Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping is becoming expensive !

Duncan

Duncan

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We are in the process of booking next years holiday and are finding pitch prices are increasing more than inflation. Problems we are finding

Many sites now ask for minimum stay ( as mentioned in other post) One I found asked for 7 nights minimum in July and August!!!

Sites are now charging for every extra they can think of, children, dogs, extra adults, pup tents, showers etc.. Surely it should be just a pitch fee?

A Campervan pays the same price as a huge caravan ( they also will have a car with them)

A lot of touring sites you now have to share with the ever growing amount of statics which I think ruin a campsite making it look like Butlins.

Some sites we were looking to book are approaching £60-70 per night, this is now getting Into hotel/b&b territory.

I realise you can still find a few small sites for £20 per night or use a britstop but the majority of the good sites are now charging these stupid fees which make camping very expensive.

Because of this we are now going to do 50/50 spilt hotel and campsites. At least a hotel you can stay for one night and you get breakfast included.

We camp in school summer holidays on nice sites with good facilities, some have minimum stay some not but the peak prices are usually about £35 per night.

We have never paid more than £30 per night but tend to tour and book a day ahead.(all our main holidays outside school holidays) We also book several holiday cottages and do not pay that much

Last edited:
Can't see why i would book 6 months up front a camping when i own a Cali....
Thats the plus with a Cali ...park where you want , go from one campsite to an other
Offcoarse must say , we don't go in july , but even then i would not book even two weeks up front . If weather turns bad or the site turns out not as aspected , you'l be stitting there ....

Also think that early booking is no garanty for discount.
If you want cheap price look for promo's or join camperclubs.
There are plenty small campsites for half the price you mentiont .

The fact they charge as much as a 8m caravan for a Cali is normal ...you pay for the pitch , pool , shower, kids playground , entertainment,....
Many sites got smaler pitches for campervans at lower rate , but you need to ask them..

Would be strange having a Cali in the parking lot while staying and paying in a hotel...

There are very few cheap leisure activities and as soon as you want to use someone's facilities, the costs go up. Caravan club works for me but I don't have kids so not looking for pool, entertainment etc. holiday parks, as they have become, rather than campsites are sometimes as big as small towns and the running costs must be horrific. Someone's gotta pay for.

Can't see why i would book 6 months up front a camping when i own a Cali....
Thats the plus with a Cali ...park where you want , go from one campsite to an other
Offcoarse must say , we don't go in july , but even then i would not book even two weeks up front . If weather turns bad or the site turns out not as aspected , you'l be stitting there ....

Also think that early booking is no garanty for discount.
If you want cheap price look for promo's or join camperclubs.
There are plenty small campsites for half the price you mentiont .

The fact they charge as much as a 8m caravan for a Cali is normal ...you pay for the pitch , pool , shower, kids playground , entertainment,....
Many sites got smaler pitches for campervans at lower rate , but you need to ask them..

Would be strange having a Cali in the parking lot while staying and paying in a hotel...
Sorry but I must Disagree. The California gives you the Ultimate Flexibility. You can Wild Camp, stay on small or large campsites as well as a B&B, out of town Country Hotel or City Centre hotel with parking. In fact you can travel too and stay wherever you want,( roads & ferries permitting ) whenever you want in comfort during any season of the year.
Sorry, but I am not a die hard camper that just because I own an excellent camper van I feel honour bound to wild camp at every opportunity. Some do, some don't. I just enjoy the total flexibility of the vehicle and lifestyle.:thumb

We've found that most campsites over the channel tend to be cheaper than the UK, also cheaper fuel so worth the ferry cost in the long run

Lol...that's the UK for you....

Over the border in Spain yesterday 95 petrol was 1.08 euro a litre. Here in Portugal though it's 1.30 euro a litre.

Less tax in Espana on Booze and Smokes as well.

We've done this on quite a few occasions.

Camp sites are often scarce or full in some locations, but you can always find a room somewhere on Booking.com or whatever. Doesn't matter if they don't do food, you've got your own. That's the beauty of the Cali, find a scenic campsite or a hotel as the mood takes you.

Look out for deals at Travelodges, we stayed at one in Dumfries for £25, we have the larder and drinks cabinet parked outside :D. Cheaper than camping and no muddy grass.

Or look out for Wowcher deals, a few days away at a country pub hotel for a great price. Use the Cali during the day, then back for a shower, meal and a drink in a nice warm pub. Mix it with some camping on the way there or the way back. Pick and mix! :D

As the OP says, camping fees are getting very expensive and there is often not much in it price wise if you can get a deal on a hotel break. And the Cali is not being wasted, sleeping in it is only a small part of it's talents ......

