Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California 6.1 Best ever version ?

Yes, great to drive and mechanically brilliant. But for the price the electronics are awful. Let me list the issues with my 2022 450 4motion Beach. The VW navigation system is clunky and old tech, the voice controls are useless. This wouldn’t be a problem if my car didn’t cancel Apple CarPlay on regular occasions. When it does this it resets after several minutes. Once it just went blank until I turned off the car and restarted. Once it started speaking to me in German. A couple of times it cancelled lane assist and cruise control until I restarted the car. A few times it did a very harsh emergency brake as I was parking, and once at traffic lights. Once it wouldn’t restart at lights. My adaptive cruise control detects cars in other lanes and slows to the speed of the slowest car around it. The auto high beam is random and works when it wants to and decides when it turns itself off. The steering wheel is not straight when the car is travelling forward.
Other than these frustratingly annoying things we love it, but only because it is a California. You expect much more for the price. I have owned 6 VW’s and am a tragic. I was intending to buy an ID4 next year for my wife, but not if they can’t fix the crap computers systems. VW needs to sack all of their software engineers and start over.
My recent work car was a Hyundai Santa Fe, brilliant electronics, VW should poach one of their software engineers, or one from any other car brand, they are all better than VW.
Zero major issues on our 22 6.1 which I’m sure means nothing to you.

You have a VW warranty and it’s down to them to make the fixable issues right. Unfortunately will always require massive effort on a customers part to do so but tenacity and sheer bloody mindedness will yield results.

Back