Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California hob

Bodders

Bodders

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi I have a 2008 California se I have had it since it was three years old the hob in it burns with a yellow tip on the flame and black-ends the bottom of the kettle and leaves soot it has done it ever since I had the van I have been told this is dangerous I have tried a different regulator and Cleaned the jets but no difference has any one had this problem thanks Paul

I'd say (but prepared to be wrong) the issue is your gas regulator and you likely need a new one. Soot I believe is from too much air in the gas / air mix and all that is managed at the regulator end. Should be an easy fix / check.

Hi I have a 2008 California se I have had it since it was three years old the hob in it burns with a yellow tip on the flame and black-ends the bottom of the kettle and leaves soot it has done it ever since I had the van I have been told this is dangerous I have tried a different regulator and Cleaned the jets but no difference has any one had this problem thanks Paul
Yes, it is dangerous as it is a sign of incomplete combustion and besides producing soot also produces Carbon Monoxide.
Does this happen with both burners?
It is not related to the gas bottle regulator but the actual burner where air is mixed with the gas.

Start by removing Part 19, below, and clean thoroughly with a stiff brush. That is where the air is added to the gas for combustion.

452068100.png

If that doesn’t work then remove assembly 8 and ensure the actual jet under the burner is clean.

Sounds as if something has spilt and fouled the burner and or jet.

Last edited:
I'd say (but prepared to be wrong) the issue is your gas regulator and you likely need a new one. Soot I believe is from too much air in the gas / air mix and all that is managed at the regulator end. Should be an easy fix / check.
I'm sorry but that is incorrect.

All the Cylinder gas regulator does is regulate the pressure of the gas coming out of the cylinder itself. The cylinder contains liquid Butane under pressure. As gas is let out of the cylinder the pressure drops and the liquid gas vaporises to maintain the pressure in the cylinder. The gas pressure in the cylinder varies with temperature and atmospheric pressure and is in fact greater than the pressure required to run the gas burners safely and correctly. Hence a Gas Regulator that regulates the pressure of the released gas to be 30 mbar above atmospheric pressure.

Air is only added to the gas to produce the combustable gas mix at the gas jet. If the disk shaped burner is dirty/blocked etc then insufficient air is added, then you get a yellow flame and incomplete combustion. This would fail a gas safety check.

I'm sorry but that is incorrect.

All the Cylinder gas regulator does is regulate the pressure of the gas coming out of the cylinder itself. The cylinder contains liquid Butane under pressure. As gas is let out of the cylinder the pressure drops and the liquid gas vaporises to maintain the pressure in the cylinder. The gas pressure in the cylinder varies with temperature and atmospheric pressure and is in fact greater than the pressure required to run the gas burners safely and correctly. Hence a Gas Regulator that regulates the pressure of the released gas to be 30 mbar above atmospheric pressure.

Air is only added to the gas to produce the combustable gas mix at the gas jet. If the disk shaped burner is dirty/blocked etc then insufficient air is added, then you get a yellow flame and incomplete combustion. This would fail a gas safety check.
Good job I was prepared to be wrong ;)

I read it on a Cadac forum where someone had the same issue and had (apparently) fitted the incorrect regulator.

Good job I was prepared to be wrong ;)

I read it on a Cadac forum where someone had the same issue and had (apparently) fitted the incorrect regulator.
If a higher pressure regulator is fitted thus providing a higher gas flow than designed for then insufficient air might be entrained thus giving the wrong gas mixture . So it could be a possible cause.
I think I will ask the OP to provide a photo or check that the regulator is of the correct pressure. He did state that he had replaced it, but if the previous owner had fitted the wrong regulator and the OP just replaced like for like then a possibility.

@Bodders . You say you have changed the regulator. Is it the correct regulator and pressure. 30mBar

866D9B22-EA7E-4448-8C73-C9E1A0038CF4.jpeg

If a higher pressure regulator is fitted thus providing a higher gas flow than designed for then insufficient air might be entrained thus giving the wrong gas mixture . So it could be a possible cause.
I think I will ask the OP to provide a photo or check that the regulator is of the correct pressure. He did state that he had replaced it, but if the previous owner had fitted the wrong regulator and the OP just replaced like for like then a possibility.
Having twigged eventually that the gas element of your name is literal, based on experience, and not metaphorical, based on postings, I will defer to you in all matters gas and regulator related!

Having twigged eventually that the gas element of your name is literal, based on experience, and not metaphorical, based on postings, I will defer to you in all matters gas and regulator related!
I have had the van from nearly new I have tried 2 different regulators no difference but if I connect it to red bottle with a37millebar regulator it’s a lot better I have just taken a photo of the jet and it has 67 on it I am going to check my friends California and see what number his has on it I am sure there was a problem with the hobs on the early California