British campsite prices:eek:, a very good reason to cross the channel and take advantage of French Aires and municipal campsites. Aires (Free to about €10 per night :thumb) or municipal campsites (€5 to €25 per night :thumb). Never needing to book always giving the opportunity to decide if you like the look of the place before parking up. Total flexibility, stay for one night or more, decide next morning when you see what the weather, local sights etc. are like, pay another night or move on.

Don't worry if you don't fancy France, Germany offers very similar facilities maybe just a bit more expensive. So do many other European mainland countries.

If you own a camper ( Camping Car in France, Wohnmobil in Germany ) just get away and be FREE in every sense of the word :happy.

Rod

100% with the above post....and better weather in mainland Europe....

100% with the above post....and better weather in mainland Europe....

Now come on guys , i was just considering comming to the UK for a few weeks next year....Wales or Schotland....
Promote yourselves....:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me there are two types of Cali punter here.
Those that see it for what it is, a cool, go anywhere anytime flexible bus and those that see it as a small caravan and always seek out comfortable sites with all mod cons.

I know which camp (no pun intended ) I'm in.

As for parking the Cali in the hotel car park - WTF?

S.

Seeing as we use ours as a Daily Driver, NOT just for High Days and Holidays, you will occasionally find us in the car park of a Hotel. Royal Lancaster in London, The Scarlet in North Cornwall and other places, plus Crystal Palace CC in London, Rutland Water Campsites as well as Certified Locations and the occasional Lay-by. The California can go anywhere and mix it with the best of them.:thumb

Why? It is my only vehicle and sometimes like to stay in a hotel for a change can't see anything wrong with that.
Don't worry. Some of the others just don't get the California. It can be used for anything. You don't have to stay in a Lay-By just because you own one. You can stay anywhere. And when we stay in 5* hotels with Valet Parking there is a great deal of interest and it stands out amongst all the RR and other expensive " Cars " as a truly versatile vehicle. And we are frequently told it is a damn sight easier to park as well.

I do can understand some thoughts on using the Cali just as "driving verhicle " and staying in hotel or B&B . It still is a wonderful car to drive with !
But as we travell now we intend to use it fully....even when staying at my brother in law in France last time we slept in the Cali when we normally use the guestroom in thier house...
Also age will have influence in this ....not saying some are old but can imagine camping can be nice but a real bed is so much confortable...
But back on topic ! Sleeping in hotels makes it more expencive:D

Well if it's your only vehicle then obvs you have to take it!

But back on topic ! Sleeping in hotels makes it more expencive:D
So what. I'm in the fortunate position of not having to watch the pennies. Some do, but that doesn't mean I have to copy them. The California suits my life style, a stay anywhere go anywhere vehicle at ant time of the year. Why should I have to compromise to fit in with " The Crowd ". Also age has nothing to do with it.
We are spending 5 nights camping in the California at Crystal Palace in London over the Christmas holiday because we want to. We could have gone to a Hotel. We are going to Florence in 2016 and will be staying 4 nights in a 5* hotel and , Heaven Help Us - parking in their Car Park in amongst the owners Caravelle and California SE, but the other 21 nights will be on commercial, municipal and Aires.
This " Elitism" that some people have because they only Wild Camp or use cheap campsites is very unbecoming. I'm passionate about the vehicle and its capabilities, NOT where people wish to park it or what purpose they use it for.

Now come on guys , i was just considering comming to the UK for a few weeks next year....Wales or Schotland....
I am sure you will get a warm welcome wherever you decide to visit. It is a great country, we just like to have a moan every now and again!

Heaven help a Cali owner who sets foot in a travel agents :shocked

The best thing about the Cali you can go to a wild camp spot for a night, a Britstop to a fully serviced camp site. When touring for a couple of weeks we do all sorts of "vaning camping" best thing after a few nights of basic stops cr*ppi*g in a "facy" bucket type stops is a all dancing site with washing mashine, showers and full toilet block for a catch up. (One private site we went to in Scotland at under £25 a night had baths with TV at the end of the bath).
As said in earlier post our Cali is our only drive so we do use it for non camping holidays such as when we take a cottage holiday.
I think there are many Cali owner who do basic and all mod cons over the year.

Last edited:
You don't come to the Uk for the weather but plenty to see in England en route to Wales or Scotland. Let us know which areas you are travelling to for ideas.

+1 for hotels, that's why we love the Cali, we often mix hotels with campsites, its always nice to have a break and sleep in a real bed and not have to walk half a mile to the toilet :)

What's with people this week? We are supposed to be in the Christmas spirit yet this thread and the C&CC one seem full of folks slagging off each others life choices.
The Daily Mail comments section may be a better place to slag off folks who make different choices to your own. Can we stick to earth shunt problems and worries about whether rear heated windows will make your double glazed tailgate explode?