Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping and caravanning club

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just about to join the camping and carvanning club as it has a site we would like to book. Just before I fill everything in, it does not make clear if you need to be all members if you are a family, it gives the option on adding additional members and children. Do you need to do this to stay there as a family ? And does that cost £47 per person ?

The £47.00 membership is for Member+ partner + any under children under 18.

We joined the Caravan and Motorhome Club and membership fee covered both of us.

I have recently put my adult son on as my co-member. They are happy with this as long as he lives in the same house.

Thank you that’s good to know

I have been a member on and off for many years. I think with this bloody virus it would be a very club to join as so many people are buying campervans last/this/next year to travel at home. This will make places harder to find/book so membership is a must.
I think 2022/23 people may be able to travel across to the EU but not before.

The CACC is great for the small CL sites as is the Caravan and Motorhome Club and both offer good member discounts so soon pay for themselves.

Just about to join the camping and carvanning club as it has a site we would like to book. Just before I fill everything in, it does not make clear if you need to be all members if you are a family, it gives the option on adding additional members and children. Do you need to do this to stay there as a family ? And does that cost £47 per person ?
They used to offer two levels of membership, digital and paper. The digital one gives you access to all their campsites but only via a phone, tablet or PC. The print version gives you a book with all the sites in plus info on each site. The difference was about £6 less for the digital membership.
I have always found it much easier to look for a site in an area from a paper source rather than a, possibly, not brilliant www connection on a campsite.
The paper membership also gives you a magazine each month, but the Forum is a much more informative read.
You can buy the Big Sites book separately but it was a lot more than the difference in the price between paper and digital membership.

You can book without being a member, and pay the members rate if you are a member when you stay. So perhaps join just before your first stay?
Pitchup is a great website, much easier to find vacancies for particular dates

I was a C & CC member for many years and a constant complaint that arose was that non-members could book and fill sites, apparently C & CC have to permit non-member access.

Basically if a large family group and intend to pitch tents then C & CC.
If smaller group who will only use the Cali or Cali plus driveaway awning then C & MC gives more dedicated pitching facilities.

I think one of the big +s for the C&MH club is their booking and cancellation policy. No Deposit and Cancel upto 48hrs before. Means you can pre-book loads of sites at no cost, But you can get booking privileges suspended if you don't cancel before deadline without a good excuse.
Not keen on the C&CC minimum stay requirement on some sites/time of year and the need of deposits for members.
I belong to both, mainly for CL/CS sites.

I think one of the big +s for the C&MH club is their booking and cancellation policy. No Deposit and Cancel upto 48hrs before. Means you can pre-book loads of sites at no cost, But you can get booking privileges suspended if you don't cancel before deadline without a good excuse.
Not keen on the C&CC minimum stay requirement on some sites/time of year and the need of deposits for members.
I belong to both, mainly for CL/CS sites.
I can’t see how you see your searches sites (eg Devon and Cornwall) all on a map to plot a route. Or whether they have vacancies for your dates, without going into each sites page

I don't think you can on the C&MH site.

Based on last summer, its far easier to just put in the dates & it will tell you which sites have availability, there will probably just be 2 - the site just round the corner from where you live & something with no toilet block in the highlands.

If you havn't booked yet for Half term & summer you may find it difficult to get a pitch.

I can’t see how you see your searches sites (eg Devon and Cornwall) all on a map to plot a route. Or whether they have vacancies for your dates, without going into each sites page
Aah, I see what you mean. I have a cheap Garmin, some years old, that can upload its maps to some freeware from Garmin called Basecamp. You can integrate the Archies Campsite POI file with Basecamp. This shows all the campsites on the map. Focus in on the area and you can see the names of the campsites and there affiliation. If you book when the ub system opens for bookings in January, not too much of a problem and if the main sites you want are booked then often CL/CS sites nearby have room. Research is part of the fun.
But this year, like last year, is going to be very different and, personally, we'll be avoiding all the main tourist areas and going inland, CL/CS sites and even stay at "hotels" which will better manage any restrictions that are in place. As a backstop we have my daughters smallholding in Fenland to camp on.

Pandemic or not we never go away during school holidays. Stay at home in the country and venture out for occasional day trips. Our big away trips are in the Spring or Autumn, even winter. Even then out of school holidays.

I don't think you can on the C&MH site.

Based on last summer, its far easier to just put in the dates & it will tell you which sites have availability, there will probably just be 2 - the site just round the corner from where you live & something with no toilet block in the highlands.

If you havn't booked yet for Half term & summer you may find it difficult to get a pitch.
Thanks
My Dad swears by C&MH and similar - “you can guarantee the quality...etc”.
I was having the problems above so when I stumbled across Pitchup last week I found it more helpful. I booked 6 sites around Cornwall and the new forest in early August. All near the coast, with electric hookup and showers, that also allow dogs.
I’m new (returning after 15 years anyway) to this campervan life so we’ll see how we go.
I do understand concerns (including my anxious old Dad’s) about busy holiday periods but with an 11 year old we haven’t any choice. I’d have gone to less touristy places if I couldn’t get into Cornwall but as we squeezed in, I’ve got everything crossed. In the end, there’s a finite amount of accommodation, so will it be any busier than any other fully booked August?

Thanks
My Dad swears by C&MH and similar - “you can guarantee the quality...etc”.
I was having the problems above so when I stumbled across Pitchup last week I found it more helpful. I booked 6 sites around Cornwall and the new forest in early August. All near the coast, with electric hookup and showers, that also allow dogs.
I’m new (returning after 15 years anyway) to this campervan life so we’ll see how we go.
I do understand concerns (including my anxious old Dad’s) about busy holiday periods but with an 11 year old we haven’t any choice. I’d have gone to less touristy places if I couldn’t get into Cornwall but as we squeezed in, I’ve got everything crossed. In the end, there’s a finite amount of accommodation, so will it be any busier than any other fully booked August?

Some CAMH sites are delightful, some like Hades but you know the product you are going to get, the standards of cleanliness and maintenance and exactly what you, and others, can and cannot do.

They are my go-to whenever I am planning anything.

Pandemic or not we never go away during school holidays. Stay at home in the country and venture out for occasional day trips. Our big away trips are in the Spring or Autumn, even winter. Even then out of school holidays.
Do the schools still impose fines on parents taking children out during term time?

Do the schools still impose fines on parents taking children out during term time?
I know of headteachers who have. I think it was £60/day/parent (so £120 if the child has both parents).
In reality they won’t for a day or two if you’ve good attendance. But I understand they feel obliged to for longer unauthorised absences

Back