Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Time - YouTube Channel

In terms of our iso-top - it got wet at the bottom only the side where there was driving wind and rain (all night!) against the canvas. This I think was due to the fact that the isotop was constantly touching the canvas due to the wind pushing the canvas against it, thus inducing wicking of the water through the canvas.

All cotton tents we've ever had (and our T6 Cali, and this one) have had wicking of water through them if things touch them when they are wet.

Solution is to use a topper or a wrap - both external and both solve the problem, but are a bit of a pain to put on, especially in high wind !

Alternatively, sleep downstairs with the roof down, if you can and if practical...
We should have put our Pucer pop top screen on but the weather wasn’t bad when we turned in. Will do in future if there’s any chance of bad weather.

Well another Friday rolls around so here is another video, launching at 6pm tonight.

This time we’re reviewing the Sea to Summit self inflating campervan mattress. This has had a lot of discussion on here before so we hope you’ll find this interesting and helpful.

We will try to be there at 6pm for the premiere, so please do post any questions or comments in the chat as the video airs.

See you later and thank you for all your wonderful support

Hi, could you share a link to the decide you use to deflate the mattress in this video please?

Hi Everyone

Now that we are up and running with our new channel ‘California Time’ I thought I’d start this new thread that we can update you on the videos we make and publish.

Thank you for all the feedback on the other thread, much to take in and digest and lots of ideas between me and Sarah.

Today we have published a couple of ‘mini’ clips, where we’ve stripped back all of the fancy stuff and just covered two things;
1) The T6.1 fly screens
and
2) The L-Shaped table (i.e. the table strap)

We have got a ‘this is us collecting our new Cali’ together with unpacking everything it came with video - we’re just finishing it off. Hopefully to upload at the weekend whilst we are on our first camping trip.

Thanks for supporting us. I won‘t beg you to subscribe, but it is the easiest way for you to be notified when we upload new stuff.

Don’t worry - the fun stuff is coming :)

California Time Mini - Installing OEM VW Side Window Fly Screens on a T6.1 California

California Time Mini - We create an L-SHAPE table in our VW California! See how simple it is!
I bought a t6.1 after watching a few other channels....they were great and got me into the van life. I've got to say your channel is probably the best for info...I have watched all your videos which are very informative...I would have subscribed but I don't have a you tube account...and you haven't done a video on how to get one :) ....so really a big well done for what you have done....you clearly enjoy it so keep it going. I may do a channel with my wife but I think us arguing about her dropping crumbs on the seat, not swivelling the front seat correctly, splashing oil on the cooker from fry ups etc etc would not go down well...I may come across as being fussy :) :)

Last edited:
do you think water was coming in through the vents holes at the top on the sides?
To me, that looks like the water has come in through the top vents, run down between the Isotop & the roof & then when its got to the velcro, run along it & seeped out at the bottom.

I bought a t6.1 after watching a few other channels....they were great and got me into the van life. I've got to say your channel is probably the best for info...I have watched all your videos which are very informative...I would have subscribed but I don't have a you tube account...and you haven't done a video on how to get one :) ....so really a big well done for what you have done....you clearly enjoy it so keep it going. I may do a channel with my wife but I think us arguing about her dropping crumbs on the seat, not swivelling the front seat correctly, splashing oil on the cooker from fry ups etc etc would not go down well...I may come across as being fussy :) :)
You're very kind, thank you! Glad the channel is helpful for you and you're having fun in your van.

Hi Everyone

We're really conscious that our channel has had a lot of 'holiday' type of content on recently, and today will be no exception with our last leg of our Outer Hebrides trip (Skye and Fort William - neither of which are in the OH obviously!). We didn't realise quite how much footage we had but also how much there is to share about these great islands.

Anyway, we'll be back to a bit more factual stuff soon. If the weather is kind this weekend we have a few ideas we're going to be filming, so hopefully mixing things up a bit.

We'd really like to hear from you on our first ever live stream though. This is set for Monday 1st November at 8pm -
we are trying to get feedback on our channel so far and also do a Q&A on anything you may want to know. Would be great if you can drop by.

Here are our links for our Outer Hebrides Series too - including the link for the video live tonight at 7pm.

