

Many sites now ask for minimum stay ( as mentioned in other post) One I found asked for 7 nights minimum in July and August!!!

Sites are now charging for every extra they can think of, children, dogs, extra adults, pup tents, showers etc.. Surely it should be just a pitch fee?

A Campervan pays the same price as a huge caravan ( they also will have a car with them)

A lot of touring sites you now have to share with the ever growing amount of statics which I think ruin a campsite making it look like Butlins.

Some sites we were looking to book are approaching £60-70 per night, this is now getting Into hotel/b&b territory.

I realise you can still find a few small sites for £20 per night or use a britstop but the majority of the good sites are now charging these stupid fees which make camping very expensive.

Because of this we are now going to do 50/50 spilt hotel and campsites. At least a hotel you can stay for one night and you get breakfast included.
Hence why we are saving our money this year for an even bigger European holiday next year.. prices on Euro sites are broadly the same as last year.