Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calitop Wardrobe Shelves

whiskymac

whiskymac

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I am going to purchase these from Calitop - https://calitop.eu/product_info.php?info=p141_schrankausbau-vw-california.html - and am looking for advice on which combination to buy - and would be grateful for any user experience.

I have a safe (which I don’t use very often – but is useful when I do) and use Amazon Basics packing cubes. There are two of us in the van, so two sets of four packing cubes – would I be better with one or two lower shelves? And with or without cutouts?

When you have three shelves in the wardrobe as we did, the difficulty is getting stuff out from the bottom. You tend to pull up against the lower shelf and eventually break the shelf supports, particularly when the rear seat is up as you have to lean over the back to get to stuff.

Now I would only fit two shelves, one at the top and one about halfway in order leave a decent opening at the bottom above the mattress. Eases access to the safe as well.

I should add that our shelves came from Aljo, who make the wardrobe and kitchen for VW, and did not have the cutout.

Alan

I am going to purchase these from Calitop - https://calitop.eu/product_info.php?info=p141_schrankausbau-vw-california.html - and am looking for advice on which combination to buy - and would be grateful for any user experience.

I have a safe (which I don’t use very often – but is useful when I do) and use Amazon Basics packing cubes. There are two of us in the van, so two sets of four packing cubes – would I be better with one or two lower shelves? And with or without cutouts?
I only fitted one lower shelf for the reasons set out in Alan C post and this worked well also had the packing cubes And safe.

I only fitted one lower shelf for the reasons set out in Alan C post and this worked well also had the packing cubes And safe.
Really helpful, thanks. And did you have a lower shelf with a cutout?

Just ordered these myself. Like you we have the safe and don’t use it very often but probably because at the moment we have to more or less empty the cupboard to get to it. We weren’t sure what to get either, but opted for all 3 shelves with cut outs. They haven’t arrived yet, but happy to take some photos once they are installed if that would help. That might be in a few weeks though.

Not sure they’re the best idea....?
It’s nice having that big cavernous cupboard for all sorts of stuff like spare sleeping bags, pillows and outdoor coats and bits...

Not sure they’re the best idea....?
It’s nice having that big cavernous cupboard for all sorts of stuff like spare sleeping bags, pillows and outdoor coats and bits...
We use our wardrobe for clothes so shelves will be a big improvement.

Am I missing something here? We find that the wardrobe works perfectly for cloths in its wardrobe format. The hanging rail has capacity for loads of clothes, we use wire hangers as plastic ones break easily. Yes it can can be a little bit fiddly getting them out, but then we do tend to take loads of clothes. Access to the safe is still easy by just pushing the clothes to one side.

Am I missing something here? We find that the wardrobe works perfectly for cloths in its wardrobe format. The hanging rail has capacity for loads of clothes, we use wire hangers as plastic ones break easily. Yes it can can be a little bit fiddly getting them out, but then we do tend to take loads of clothes. Access to the safe is still easy by just pushing the clothes to one side.
Feels much easier with shelves and packing Cubs keeps things tidy and easy to find.IMO

Hi Whiskymac, our shelves arrived today without any instructions. Did you receive any instructions with yours or did you just work it out for yourself?

@whiskymac, found them online!
I’m in stuck in France on lockdown at the moment, and my shelves have been delayed by French La Poste restrictions. Unfortunately the order had to be cancelled. I’d like to know how your fitting goes - now you’ve found the instructions !

I’m in stuck in France on lockdown at the moment, and my shelves have been delayed by French La Poste restrictions. Unfortunately the order had to be cancelled. I’d like to know how your fitting goes - now you’ve found the instructions !
0C37D3B3-405A-4C6D-B0B8-6AF3F569A602.jpeg0C37D3B3-405A-4C6D-B0B8-6AF3F569A602.jpegI’ve had a go at making some shelves which seem to work ok

Very easy to fit - used google translate so I could follow the instructions and then no problem at all

And you’re pleased with the result and your chosen combination of shelves?

Hiya - interesting thread
Lots of mention of a safe - is there a particular brand/product that works well/best??

They look great, thank you for the update.
Another question I'm afraid - before I order (again) - I wonder if you use packing cubes in the wardrobe?
We did before the shelves, but not sure we will not need them now

Hiya - interesting thread
Lots of mention of a safe - is there a particular brand/product that works well/best??
I think VW now refer to it as a lockable cupboard. It sits in about half (the lower section) of the floor of the wardrobe. We really don’t use it very often other than when we travel abroad to keep travel documents out of sight.

They look great, thank you for the update.
Another question I'm afraid - before I order (again) - I wonder if you use packing cubes in the wardrobe?
I just use packing cubes, great easy way to organise the wardrobe. Mind you I do like the look of the shelves nice

Good afternoon,

During our last trip (last week) we wanted to improve our "workflows".

The wardrobe space is very good, but to get things in and out is not that easy (maybe if pillows and blankets are used). We used to use the wardrobe as storage space for food (in various boxes) but that doesn't work for us anymore.

We thought to put shelves in the wardrobe and store cloth (T-shirts, trousers etc.) which will maximize the available storage space and give easy access to things we need. The food storage will move back into boxes on the rear drawer.

As mentioned before in here the shelves from Calitop seems quite interesting. The curved shelves seems to give good access even in the lower part of the wardrobe (from the front).

Just wanted to check if somebody recently bought and installed one. I had a look at the video from their web page and read the online manual, it seems that the installation is quite straight forward. It would be brilliant if somebody could share their experience before I place the order.

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Eberhard

Back