Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California 6.1 Best ever version ?

Trojax

Trojax

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Whilst I recognise VW and some customers have had some issues with the 6.1, but I absolutely adore ours from the Digital dash to the little torch I found today..I think that the issue is VW selling them for 72,000 plus raises customer expectations to perfection and rightly so, any issue is hard to deal with at this price point. But the 6.1 is awesome LOL

There is a YouTube video comparing the T6 to the T6.1. The T6 has a lot of good things like comfort dash and the covers over the hidey holes which the T6.1 doesn’t have. The T6.1 has better sliding doors than the dodgy tambour doors and the digital dash and digital overhead control system. It’s quite an intersting video if you are on the lookout for a T6 or T6.1. They are both great vehicles…….

Ah yeah I forgot about e footrest ……..

i changed from a T6 to a 6.1 but mainly because i wanted to change to a 4-motion Beach. (i'm super happy with this change) As far as the base vehicle is concerned I miss the T6 in many ways. I had a model with a very simple radio, and i mounted my phone with a charging Brodit mount. It meant my phone was right where i needed it and could see it, connected by bluetooth and it worked great. I don't mind android auto, but it's pretty annoying and not nearly as easy to use as just having my phone mounted right by the steering wheel. The dash of the T6.1 is really poor compared to the old one. The T6 has six useable, closeable storage areas and looked great, (i had it in red to match the van) the T6.1 has only one. Anything else on the dash slides around, falls off, and/or is visible reflected in the windscreen. I also don't care about the digital camper control unit really, i was happy with the old version, but i do find the new lighting system, the 'camping mode' really annoying. i'm constantly turning off all the back lights manually. The heating system takes about five more button presses to engage, and the remote control only runs the daft 'heat immediately' mode. The overall driving experience is pretty identical to my mind (and on the LHD version we still have a foot rest). I guess the T6.1 may be a little smoother, and it does seem to use less fuel, even in 4-motion. I like the fact that the AD blue only needs refilling every 25000km though, that's great!

I miss the alarm button but otherwise all good. Tho I have a habit as I'm short of pulling the door shut by the pocket and it's alarmingly flexible.

I miss the T6 in many ways. I had a model with a very simple radio, and i mounted my phone with a charging Brodit mount. It meant my phone was right where i needed it and could see it, connected by bluetooth and it worked great.
So what do you think there is on a T6.1 thats preventing you doing that? just set up the bluetooth connection for the phone & don't connect via CarPlay/ android auto.

So what do you think there is on a T6.1 thats preventing you doing that? just set up the bluetooth connection for the phone & don't connect via CarPlay/ android auto.
yes, that is probably what i will do. I'm just waiting on my brodit adaptor for the T6.1. The only problem is the adaptor is on the other side of the steering wheel for the T6.1 and i'm quite strongly right handed. Anyway, it's all good. i do love the van to bits and none of these things are really big issues for me, just mildly annoying. One thing though, on android auto, when you are using google maps, you can't then use it on your phone it seems, even when not moving, or if you pull over, so if you want, for example, to cut and paste in an address, that's just not possible.

yes, that is probably what i will do. I'm just waiting on my brodit adaptor for the T6.1. The only problem is the adaptor is on the other side of the steering wheel for the T6.1 and i'm quite strongly right handed. Anyway, it's all good. i do love the van to bits and none of these things are really big issues for me, just mildly annoying. One thing though, on android auto, when you are using google maps, you can't then use it on your phone it seems, even when not moving, or if you pull over, so if you want, for example, to cut and paste in an address, that's just not possible.
Be careful with phone mounts. Recent changes in the law could result in 6 points on your licence if you touch your phone whilst driving, hence the push for voice activation on head units.

Be careful with phone mounts. Recent changes in the law could result in 6 points on your licence if you touch your phone whilst driving, hence the push for voice activation on head units.
can you touch head units? (wait, this is a daft question, of course you can!)

Mmm possibly, didn’t think of that , just watched another YouTube video comparing T6 and T6.1s and it got mentioned the the LHD have it but could well be the wheel arch….

no, it's a proper, normal footrest with a pad on it.

I thought the centre console area was an issue on the T6.1 with limited space due to larger engine bay there so makes sense a footrest would work on a LHD model as it's the other side.

Whilst I recognise VW and some customers have had some issues with the 6.1, but I absolutely adore ours from the Digital dash to the little torch I found today..I think that the issue is VW selling them for 72,000 plus raises customer expectations to perfection and rightly so, any issue is hard to deal with at this price point. But the 6.1 is awesome LOL
I couldn’t agree more
I’ve had T5and T6 and the 6.1 is the ultimate
All digital 200 bhp.
40 + mpg… can’t ask for anything more

I recently drove to Gdansk Poland in mine 1,000 miles. awesome machine. I have only one negative and it only really applied when driving on the motorway in Germany you cant see far enough behind in the rear view mirror because of the aircraft locker.

Yes, great to drive and mechanically brilliant. But for the price the electronics are awful. Let me list the issues with my 2022 450 4motion Beach. The VW navigation system is clunky and old tech, the voice controls are useless. This wouldn’t be a problem if my car didn’t cancel Apple CarPlay on regular occasions. When it does this it resets after several minutes. Once it just went blank until I turned off the car and restarted. Once it started speaking to me in German. A couple of times it cancelled lane assist and cruise control until I restarted the car. A few times it did a very harsh emergency brake as I was parking, and once at traffic lights. Once it wouldn’t restart at lights. My adaptive cruise control detects cars in other lanes and slows to the speed of the slowest car around it. The auto high beam is random and works when it wants to and decides when it turns itself off. The steering wheel is not straight when the car is travelling forward.
Other than these frustratingly annoying things we love it, but only because it is a California. You expect much more for the price. I have owned 6 VW’s and am a tragic. I was intending to buy an ID4 next year for my wife, but not if they can’t fix the crap computers systems. VW needs to sack all of their software engineers and start over.
My recent work car was a Hyundai Santa Fe, brilliant electronics, VW should poach one of their software engineers, or one from any other car brand, they are all better than VW.

Yes, great to drive and mechanically brilliant. But for the price the electronics are awful. Let me list the issues with my 2022 450 4motion Beach. The VW navigation system is clunky and old tech, the voice controls are useless. This wouldn’t be a problem if my car didn’t cancel Apple CarPlay on regular occasions. When it does this it resets after several minutes. Once it just went blank until I turned off the car and restarted. Once it started speaking to me in German. A couple of times it cancelled lane assist and cruise control until I restarted the car. A few times it did a very harsh emergency brake as I was parking, and once at traffic lights. Once it wouldn’t restart at lights. My adaptive cruise control detects cars in other lanes and slows to the speed of the slowest car around it. The auto high beam is random and works when it wants to and decides when it turns itself off. The steering wheel is not straight when the car is travelling forward.
Other than these frustratingly annoying things we love it, but only because it is a California. You expect much more for the price. I have owned 6 VW’s and am a tragic. I was intending to buy an ID4 next year for my wife, but not if they can’t fix the crap computers systems. VW needs to sack all of their software engineers and start over.
My recent work car was a Hyundai Santa Fe, brilliant electronics, VW should poach one of their software engineers, or one from any other car brand, they are all better than VW.
Really sorry to hear this very sad story…. Heartbreaking after forking out £70 plus k
Having no problem with ours but guess I’m a little fortunate.
Get it sorted….Keep the faith and enjoy !
Good luck Geoff
Ps wish I had pushed the boat out and got a 4 motion.
Had a great time on a Dutch vw rally 2 weeks ago with Kever club Nederland. Thanks guys

Back