Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Purchase thoughts?

J

Jazbee

Hi all, I've been lurking about here for a while. Been waying up a Cali against a full blown motorhome. I am pretty much convinced the Cali is the way to go, I've had a T25 in the past which I loved. A question for the recent buyers is how 'flexible" are the dealers on price? Whats the average price being paid for a new Cali?
thanks all........ :D

Welcome,

I think if you assume 8% is the dealer margin in a new vehicle you won't go far wrong.

Some people have been able to exceed that but this means finding the right dealer, at the right time who most likely needs to sell a 'unit' to move closer to a volume bonus target or needs to move a stock vehicle that is due for payment.

A good benchmark is Drive the Deal or Autoebid to generate a ball park price and then try to find a dealer to match.

Because the Cali is a niche market you need to be prepared to buy nationally.

We just ordered this week and got 12% off list price :barmy

We used drive the deal to get a price then took it to a couple of dealers to see if they would price match. One dealer couldn't quite match but was close enough that I would probably have ordered, but our local dealer in bristol did a price match so he got the order. By the way, our local dealer didn't even want the full blown drive the deal quote (ie the bit you have to pay for) just wanted the details of the spec and the price which I sent as a 'screen shot' on an email.

We are over the moon, we have ordered a brand new Cali for what we were expecting to pay for a second hand purchase.

It's definitely worth hunting around

Thats interesting fella ...the dealer must be making a slight loss on your cali then or,as VW don't give the dealers that much in a cali unless they have changed the way they do things now being it at the end of season or the dealer needed to shift a cali . :?: :?:

I'm sure someone will come and correct me soon enough :smile

Bjohnson said:

You've done well there for a factory order. I'd say the dealer is taking a bit of a gamble on getting some back end money and perhaps some finance commission if you've taken it.

When calculating discounts the discount should be subtracted from the basic (Ex Vat) price and should not be applied to dealer fit accessories or the OTR costs.

Jazbee I think Bristol should be your first phone call!! :laugh2

choplee said:
Thats interesting fella ...the dealer must be making a slight loss on your cali then or,as VW don't give the dealers that much in a cali unless they have changed the way they do things now being it at the end of season or the dealer needed to shift a cali . :?: :?:

I'm sure someone will come and correct me soon enough :smile

He did say hes not making any money on it! But he must be making something in order to make it worthwhile supplying it in the first place. We don't have a delivery time or build date yet, I'm expecting that in the next week or so.

Our dealer has a reasonable amount of stock available (apparently) but nothing that matched our spec, so our order should be a factory order.

Stu said:
Bjohnson said:

You've done well there for a factory order. I'd say the dealer is taking a bit of a gamble on getting some back end money and perhaps some finance commission if you've taken it.

When calculating discounts the discount should be subtracted from the basic (Ex Vat) price and should not be applied to dealer fit accessories or the OTR costs.

Jazbee I think Bristol should be your first phone call!! :laugh2

Probably worth me clarifying that we haven't done finance and the 12% is the straight difference between the vw list price and the drive the deal price, both of which are OTR costs, delivered, including VAT etc

In that case even better because your net discount is going to be greater than 12%!!

Definitely worth calling the Bristol dealer. He said he'd match the price without even seeing it :eek:

I think someone else on here had the same deal, as I read about drive the deal and price matching at the Bristol dealership that had been posted previously. Without that vital bit of information I had previously been getting (fairly standard) 5% net discounts from dealers on new Cali quotes so the delta between new and second hand calis was significantly larger.

Without this approach we would definitely still have been buying second hand.

Stu said:
In that case even better because your net discount is going to be greater than 12%!!

So everyone to Vw Bristol for their next Cali then :)

My calculations would have -

SE 180 DSG £38,519.17
Reflex Silver £495.83
Privacy glass £245.83
detachable tow bar £470.83
front and rear parking sensors £350
cruise control £179.17
multi function steering wheel £162.50
Silver Awning £485.33

Total (Ex VAT) £40,908.66
Total (Inc VAT) £49,090.39

OTR & Delivery £977.00 Inc VAT

Total £50,067.39 OTR

Less 12% suggests your are paying £44,059.31 OTR, a healthy £6k discount. cool

Stu said:

SE 180 DSG £38,519.17
Reflex Silver £495.83
Privacy glass £245.83
cruise control £179.17
Silver Awning £485.33

Total £50,067.39 OTR

I think we all would have loved to have that deal and would have all the dealers running for cover :) lol

Stu said:

SE 180 DSG £38,519.17
Reflex Silver £495.83
Privacy glass £245.83
cruise control £179.17
Silver Awning £485.33

Total £50,067.39 OTR

You're not far off, all I need now is for the tax man to reduce vat to boost the economy before I collect it and it will be a double bonus :smile

Back in December last year when we ordered our California VW in Liverpool matched the Drive the Deal price and Sheffield were about £300 over. We went with Sheffield as it was closer.

Hi all

I managed to get the same deal as above from Lister vw in Worcester, They matched drive the deal (just over 12% off) pick my baby up last Saturday. As the dealer was one of the busfest sponser we also got two free weekend passes to busfest :barmy

Cali has to go back to the dealer though for a couple on minor marks but nothing big.

Steve