Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach Heaters

Brilliant - that's the one to have. You can have a nice warm nights in your van all winter, and have the engine warmed up for you before you set off.

Just hooked up to mains first time ever. Will leaf through manual to see how to tell if battery charged/remaining charge....

Have yet to do an overnight in the van though in 5 weeks of ownership have done 1,400 miles.

Just hooked up to mains first time ever. Will leaf through manual to see how to tell if battery charged/remaining charge....

Have yet to do an overnight in the van though in 5 weeks of ownership have done 1,400 miles.
It's about time you went camping and tried everything out.:)

View attachment 16892

Check the sticker in the drivers door.
My says:
ThermoTop C (engine/driving heater)
Air top 3500 ST (Auxiliary heater)

I've been trying to figure out what I have, to see if my flat battery issue was connected with using the heating, and apparently I have both, as I have the same two stickers.

I only have one remote control, and the heater I used on Saturday was operated from the control panel above the mirror, and when turned on, blew warm air into the living area and the front through vents near the bottom of the door pillars.

Which heater was it, and does it use the vehicle battery or the leisure battery?

If the warm air was blowing into the rear of the van then it was the parking heater you have a remote for. This will use the leisure battery.

The coolant heater helps the engine get up to temp when cold and if you have a remote for that, the warm air will come from the front vents in the cab area to pre warm it. That one would use the engine/vehicle battery.

If the warm air was blowing into the rear of the van then it was the parking heater you have a remote for. This will use the leisure battery.

The coolant heater helps the engine get up to temp when cold and if you have a remote for that, the warm air will come from the front vents in the cab area to pre warm it. That one would use the engine/vehicle battery.
Thanks - didn't use the remote so I have no idea about that - the picture of the remote looks like it may operate the coolant heater. But as long as it was the parking heater working off the leisure battery, I don't think it's connected with my flat engine battery.

There should be a vent on the pillar behind the drivers seat by the sliding door, that is usually where the parking heater air comes from. :)

Thanks - didn't use the remote so I have no idea about that - the picture of the remote looks like it may operate the coolant heater. But as long as it was the parking heater working off the leisure battery, I don't think it's connected with my flat engine battery.
1. Is it the Original Engine Battery?
2. Did you switch OFF the cab lights, that operate everytime you open a door? Switch by drivers mirror.
3. Did you use your Dashboard radio frequently? That runs off the engine battery
4. Do you have an electric sliding door , not just the electric latching?

If it is the original engine battery then it may not be able to store much of a charge and using 2 & 3 & 4 above may have taken it down sufficient.

Another possibility is:- The Cigarrete lighter 12v socket in the dash/cupholder/tray runs off the Engine Battery. Was this in use?

There have been reports of the 12v socket on the kitchen unit, behind the Passengers seat, being mis-wired to the Engine Battery. Did you use this?

I think the Coolant Heater only works for a maximum 30mins using the remote anyway.

1. Is it the Original Engine Battery? - can't tell as we bought the van 6 months ago and it's 9 years old - obviously can't be the original but the service history we have doesn't include batteries so we don't know how old. I shall pop round to out friendly local tyre and battery man and get him to test the battery, but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before doing that. I think it may well need a new one because......... (see answers below)

2. Did you switch OFF the cab lights, that operate everytime you open a door? Switch by drivers mirror. Yes, I usually keep them off for that reason.

3. Did you use your Dashboard radio frequently? That runs off the engine battery We only used it for an hour or so

4. Do you have an electric sliding door , not just the electric latching? Yes we turned that off too!

If it is the original engine battery then it may not be able to store much of a charge and using 2 & 3 & 4 above may have taken it down sufficient.

Another possibility is:- The Cigarrete lighter 12v socket in the dash/cupholder/tray runs off the Engine Battery. Was this in use? No, I use it for the satnav but that gets unplugged as soon as we stop.

There have been reports of the 12v socket on the kitchen unit, behind the Passengers seat, being mis-wired to the Engine Battery. Did you use this?
No I didn't - but anyway, in our van it definitely only works when on EHU!

I've been away for weekends (and longer) before without turning off the electric door without any problem, the only things different this time were using the heating which comes off the leisure battery anyway, and the fact that I forgot to switch off the ignition after bringing the roof down - but it was only on for a few minutes so if that was enough to flatten the battery (older van - no DRLs) then I probably do need a new one, after all I'd driven 120 miles on the Friday.

