Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali technical tips&tricks

• Thread starter Hotel California
  • Start date
.... curiosity got the better of me. I just popped out to look and, @Tactical is indeed correct. Ours is brand new and I'm the only owner. Moving the seat forward until it hits the stop provides the correct position to make the bed.
And if you remove the stop all you have to do is move the seat forward, lower the back and then slide the seat back to touch the rear board, when making up the bed.

And if you remove the stop all you have to do is move the seat forward, lower the back and then slide the seat back to touch the rear board, when making up the bed.
I agree with that alternative approach WG.

However, I'd say "lower the back and then slide the seat back to just touch the rear board"

From my own experience, if you slide it back too hard then there is a risk that when you later raise the back (and have forgotten to slide the seat forward a little) the pressure on those pesky rubber buffers on the bed board will be enough to pull them out of their fittings.

Just something to watch out for.

.... suggesting you too have removed the stop?

I agree with that alternative approach WG.

However, I'd say "lower the back and then slide the seat back to just touch the rear board"

From my own experience, if you slide it back too hard then there is a risk that when you later raise the back (and have forgotten to slide the seat forward a little) the pressure on those pesky rubber buffers on the bed board will be enough to pull them out of their fittings.

Just something to watch out for.
I've replaced my stops with something similar from a Land Rover Defender, which are held on by a screw and washer from behind. . But I agree, you don't want to slide the bed back hard.

I broke the plastic seat back panel (£130) because I’ve removed the stop, so have to push it back into position once flat and it caught under the bed frame when I tried to raise the bed in the morning. I now know to slide it forwards before trying to raise the seat back.

Not having the stop is useful though as it creates a huge area at the rear for moving stuff plus it gives easy access to the jack and toolkit through the side door, avoiding the need to empty the underbed storage area.

those pesky rubber buffers on the bed board will be enough to pull them out of their fittings.
BTW, if your rubber cones are missing (like mine!) and you push the seat right back the seat belts can jam against the rear shelf. Something to watch out for.

Before Stop Removal.jpg After Stop Removal.jpg

The first image is before I removed the stop. The second after
2-3 minutes to remove the stop and access to the rear is significantly easier

Was visiting CCN just yesterday and the evening before there was yet another "technical info evening" and some bits where still on display...
A cut open fridge
IMG_9951.JPG
IMG_9953.JPG
IMG_9952.JPG

And the inside view of the fresh watertank where the gasbotlle fits in
IMG_9947.JPG
IMG_9948.JPG
IMG_9949.JPG

View of a Cali without seats...
IMG_9944.JPG
IMG_9938.JPG
IMG_9939.JPG

Also they had some nice new fabric witch they used for pillows and sheets ....
This they sold as a shade blanket...

IMG_9950.JPG

Theire website is recent updated and features some nice video's , but all in Dutch ...
https://www.campercentrumnederland.nl/#ontdek

Last edited:
Here is a tip I use to give more flexibility in the Cali, it needs a mod which costs nothing and takes about five minutes to do.

The picture below shows the rear seat slid right forward, giving access to the rear. This is handy to use the loo when travelling, just slide it forward from under the rear shelf, drop the blinds, and thro a blanket over the headrests.

It’s also useful to carry furniture etc around! Also gives easy access to the tool kit when the boot is full of stuff.

View attachment 31934

To enable the seat to be slid this far forward the stop (below) has to be removed. This is located in the rail nearest the kitchen, about 30 cms from the front. Slide a screwdriver along to locate it, then unscrew it.

View attachment 31935

To remove the stop after it has been unscrewed, you have to remove the plastic trim at the front of the rail, then slide the stop forward. The plastic trim can be removed by levering carefully up at the front.

View attachment 31936

Keep the stop somewhere safe in case it’s needed, pop the trim back rear end first and tap down at the front. That’s it, now you can use the loo :thumb

Hey guys, I know this post is old but hopefully someone can help. Where am I looking to find this stop? I have prised off the plastic end cap and shone a light along but can see no stop with a screw head in it. Just a kind of plain aluminium or steel mushroom that looks embedded in the base of the rail

Front one in your van if still fitted should be in the rail nearest the sink. Just drop a screwdriver in the slot in the rails & run it along the slot , you can't miss it.
If you still can't find it slide the bench forward till you hit it, at that point it will be a couple of inches back from the front of the seat.

@LRGS253 , glad to hear this :thumb
This post is old and pictures of a T5 but still so much to see that’s still usefull even in the T6.1
We made it a sticky post back then so it stays on top of the list but to little people do the effort of reading older post and learn from it .
Much easyer to post new threads over and over again regarding thesame issues , the forum is filled with a question to many answers if you look things up.

Back