Calling all Hobbies!

Soton Campers

Soton Campers

Southampton Campers
VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi folks. Just doing some research on what Hobbies your California allows you to enjoy. I would be grateful if you could post your hobby and what feature(s) of the Cali allows you to get the most out of it.

Thanks all.

Hi folks. Just doing some research on what Hobbies your California allows you to enjoy. I would be grateful if you could post your hobby and what feature(s) of the Cali allows you to get the most out of it.

Thanks all.
Cycling. Road as well as MTB. Helps when we need to travel to a start point. Wife drives the Cali to the end point to meet me and we drive back home.

Dog agility - driving to / from training with 4 dogs crates safely, 3 or more times a week. Often a 90mile round trip. Ability to use heater or ventilate easily whilst at training.
And for camping at competitions (either with driveaway awning or comfortz side panels).

Kayaking (although we are between kayaks right now)
Dog walking
Photography (great makeup station and changing room, plus hand for lunch).
Drone flying
Radio, I do some ham radio and its a great mobile station with a drive on antenna stand.
Cooking.
We always have a few board games in the van too :)

b34ea18d49bef54cc34dd34730bd45cd.jpg

Tree climbing for Ben. Cycling for me. 12.5 flat off road miles around Bewl Water.

Running. Especially big events where hotels are booked up and overpriced for miles around such as the Great North Run.

That was why I went to Durham ........

Oh! .... Why I went to Durham in February, well, check out the camping spots in South Shields, the finish of the GNR :)

Walking. Climbing. Camping. Cycling. Outdoorsing. Travelling. Visiting. Familying. Working. Staying. Relaxing.

More comfortable than a hotel. More flexible than a car. More usable than a tent.

Sketching/painting. Full roof cabinet dedicated to it (drawing board, pastel, watercolor, pencils...). I work on my tailgate extendable table, or in windy conditions at the interior table. Where the sink is of course very usefull.
I get easily disturbed when people passing by want to follow you 'in action', and then I prefer inside. The large kitchen light together with 2 new LED lights stuck at the ceiling ventilation grid (easily dismountable for when outside) compensates enough daylight..

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg unnamed-3.jpg

Last edited:

Recently kayaking, but also boating and water sports in general. Nice to have a place with plenty of space to get changed, your own toilet, being able to wash your hands or your face and dry yourself with your own towel. Cold drinks always available as well as the ability to prepare a meal. Without bringing the CV arguments again, in these times the Cali proved exceptionally useful. Extreme versatile vehicle.
Of course perfect if you want to wake up early up in the mountains to capture stunning sunrises or wild animals if photography is your hobby.
With the bike rack permanent on, cycling adds to the likely hobbies. Or visiting cities and town as you would in a car, but not having to worry about tourist-trap restaurant or cafes.
I think it's perfect for any hobby honestly. It just provides you the convenience, the facility, the base camp from which you can enjoy any hobby. Except perhaps Stamp collecting.

Thanks all.

Dog walking & 70 mile round trips to hydrotherapy
Fell walking
Photography
Golf
Birdwatching

Ease of transporting dogs & ensuring fully dried after hydrotherapy/beach swimming
Warm dry place to eat / drink / especially if in the wilds
Ability to get changed after walking / getting soaked
Hide for bird watching & photography, great for early / late trips
Just all round convenience

Enjoying the outdoors nature and fresh air.20200526_110342.jpg
And PS hope I did not upload my deer tick rashes I just sent to my GP!20200526_110259.jpg

A bit of woodworking on my Legacy ornamental lathe. The Cali just sits on the drive most of the time.
Richard

Thanks everyone for posting. Some interesting hobbies here and some I would have never guessed at. I'm hoping to do an article soon about different uses for the California. I'll post on here when it's completed. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for posting. Some interesting hobbies here and some I would have never guessed at. I'm hoping to do an article soon about different uses for the California. I'll post on here when it's completed. Thanks again.
If you need pics I probably have some

Winter means day trips and some overnights for skiing, summer is weekends away around Switzerland, Jura/Alps/Burgundy etc regions of France for paddle boarding, biking, Hiking, and evenings after work making dinner by Lake Geneva and a sneaky paddle or out in the countryside with fantastic views. Some longer trips too with the family when back in the UK.
Fridge/Internal cooker both used a lot, along with a Cadac whenever possible. Just wish the roof could take more than 50kg as like taking lots of toys :)

Last edited:
I volunteer repairing and replacing the track on the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Steam Railways in Snowdonia. The Cali is my accommodation whilst I'm up there. I park in a field next to the railway hostel so I have access to to showers and toilets but I have a view over Snowdonia one way or the sun setting over the Irish sea if I look the other way. It acts as my mobile hotel where I spend about 8 weeks a year in comfort listening to the music I enjoy. The first picture is moving a number of engines back to base for the new season, the second is the fabulous scenery and the third is what we do.
DSCF1130.JPGDSCF2905b.jpgDSCF2906.JPG

Last edited:
Spoon carving, reading, photography, cycling, archery competitions, the wife weaves, knits, sews and beats wool into shapes.

Windsurfing is/was my sport, I am an instructor. Recently swapped my T5 combi for a T6 Cally with roof bars. Not managed any windsurfing using the Cally yet. Considering driving down to Greece (Vass) if and when Covid-19 regulations allow. Likely to be next year?????