Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Time - YouTube Channel

I would have chocked at least one wheel before jacking especially when doing the rear.

I slide the back seat fully forward & access the jack through the side door.

Locking bolt should be 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position with the valve at 12 O'clock.

I would ditch the locking bolt if you've got hub covers, no one can see if you've got one fitted or not.

I would never admit to not doing up the locking bolt to less than 180nm on here, the last poster to say that got lynched.
Hi Andy - totally agree and I did chock the front wheel, just didn't include it in the video (my mistake).

Every day is a school day, didn't know about the locking bolt being best placed at 10 or 2 against the valve, but makes sense from a wheel balance perspective now I think about it. Thanks for the tip.

Re the torque - I'm more than willing to admit when I'm wrong or there is better information available, but yes, I have been victim previously to locking wheel bolts made of cheese and then requiring quite destructive behaviour (and subsequent wheel refurb) to get them off. Not pleasant, and I took the advice of the garage at the time to never fully torque up the locking bolt. I will find the bit in the manual if I can.

The simplest answer as you say, is to ditch them! I'll be looking in to that ASAP I think.

Do we really need winter tyres and wheels in this country? Seems a lot of faff to me.

i‘m really enjoying the CT videos, even though I only have a T6, a lot of it is relevant and I enjoy their trips away.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback on the channel and I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Do we need winter wheels and tyres, well, probably depends where you live and where you go. I don't want the dreaded whiteworm issues with my diamond cut Woodstock wheels on my T6.1 so taking them off over winter with all the salt/stones etc will help prevent that. My thoughts then are, if I'm taking the wheels off over winter, the ones that go on might as well have winter tyres on. We do also live in a village with a big steep hill to exit it, so winter tyres as well as 4mo will give more confidence, especially as any major A road is about 10 miles of B and unclassified roads away.

If things get really bad we'll just take our Disco3 mind..

Hi Will, a relatively new owner here - we bought our 2014 Ocean SE last September and I'm still getting to grips with everything. I've enjoyed watching your videos and have bought one or two things following your recommendations. Do you have details of where you bought your front rubber mats from? I've searched online and failed to find them - I'm particularly interested in the middle mat as our carpet is very pale and the dog tends to sleep in the front and it gets filthy! Many thanks,

Rachel.

Hi Will, a relatively new owner here - we bought our 2014 Ocean SE last September and I'm still getting to grips with everything. I've enjoyed watching your videos and have bought one or two things following your recommendations. Do you have details of where you bought your front rubber mats from? I've searched online and failed to find them - I'm particularly interested in the middle mat as our carpet is very pale and the dog tends to sleep in the front and it gets filthy! Many thanks,

Rachel.
Morning Rachel we just got some rubber mats from VW garage (Van Centre) they came with the middle part.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you have a part number or web address - I still can't fine them.

Hi there

I recently purchased the 3 mats from Campervantastic. 2 sets currently in stock. Link below.

https://+++++++++++++++++++++++/pro...1-front-footwell-rubber-all-weather-mats-rhd/

Just be aware that the mats are a different shape between T6.1 and earlier vans. Also the fixing clips changed at some point between T5.1 & T6

Back