Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California trip dreaming - please share your favourites

VWCoastbusters

VWCoastbusters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
With our van on order (hoping for a March delivery), and in the midst of Autumn/Winter and Lockdown 2.0, I need something to look forward to. So, i've decided to start a wish list of places to go, UK, Ireland and Europe. I'd love to hear from others of places to go and things to see.

Please share your top spots for:

1. A short weekend break
2. A longer week or so
3. Any must stay campsites
4. Top sights not to miss

I'll start of with some from me
1. Jurassic Coast in Dorset is spectacular for a break - spoilt because I live here
2. Ile de Re - stunning white sand beaches, island covered by cycle paths, great food and views
3. Camping Cormoran in Ile de Re, or Broad Park Farm camping in N Devon
4. Gorges du Verdon in France. Discovered it entirely by accident when we went off motorway in France. Spectacular vistas, Europe's Grand Canyon in my book.

Thank you!
Kate

With our van on order (hoping for a March delivery), and in the midst of Autumn/Winter and Lockdown 2.0, I need something to look forward to. So, i've decided to start a wish list of places to go, UK, Ireland and Europe. I'd love to hear from others of places to go and things to see.

1. A short weekend break
2. A longer week or so

1. Jurassic Coast in Dorset is spectacular for a break - spoilt because I live here
2. Ile de Re - stunning white sand beaches, island covered by cycle paths, great food and views
4. Gorges du Verdon in France. Discovered it entirely by accident when we went off motorway in France. Spectacular vistas, Europe's Grand Canyon in my book.

Thank you!
Kate
Great thread idea. Hoping to get my Ocean in March too, so I have to go back to driving my Dads old T5 Reimo conversion to Venice in 2008...
1. Kingsdown Camping near Deal and the white cliffs of Dover
2. Switzerland has stunning roads, cable cars and ski lifts available in summer for incredible walks/bikes rides/views/ cheese/swanky restaurants/James Bond locations...
3. Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen
4. Train up from Lauterbrunnen though the Eiger up to an ice palace at jungfraujoch (3454m) https://www.campingjungfrau.swiss/en

Our van is due next Feb so not got loads to add ..
-Commen End farm campsite, Ashbourne, very friendly, small rural site, very clean, nice pub down the road, Fire pits and a good 5k walk to Dovedale.
- We have booked Mad Hatters Campsite next April, in Cambridge, looks a bit quirky and different

I am just dreaming to be out of lockdown and being free to add the milk to the van a go.

Weekend break - depends where you live and what your interests are but we like kayaking and paddle boarding so the Keswick Caravan and Camping site is great as if you’re lucky you get to pitch on the shore
Week stay - NC500 (Scottish cult road trip for those of you who haven’t heard of it) in this country is a definite.
I’ll update you on overseas trips once I’ve got my van!
We’ve just bought the Britstop book and are planning lots of mini weekends away next year - some at pubs, one at a vineyard, one in a car park overlooking a Loch in Scotland and another at a farm shop - and all for free if you buy something from the pub/place you’re staying

Happy Dreaming everyone!

Thanks everyone. Would be great to build a Forum top spots thread

Great Post.
New to the joys of California life, but we managed a weekend at Dunstan Hill near Embleton just before Lockdown 2.0 and if it gets any better than this I can’t wait for more. A mile off road walk to the beach, then the Northumberland Coastal walk around Dunstanburgh Castle and the lovely Craster. Planning NC500 next year. Europe in 2022.

Similarly, we are new to the California life but managed a weekend away in St Ives, Cornwall pre-lockdown 2.
Learnt a lot given it was our first trip away and the site (Ayr Holiday Park) was great.
Amenities really good and beach only a short walk away. Would definitely recommend.

B111ECAD-3D53-4493-91D6-C64EE77FD684.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there a link anywhere that shows people's top 10 campsites and why? In lockdown 2.0 i would like to compile a list starting with the Quantocks (my old school.)

Is there a link anywhere that shows people's top 10 campsites and why? In lockdown 2.0 i would like to compile a list starting with the Quantocks (my old school.)
Not that I've seen. It's why I started the thread.

Hi I can’t reply to your advert, will the window bag fit a T6 Caravelle?
Cheers

Sorry what side is it you have?

Hi Phil. I am also unable to PM you - are you a full member of the group? That is potentially the issue.

I can’t be sure of compatibility between Beach/Caravelle given I have never tried it and don’t have too much experience with VW but having looked at the website, I assume it would fit.

In terms of side, we’ve only used it once and used it on the passengers side.

Regards,

Mark

Beach and Caravelle have different window blinds, don't they? That may be an issue in fitting the bags in a Caravelle. I don't have them, but have read that they slot in at the top behind the pull-down blinds.

Hi

Unfortunately I do not know the Caravelle. I can confirm that the bag does indeed fit behind the window blind in my Beach.

I have attempted to find information within the forum regarding compatibility etc. to no avail but found this on the VanEssa website.

Regards,

2ACA6F57-8B65-40F7-BE46-40A301275A8B.png

1. A short weekend break
2. A longer week or so

Thank you!
Kate
We like Rosedale Abbey caravan park , has warm showers etc in N Yorks moors national park, sadly open Easter onward closed in winter. Great walks near N sea - Whitby etc not far to Tan Hill highest pub in England. Also steam railway at Pickering. Great all round venue imho also can pitch tent on some pitches.

1. A short weekend break
2. A longer week or so

Thank you!
Kate
By the way there’s great walking in the area and super mountain biking terrain

Back