Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in the forest sites staying shut!

The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
I’ve just heard that camping in the forest campsites aren’t opening up this year now!!!!
They run majority of sites in the new forest, staff have been made redundant with 1wk notice!!
Pretty crap, as a lot of them live in there vans full time!

Just checked their website and it says closed for the year and book your 2021 getaway. I am struggling to understand that unless there is a problem behind the scenes - insurance or finance perhaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I can think is the new forest council don’t want them opening!
Longbeech and setthorns don’t have loos or shower blocks so Very strange.

That's worrying, I booked a New Forrest site for a few nights in July only 2 days ago and have not heard anything.

I was out there yesterday and carparks were all rammed with campers and big whites! There will just be loads of people staying over night in carparks.
Fingers crossed they don’t dump rubbish or empty loos everywhere.

All I can think is the new forest council don’t want them opening!
Longbeech and setthorns don’t have loos or shower blocks so Very strange.

They have Scottish sites as well and they are also closed.

I was planning on having a pitch and a little job with them.
I feel really sorry for all the staff as some will be homeless now!

That's worrying, I booked a New Forrest site for a few nights in July only 2 days ago and have not heard anything.

So did we. Also haven't heard anything

Staff only found out yesterday afternoon, I think everyone was hoping to open.
That’s pretty grim. The Setthornes team were always great. I was hoping to get a pitch for early July too! I would have thought the “no facilities sites“ would have been easy to open and low risk.

Just received an email from camping in the forest. Automatically getting a refund as they are staying shut.

We had a week booked at Glenmore camping in the Forest in July and have also now received the email to advise they will be closed until next year. It’s a shame as it’s one of our favourite sites. The search is back on....

My favourite site in Padstow also announced yesterday that they will be staying closed until next year; I'm not sure what the detail of the regulations is to maintain cleaning/safety etc. but it does seem a little strange to wait until you're told that you can reopen to announce that you're not going to. Some might conclude that in some cases it may not be financially beneficial to reopen with increased costs for cleaning etc just to shut again in October, when the government will keep paying wages and business grants etc. until October if you stay shut.......

Reactions: RFH
Ditto we had a week booked at Glenmore before the schools go back - shifted it now to Oakwood which while isn’t as handy means at least we get up there. Very strange decision, they are owned by CaCC aren’t they ?

Ditto we had a week booked at Glenmore before the schools go back - shifted it now to Oakwood which while isn’t as handy means at least we get up there. Very strange decision, they are owned by CaCC aren’t they ?
Same here. Was booked for last week of school hols. They are definitely connected to CaCC as we get discount through our membership. Does seem odd

Interesting- the campsite I booked has written saying fully open with facilities etc - but a very small site - may be easier to maintain?

Just booked Culzean Castle campsite as an alternative; a few additional restrictions in place but feel we can live with them. Hopefully weather will allow us at least few nice days on the beach.

I think they are a partnership between The Forestry Commission and CCC, so I guess CCC do the running of the business on behalf of the commission.... might be wrong.

I think they are a partnership between The Forestry Commission and CCC, so I guess CCC do the running of the business on behalf of the commission.... might be wrong.

CCC have decided not to reopen a number of their club sites this year so may have followed the same thinking for Camping in the forest whatever that is.

It is a real shame for the staff but also closes off a number of nice options for people wishing to stay in the Forest

I’m in a real quandary here. Wanted to book first trip away in the Cali around late July, New Forest was the likely destination but I worry that the sites that do have availability will be completely packed out and will ruin the family’s perception of holidays to come. Decisions, decisions...

I’m in a real quandary here. Wanted to book first trip away in the Cali around late July, New Forest was the likely destination but I worry that the sites that do have availability will be completely packed out and will ruin the family’s perception of holidays to come. Decisions, decisions...
If you can find a vacancy the CMC site Black Knowl is a great site and even if full CMC sites are pretty generous with space and pitches so it’s not overcrowded. It’s not the typical New Forest site where you get a more “back to nature” experience with ponies and cattle wandering through the site but it at least gets you in the heart of the forest.

Perhaps they think it'll be better not to attract even more people to these areas, they're struggling to cope as it is in the current climate.

Full to bursting campsites...
Not my idea of a nice get away. Would rather find somewhere quiet and people free down a remote country lane.

Back