Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach manual roof

S

simon.foster

I have started playing with my new Beach and in particular the manual roof. I used to have a California SE and the electric roof was great. How does everyone avoid trapping the roof material at the front near the two clasps? There must be a knack to it.

simon.foster said:
I have started playing with my new Beach and in particular the manual roof. I used to have a California SE and the electric roof was great. How does everyone avoid trapping the roof material at the front near the two clasps? There must be a knack to it.

i have done this - before the roof comes fully down with the final tug I just push the material to one side if required.

James

Yes I agree with James.

When you pull the roof down there's a stage when it's all collapsed but still just a few inches above the clasps. I fold the material back behind the clasps then pull the roof down snug.

There isn't any obvious place to put the material - it just folds/stuffs/rolls back a bit - but it's fine.

Its not the most elegant solution!!

I actually find if I do "too good a job" of rolling and folding the excess material back, the roof latches are not that tight and vibrate as I drive along making for quite a loud knocking from both sides.

If I'm honest, the roof has been my only disappointment with the Beach! :sad

redredzimmer said:
Its not the most elegant solution!!

I actually find if I do "too good a job" of rolling and folding the excess material back, the roof latches are not that tight and vibrate as I drive along making for quite a loud knocking from both sides.

If I'm honest, the roof has been my only disappointment with the Beach! :sad

I'd have to disagree with that. In my view the roof is a piece of genius. I've not had rattles at all so far. It goes up in a minute or so. If I had a full Cali I'd have it over the electric roof.

The latches on my roof have always felt right and secure. It's a shame you have that issue, maybe something for a dealer to check over

I have to say I don't use my roof a lot and who knows what will happen with increased use.

James

Agree, of I could have had the manual roof with my full Cali I would have done. All the electrickery just waiting to go wrong at the most inconvenient time

beardie said:
Agree, of I could have had the manual roof with my full Cali I would have done. All the electrickery just waiting to go wrong at the most inconvenient time

Agree +3
What swayed me towards the Beach was the manual roof.
Electric roof just sounds like future headache. Not sure I would want one outside warranty...!!!

I have to say that I have had both electric and now manual and to be honest the electric version is great and a lot easier. Having said that you get what you pay for and the Beach is not a bad option.

I can't say how much easier the Beach roof could be, two latches, two hooks and it's done.

James

James said:
I can't say how much easier the Beach roof could be, two latches, two hooks and it's done.

James

well i'd say easier is to press one button... :mrgreen:

frigorifix said:
James said:

James

As you stand there with your finger on the button... :mrgreen:

i don't advocate that one type of roof is better than the other. I am pretty certain that the Beach roof can be raised quicker but the electric roof on the Cali's is a lovely 'halo' piece of kit. It suits the van and adds to a feeling of something special.

James

You stand there and press your button.
But we both know who will get a faster erection ;)

:hello

frigorifix said:
James said:

James

Back