Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Skiing

Brian’s Dad

Brian’s Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We're thinking about driving to the Alps for skiing this year.

Couple of reasons, fancy giving it a go in the Cali plus a bit more flexibility with COVID.

Logistics, think we'll need a roof topper, duct the heating upstairs and some snow chains (all pretty simple), we've already got snow rated tyres.

It appears there are some ski resorts with car parks with EHU, showers, toilets, ski lockers etc. I think if we can find somewhere like this it will be a good fun adventure. Any suggestions on locations? We'll probably leave Friday back the following Sunday (late Jan).

Thanks in advance!

Someone must have some thoughts on this?

Zugspitz resort. Cable car across the road. Nice bar. Amazing showers etc. Topper is a good idea. Keeps Ice and snow out the roof mechanism as well as keeping warm. You dont need to duct heat upstairs. The topper and a good quilt was more than enough for me. You could use an electric blanket on hook up

IMG_20200221_153452.jpg

Here's a couple of previous posts -

Here's a couple of previous posts -
Thanks, I was trying to work out what the threads would be called

Last year we spent a couple of nights stealth camping next to cable cars in Austria. You can use the restrooms there, and we can go a couple of nights without showering (baby wipes ftw).
For a longer period, we'd be looking for a campspot with a spa (also to pass the long winter nights).

We slept downstairs, and we shoved the hardwear (skis, poles, boots) under the Cali.

This year we've upgraded the Cali with roof bars and rack to stow the hardwear more safely and we plan to spend more nigts away tour-skiing.

I can recommend this campsite near St Anton, brilliant private shower / bathroom / washing up sink for every pitch, free ski bus stops out side the campsite, swimming pool next door, what's not to like. https://www.camping-arlberg.at/

I'd spotted this one, did you drive from England?

And there’s this thread as well.
Have also skied and camped at Val Cenis. Quite a bit cheaper than Pettneu but no private bathroom!

I'd spotted this one, did you drive from England?
From Scotland, did the Hull Zeebrugge crossing. Note there are two levels of private facilities, we went for the better of the two, not much more. The heater ski lockers have boot warmers, bliss. You pay for the electricity used but found it not too expensive.

Does anyone know of anything similar to camping Alberg with private facilities anywhere else in the Alps?

Vicarious Books publish a guide, All the aires: mountains, which lists (it says) 191 aires & 81 campsites.

Might give this a try next March, but I'm not hardy enough for camping in a small vehicle in really cold weather.

Tirol.

The last time we camped there they were fully booked
but let us stay near the entrance with hook up.

Essential for me is a drying room, pool and a good restaurant.

There is a municipal campsite at Samoens which we had 6 nights at in 2018. It has a ski locker where you can leave skis and boots and is a short walk to the gondola so you don't need to drive anywhere.

There is a municipal campsite at Samoens which we had 6 nights at in 2018. It has a ski locker where you can leave skis and boots and is a short walk to the gondola so you don't need to drive anywhere.
This is a great site and location. We drive our Cali from Calais and it’s such an easy drive - 8 hours. We haven’t stayed at the site but stay in an apartment in Morillon which is part of the linked ski area. The ski bus will also get you into town in a couple of minutes if you don’t fancy the walk.

There’s an excellent website and Facebook group (search for winterised) with loads of advice on places to stay
I can recommend the aire at Les Menuires in the 3 Valleys. Spent a week there last Xmas. There are water/electric facilities but no toilets (similar to most aires). About 150metres away is a swimming pool and spa. We bought a weeks pass and used showers there. The van was warm enough without any extra insulation- all we had was a very thick duvet.

There’s an excellent website and Facebook group (search for winterised) with loads of advice on places to stay
I can recommend the aire at Les Menuires in the 3 Valleys. Spent a week there last Xmas. There are water/electric facilities but no toilets (similar to most aires). About 150metres away is a swimming pool and spa. We bought a weeks pass and used showers there. The van was warm enough without any extra insulation- all we had was a very thick duvet.
Thoroughly recommend winterised.com it’s the skiing equivalent of this forum!