Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping Gas bottles

Spud

Spud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi I've just seen on a French site about camping gas bottles not been allowed on ferries, I'm going to contact ferry company as we are going in a week, just wondering if anybody else had heard anything?

Last edited:
@Spud ,
Strange titel and i can't realy figure out your problem.

A site....campsite , website..?

I think the title should read "Camping Gas bottles"

Spud, if this is correct let me know and I will change it...

What is this thread about?
Nothing has been amended as far as I can see.

Are gas bottles allowed or disallowed on certain ferries?

The OP is asking the question because he has heard rumours that some ferry companies may be disallowing their carriage.

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me :shocked

Yes that makes more sense now, it didn't 10 minutes ago.

Are we all going to have to buy new gas cylinders when we arrive on mainland Europe then?

I agree with Jen
We must have used every channel crossing available at some stage and never had a problem.
I would have thought that if an option for a camper/motorhome is on the booking site then they expect gas to be carried.
Only once in about eighty crossings have we been asked for a look at the gas bottle to ensure it was turned off.

Whatever you do about your Camping Gaz bottles when crossing the channel they should always be as empty as possible!!!!

Why?

Because the rip-off price in England makes it much better to buy your refills in France, Leroy Merlin at Calais and other towns ( http://www.leroymerlin.fr ) are good stockists as are many other big supermarkets. Your only challenge is discovering the particular method that each store uses to manage the exchange as many checkout staff don't understand what you want to do or how to charge for it. There is a potential saving of 30% on UK prices.

Rod

Had the gas bottle checked both ways on Eurotunnel earlier in the year. Not sure if that is standard practice or we were special! just got back from a trip around the Hebrides in scotland and no one said a word about gas bottles although there was a sign on the Gourock Dunnoon ferry stating that gas bottles are not permitted.

Had the gas bottle checked both ways on Eurotunnel earlier in the year. Not sure if that is standard practice or we were special! just got back from a trip around the Hebrides in scotland and no one said a word about gas bottles although there was a sign on the Gourock Dunnoon ferry stating that gas bottles are not permitted.
Euroshuttle weren't interested this year, either way.

Euroshuttle weren't interested this year, either way.
Wish they hadn't been for us - especially on the way back. I had turned it off at the bottle but they insisted on checking at the final checkpoint in the high vehicle lane. There is nowhere to pull over there and we had the back of the van packed floor to ceiling with all my daughters stuff coming home from a year at uni in Austria. We held the entire queue up for 10 mins whilst we unpacked and re-packed enough stuff for them to check the bottle :embarrased

We have done many crossings through the Tunnel, there has always been some kind of check the UK side usually more careful than the French. I think their rules state that the Shuttle staff should physically check that the cylinders are turned off but it's usually at most seeing you turn it off.

Rod

We have had ours checked only once in the times we have travelled overseas. Just make sure you switch them off before travelling (we take two - one for the built in 2 burner stove and one for the CADAC). Simple really just add it as a home to your checklist. :)

We've been checked 100% of the time we've used the shuttle. Mind you, we've only used it once...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I travelled on Brittany Ferries two weeks ago without any problems encountered. We are frequent users, the dog needs a new passport as we have filled it up and never had a problem.