Thanks for all the help folks!

No I didn't - but anyway, in our van it definitely only works when on EHU!

I've been away for weekends (and longer) before without turning off the electric door without any problem, the only things different this time were using the heating which comes off the leisure battery anyway, and the fact that I forgot to switch off the ignition after bringing the roof down - but it was only on for a few minutes so if that was enough to flatten the battery (older van - no DRLs) then I probably do need a new one, after all I'd driven 120 miles on the Friday.

Thanks for all the help folks!
If your vehicle milage is significantly less than 100,000 miles, which I bet it is, then it may well be the original battery. Although a low milage vehicle might have fewer starts in its life time also has an effect on the battery, also the vehicle may not have been exposed to many low temperature starts which will quickly expose a battery nearing the end of its life.
As you have already stated, get it checked out especially if you intend to use it over the winter months.

You could check the age of the battery. This video tells you how to do that.

Thanks for that! IT does indeed have less than 100,000, when I bought it 6 months ago it had 68,000, though it has a few more now.

I have a new battery! It was indeed the original VW battery, so I'm not complaining.

I have a new battery! It was indeed the original VW battery, so I'm not complaining.
9 years use for a Starter Battery is very good going.
Unfortunately there is a possibility that the Leisure Batteries are also original. Should be OK if using Mains Hookup but if not you may find that there will be a limit to how long the Fridge or Parking Heater will run if camping off grid.:thumb

I did think of that, but they're not as vital, after all - I have torches, and if the fridge ceased to work we could just eat the food!

Diesel heater is the best by far. Remote control. Built in. Uses very little diesel when parked. My husband uses the beach to get to work and he switches the heater on in a morning to warm it up using the remote control through the front door. Brilliant well worth the ÂŁ1700.

Well I would have the parking heater over any other option.

Our beach was covered in thick frost this morning and our neighbours were out scraping their car windows before heading off for work. I very smugly gave the heater remote a double press from our kitchen whilst having my breakfast. Thirty minutes later I left to take our grandchildren to school in a warm and fully de-iced vehicle. Luxury!

Can you tell me which heater you're meaning? I have an Ebespacher heater which we use when living in the van, and also a Webasto heater which I believe is something to do with pre-heating the coolant and windscreen? But I'm confused by people speaking of 'parking heater' and 'auxilary heater' and I don't know what this remote works on or how to use it!

IMG_0007.JPG

Can you tell me which heater you're meaning? I have an Ebespacher heater which we use when living in the van, and also a Webasto heater which I believe is something to do with pre-heating the coolant and windscreen? But I'm confused by people speaking of 'parking heater' and 'auxilary heater' and I don't know what this remote works on or how to use it!

View attachment 17947
Answered in your other thread.

I very smugly gave the heater remote a double press from our kitchen whilst having my breakfast. Thirty minutes later I left to take our grandchildren to school in a warm and fully de-iced vehicle. Luxury!

I have to leave very early tomorrow and hope to do the same - you say a double press, someone on another thread said press and hold - how can I find out which applies to mine?

Think I may have answered that question myself - go and try it. Think I'll leave it till morning now.

My neighbours were all scraping cars this morning when I got into my beach which was clear and warm. :-D i have a smart controller which has timer facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would have been even better if we could operate the engines heater and it would defrost the windows etc. The camping heater never fully defrosts them with a run time of 30 minutes.

It never gets that cold here in the UK, usually it is enough. If it was colder I may get a telestart on the coolant heater :D

I disagree.....I have a beach without said auxiliary Heater and it's fantastic......it really depends on how u use the vehicle, and generally how u camp. Generally I don't think u need it...Yes, it's a luxury and yes if u are sleeping out in depths of winter then I would imagine it's needed......I certainly haven't felt the need for it as of yet and I certainly wouldn't put someone off a VW California if it doesn't have an auxiliary heater.....especially with the additional cost....Nice to have....Yes. Stupid, cold and damp without it......definitely not and I think this gives the wrong impression.
Likewise I have bought a Beach without parking heater. Its fine apart from when temp drops to freezing. I have been looking into a retro fit for that reason, there is a company in Edenbridge that fits Webasto as per factory fit,

Back