Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California nightmare.

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I don't know if it was the smoked cheese that did it but last night for the first time in my life I had a disturbing nightmare about our Cali. I clipped it with our car whilst reversing and the whole side fell off the van, front door and all. Closer examination revealed that it was only held together with joint mastic and no spot welds.

This raises two questions:

1. Is this a common issue?

Or

2. Should I lay off the cheese?

:thumb

I don't know if it was the smoked cheese that did it but last night for the first time in my life I had a disturbing nightmare about our Cali. I clipped it with our car whilst reversing and the whole side fell off the van, front door and all. Closer examination revealed that it was only held together with joint mastic and no spot welds.

Or

I wouldn’t worry to much Borris it’s just affects of ”lockdown”
stay with the cheese!

Or

You need wine with the cheese.

Then you would not worry about the mastic instead of spot welds,

You need wine with the cheese.

Then you would not worry about the mastic instead of spot welds,
Well we did start a bottle of Chateau Laithwaite last night. Perhaps we should have finished it. :thumb

Or

Have checked your van today ?

1) is this a common issue - I think even VW wouldn’t go as far as only holding the side of the van on with mastic ! :Iamsorry

2) should you lay off the cheese - certainly not, we’ve all had a good laugh at your cheese escapades! :cheers

Last edited:
If I had my fill (nibble) of cheese in the evening I have my glass of Port with it. So far I have not experience any nightmares or side effects... maybe Port is a good way to "counterbalance" the "dreamy impact" of the cheese?

Happy cheesy California
Eberhard

Well we did start a bottle of Chateau Laithwaite last night. Perhaps we should have finished it. :thumb
That’s the issue there... if eating cheese of an evening you need to empty the bottle of wine... sleep tight and have no nightmares... works for me...

Or

About a year ago, I had a dream that we’d fallen on hard times and had to sell our van. I then found one being advertised ridiculously cheap that a dealer was reluctant to sell me. After I persuaded him to sell it to us, I took Mrs H on a forum meet trip to France. Whilst on the Eurotunnel under the channel, we discovered that the van was haunted and it tried to kill us. It was only the actions of other forum members who managed to rescue us from our compartment that saved us. Seems stupid - but was terrifying at the time!

Was it Califlower cheese by any chance?
No. It was extra mature cheddar smoked by a big Bastard and accompanied by a glass of Aussie Dark Corner.

Screenshot_20210510-204534_Chrome.jpg

Our eldest's new toy.

Last edited:
About a year ago, I had a dream that we’d fallen on hard times and had to sell our van. I then found one being advertised ridiculously cheap that a dealer was reluctant to sell me. After I persuaded him to sell it to us, I took Mrs H on a forum meet trip to France. Whilst on the Eurotunnel under the channel, we discovered that the van was haunted and it tried to kill us. It was only the actions of other forum members who managed to rescue us from our compartment that saved us. Seems stupid - but was terrifying at the time!
'Struth, what had you been nibbling before beddy-byes? Not the old Stinking Bishop and Scrumpy combo again? :thumb

Stephen King and “ Christine” springs to mind!

Or

Perhaps it wasn’t mastic, but Primula squirty tube cheese.

Or

No more nails?

Or

Oh my … what was your cheese smoked in & where can I get some???

Oh my … what was your cheese smoked in & where can I get some???
Hello Mike,
Please see post 11.

The "Bastard" is our eldest son and daughter in law's new toy. They have been having great fun experimenting in the few weeks since it arrived. I have just given them a call to find out more details of the cheese for you and they have invited us over for lunch. So thanks to you that's lunch sorted. :thumb Apparently lunch will be very slow cooked pulled pork.

As for the cheese, well the raw material was a large block of superb extra mature cheddar given to them by their village butcher. They are often given freebies, this time to try out in the smoker. Anyway said block of cheese was cut into smaller chunks and slow smoked using Hickory pellets. Apparently you can get all sorts of different pellets to smoke with including apple and cherry wood to name but two.

Anyway back to the cheese. The smoking process seems to dry the cheese a little leaving it with a fantastic texture. During the process it seems to develop many small cracks which helps the smoke to permeate further. When the smoking process is complete you are then supposed to wrap it in clingfilm and place in the fridge for a couple of weeks before eating. I'm told it helps to ensure the flavour goes right through. As if that was ever going to happen!

All I can say is that it is utterly delicious especially with a glass of red. I must say that I am very envious as it seems to be a great tool. However, I won't be buying one. They only live about five miles from us. ;)

Hello Mike,
Please see post 11.

The "Bastard" is our eldest son and daughter in law's new toy. They have been having great fun experimenting in the few weeks since it arrived. I have just given them a call to find out more details of the cheese for you and they have invited us over for lunch. So thanks to you that's lunch sorted. :thumb Apparently lunch will be very slow cooked pulled pork.

As for the cheese, well the raw material was a large block of superb extra mature cheddar given to them by their village butcher. They are often given freebies, this time to try out in the smoker. Anyway said block of cheese was cut into smaller chunks and slow smoked using Hickory pellets. Apparently you can get all sorts of different pellets to smoke with including apple and cherry wood to name but two.

Anyway back to the cheese. The smoking process seems to dry the cheese a little leaving it with a fantastic texture. During the process it seems to develop many small cracks which helps the smoke to permeate further. When the smoking process is complete you are then supposed to wrap it in clingfilm and place in the fridge for a couple of weeks before eating. I'm told it helps to ensure the flavour goes right through. As if that was ever going to happen!

All I can say is that it is utterly delicious especially with a glass of red. I must say that I am very envious as it seems to be a great tool. However, I won't be buying one. They only live about five miles from us. ;)
We understand better why it is forbidden for British people to enter the EU with a ham and cheese sandwich. :Iamsorry

Last edited:
I would say just think yourself lucky you got one of their better constructed vehicles. Probably made on a Wednesday afternoon shift...

Back