Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

Mine’s on a private plate with no problem. (4th vehicle). California Ocean 199PS MY21

31EE09C6-A417-4C71-9E47-701B745D0626.png

Hi GumpyGranddad.
I get the say result in motorway.co.uk site, except I have a much higher CO2 emission - VW know how to get great results!

I have contacted TfL to raise my issue. Thanks to everyone for your help.
I get the say result in motorway.co.uk site, except I have a much higher CO2 emission - VW know how to get great results! :) :)

DVLA changed their mind, re-classified vehicle and as a result refunded Vehicle Tax overpayment.

DVLA changed their mind, re-classified vehicle and as a result refunded Vehicle Tax overpayment.

Anybody gone or planning to go down this route with an MPV registered 2019 California ?

If so what are the benefits, besides cheaper initial tax ? Is it likely to be more beneficial to have it registered as an MPV or the usual California classification when it comes to congestion charges, etc ?

Last edited:
Anybody gone or planning to go down this route with an MPV registered 2019 California ?

If so what are the benefits, besides cheaper initial tax ? Is it likely to be more beneficial to have it registered as an MPV or the usual California classification when it comes to congestion charges, etc ?
I plan to try this as I feeling locked into my insurance company, which I was lucky they accepted an MPV as a Motorhome when this was fresh news in 2019 but years later I’m not confident I could shop around.

I was also told that some sites do not accept you unless your V5 says Motorhome, Restrictive Covenants limiting what they can accept. Personally I can’t imagine a site asking to see your V5.

As a downside to reclassifying I won’t be able to classify as a Car on the fairies and therefore have to pay the little extra. However, I doubt I would have been successful in classifying as a Car to the ferries as I hear they look inside and see the kitchen and call you out. I think the same might apply to some tolls.

If I go ahead do I need to cover mine in decals :thumb

Being an mpv might become a sought after status as the clean air zones target 'vans' (see the Greater Manchester CAZ thread.

Being an mpv might become a sought after status as the clean air zones target 'vans' (see the Greater Manchester CAZ thread.
Are they all / generally targeting vans or is it just the greater Manchester one? My particular vehicle is classified as M1 with a body type of MPV

Are they all / generally targeting vans or is it just the greater Manchester one? My particular vehicle is classified as M1 with a body type of MPV
I'm not sure, I'm only studying my local one (Greater Manchester). I don't object much to not being allowed to drive into a city, but I do object when I can't turn a wheel from my drive without paying £10.

Does look like a lot the announced schemes will omit private cars and target older vans and larger vehicles so a M1 body type and an MPV classification might well be an advantage in the future - though paying the extra road tax for 6 years you would have to in the zones a lot to realise any potential benefit

I plan to try this as I feeling locked into my insurance company, which I was lucky they accepted an MPV as a Motorhome when this was fresh news in 2019 but years later I’m not confident I could shop around.

I was also told that some sites do not accept you unless your V5 says Motorhome, Restrictive Covenants limiting what they can accept. Personally I can’t imagine a site asking to see your V5.

As a downside to reclassifying I won’t be able to classify as a Car on the fairies and therefore have to pay the little extra. However, I doubt I would have been successful in classifying as a Car to the ferries as I hear they look inside and see the kitchen and call you out. I think the same might apply to some tolls.

If I go ahead do I need to cover mine in decals :thumb
Please keep me updated as I might well do the same - especially if you can claim back the cost of past years

I'm not sure, I'm only studying my local one (Greater Manchester). I don't object much to not being allowed to drive into a city, but I do object when I can't turn a wheel from my drive without paying £10.
The Manchester CAZ decision to include M1/MSP1 passenger class vehicles with a body type description “Motorcaravan” on the V5 and N1/N2 (N1 up to 3.5 tonnes/N2 3.5 to 12 tonnes) is a local decision to the 10 Manchester local authorities.
As 2 into 1 says issue is it affects those residents who have a non compliant vehicle particularly as a daily driver with no right of appeal on grounds of hardship, while anyone with an identical vehicle but classed as MPV or say a Kombi conversion or Caravelle will not be charged.

Makes no sense to include a small number of none commercial vehicles.

See this post and details

I just updated the Manchester thread, the Manchester CAZ is rapidly being put to sleep. Our local worries are I think over for MANY years.

Thought this might be of interest; just paid my vehicle road tax on my 2019 California Ocean 4Motion "MPV" and it's cost me £490

Just to clarify, the £490 is made up of £155 vehicle tax and £335 Luxury Vehicle Tax. Seems the £335 Luxury Vehicle Tax is paid for 5yrs after the initial 1st year payment, in my case as far as I understand it, in 2025 my vehicle tax will be £155 (at today's prices) per year

Just paid £520 for our VW Cali Ocean 150. Taxed as a Diesel car, just another of this Govt. ‘rip offs’ !

Just paid £520 for our VW Cali Ocean 150. Taxed as a Diesel car, just another of this Govt. ‘rip offs’ !
I'm the same - but hey cheaper than 6 months as a " monthly value" of tax paid when I come to SORN latter in the year, instead of having six months and then SORNing part way through another 6 month spread. That's the way I look at it.

Back