Part 1 - Stornaway and Lewis -
Part 2 - Harris -
Part 3 - The Uists -
Part 4 - Barra and Vatersay -
Part 5 - Skye and Fort William - https://youtu.be/-3pCo5itDds

Thanks for all the support

Will, Sarah and Lucy

Morning everyone!

Sarah, Lucy and myself wanted to extend a huge thank you to you all, we reached another milestone today of 2000 subscribers. It's great hearing your feedback on our videos and we're really enjoying making them.

We've got our live stream tomorrow (Monday 1st Nov) at 8pm, then we've got a new video we've been filming this weekend coming up soon after...

Thanks again

Great Q&A last night really enjoyed it and very informative. This is currently my go to California channel really like the mix of travel, accessory reviews and technical, keep the videos coming. Please to see others agree with subscribers now hitting the 2k mark.

I caught up on the recorded Q&A and wished I’d been there for the live stream! It was very informative - and you have started us thinking about upgrading our T6 to a T6.1….with a drawer!!

Hi Everyone, a quick fun video on Nespresso in our Cali - lots of other suggestions for coffee too… what’s your favourite method?!

The BEST camping coffee?! No Power Nespresso in our VW California!
Aha! Small world, I commented on this video about the Picopresso just this morning!

I caught up on the recorded Q&A and wished I’d been there for the live stream! It was very informative - and you have started us thinking about upgrading our T6 to a T6.1….with a drawer!!

Yes the little drawer seemed to spark a lot of conversation!! We have now managed to get a full list of all the bits required, so will be ordering and then doing a video in due course as we fit it etc.

Missed the live Q&A. Please could I ask if you use the hill and fall crest sides a lot?

Missed the live Q&A. Please could I ask if you use the hill and fall crest sides a lot?
In all honesty we haven't yet - but that is because most of our time away has been in the Outer Hebrides and the wind and rain was a little too great. Looking forward to using them a lot in the spring and summer next year though !

Finally caught up with the Q&A. Very useful as always. Keep the vids coming! Also watched the cupboard video.

Tescos are currently selling the Curver baskets you show at £3.50ea. Bought a pair today in a nice grey to match the Cali interior.

Hi Everyone

For anyone who hasn't seen our latest video and might fancy a Derbyshire break away in the new year (campsite is now closed apart from their Glamping pods..) - here it it!

Oh, and we compare Bakewell Tart vs Pudding too. :)

Hi Will, I'd like to comment here rather than Youtube. I am not happy with you not torquing the 5th bolt to 180Nm if I may offer an opinion. It's a heavy van, there is a technical reason why it should be 180Nm, well more than a regular car. You are basically holding the wheels on with 4 bolts each wheel. I can only assume your past negative experience must have been with a stripped security bolt? In any case I'd rather use 5 normal bolts and risk having the wheels nicked (thieves can also buy set of those "security" bolts) , than drive with the risk of any wheel potentially coming off as only 80% of the bolts are tightened. Even if you think there is only a 1% chance of that happening, 1% of the cost of a totalled van as a consequence of losing a wheel at speed is 70.000 x 1% = 700 quid. Which is the cost of replacing a full set of nicked wheels and tires. This, touch wood, assuming no injuries.
I am not sure about the common fear that the VW jack is rubbish , or unstable, or everything that is being written about it in the forum. I also ended up with an hydraulic jack, out of forum fear, but since it could also fail, I support it with a jack stand. Link.

Thanks for the note and after making the video I did read in the owners manual somewhere that the locking one torques to 150nm. I will find the reference and post it up.

I would have chocked at least one wheel before jacking especially when doing the rear.

I slide the back seat fully forward & access the jack through the side door.

Locking bolt should be 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position with the valve at 12 O'clock.

I would ditch the locking bolt if you've got hub covers, no one can see if you've got one fitted or not.

I would never admit to not doing up the locking bolt to less than 180nm on here, the last poster to say that got lynched.

Do we really need winter tyres and wheels in this country? Seems a lot of faff to me.

i‘m really enjoying the CT videos, even though I only have a T6, a lot of it is relevant and I enjoy their trips away.

Back