Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali or an F type

You should have kept the Exige! I've had this series 1 from new and prices are starting to rocket!
full

Is it still running the VHPD ? One of my many lotus was a 135R with s/c honda, quick but I hated it. Favourite was an S1 with Kiwirog non vvc 160 and B4BP plus a few other bits.

IMGP1723.JPG
It was my third Lotus and we were ready for a change to something a bit different so it was sold to finance the F Type. Wish I had both but that's just spoilt.

I have also had three and dont miss any of them. Wore me down in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it still running the VHPD ? One of my many lotus was a 135R with s/c honda, quick but I hated it. Favourite was an S1 with Kiwirog non vvc 160 and B4BP plus a few other bits.

Yes but with timed verniers, Emerald ECU, a decent map, 42mm throttle bodies and some proper trumpets.

I purchased a CAT D S1 Elise last night with a view to put a Hyabusa engine in to it. My Yamaha R1 powered Mk1 Mini goes like sh1t off a chrome shovel.

I had a Busa Westfield the engine is the daddy for sure with proper low end grunt. Had some yoshi cams but never fitted them as it went well enough weighed 375kg with a full tank ! Went on to claim knockhill class record by some margin driven by a hillclimb champion mind - not me.

Still have one with a fireblade 900 in it.

I had an Emerald on my S1 160 kiwirog head, newman cams, vibration free balance etc ,also with a 50mm throttle body I made myself figuring 48 was small and 52 big, looked nice but a waste of effort I guess

I have a mini also but 1310 cc - show car. My mate has one with the BMW k 16v head - 135 bhp.

If it was an every day user I'd probably go insane but it's for the occasional track day and country road blasts

Mine was always a toy. I just couldnt get the aero right over 140 at the Ring with the honda and spent all my time thinking about going and stopping the corners could no longer be strung together. Then there were the endless re engineering man hrs.

Mate has a black s1 exige like yours but doesnt get out much now he races a radical.

A53849A3-6D9E-48B3-975A-446781BF9F8A.jpeg One should leave bike engines where they belong... in bikes. Having said that... Ducati Superleggere powered concept VW looks cool

A Cali is a way of life, not a corporate decision, dichotomy Yes, but that needs to sit with you comfortably! No one can tell you what’s right for you? Only you can do the right thing for you

I had an new F Type and really enjoyed it, whilst not at work, I actually was so worried about leaving it in multi-storey car parks and fed up sitting bumper to bumper in traffic travelling into the city, I brought a VW Fox to use instead.
So my lovely car sat on the drive till the weekend and most of mileage was done in a car that was more useable. I have two dogs which would also travel in the Fox so even at weekends I would use that.
I had the convertible the down side was the phone was always difficult to use on motorways so gave up having business conversations during travel. It isn’t a city car and I was so stressed by some people’s behaviours whilst driving in the city - I didn’t care about the Fox so much more relaxed.
The deprecation on the F Type is also huge, maybe you get a good value second hand one?
I totally understand the urge and I would wait until you retire and really enjoy it.
The Cali is also very precious it would be same to pile the miles onto that but it’s more useful to you and so much fun whilst you’re off work. I have a velar I use for work but even that is still a waste for all those miles really - perhaps the VW polo/golf is an option, not helpful possibly just my thoughts.

I had an new F Type and really enjoyed it, whilst not at work, I actually was so worried about leaving it in multi-storey car parks and fed up sitting bumper to bumper in traffic travelling into the city, I brought a VW Fox to use instead.
So my lovely car sat on the drive till the weekend and most of mileage was done in a car that was more useable. I have two dogs which would also travel in the Fox so even at weekends I would use that.
I had the convertible the down side was the phone was always difficult to use on motorways so gave up having business conversations during travel. It isn’t a city car and I was so stressed by some people’s behaviours whilst driving in the city - I didn’t care about the Fox so much more relaxed. My husband had a Sportbrake XF Portofolio which was a dream to drive and if he wasn’t using it I was, again totally different car.
The deprecation on the F Type is also huge, maybe you get a good value second hand one?
I totally understand the urge and I would wait until you retire and really enjoy it.
The Cali is also very precious it would be same to pile the miles onto that but it’s more useful to you and so much fun whilst you’re off work. I have a velar I use for work but even that is still a waste for all those miles really - perhaps the VW polo/golf is an option, not helpful possibly just my thoughts.

Hi all please dont hate me or think I’m pretensious.

I’ve worked hard - saved my money & I’m in my early fifties and have a decision to make.

Having survived a painful corporate re structure just before Xmas I’m now looking to order my last daily driver before I retire ( so next 4 years or so).
Although completely different vehicles a fully loaded Cali an an f type are almost same price.

So here goes - just looking for honest practical comments suggestions ect

Cali pros
I’ve had a t2 so love the brand and vans (but it was a 3rd vehicle) we have a dog who we adore (kids are all grown up) we like camping and travelling and really want to explore Uk. I’ve test driven the Cali and specced in on the configurator a 100 times.

Cons
I do 20k miles business a year - Park a lot in city centres or multi stories height restriction is the main worry as well as 4-5 hours three times a week driving behind the wheel.

For the F type
Pros Same cost to buy. Looks sound and drives amazing.

Cons
Can’t really take dog and there is no storage in the cabriolet what so ever.

Thanks in advance and this is a guenuine dilemma for me - do I get the f type now and a Cali later when I retire? Or do I just go the Cali now and live with parking restrictions ect.

I’ve worked hard - saved my money & I’m in my early fifties and have a decision to make.

Having survived a painful corporate re structure just before Xmas I’m now looking to order my last daily driver before I retire ( so next 4 years or so).
Although completely different vehicles a fully loaded Cali an an f type are almost same price.

Cali pros
I’ve had a t2 so love the brand and vans (but it was a 3rd vehicle) we have a dog who we adore (kids are all grown up) we like camping and travelling and really want to explore Uk. I’ve test driven the Cali and specced in on the configurator a 100 times.

Cons
I do 20k miles business a year - Park a lot in city centres or multi stories height restriction is the main worry as well as 4-5 hours three times a week driving behind the wheel.

For the F type

Cons

Thanks in advance and this is a guenuine dilemma for me - do I get the f type now and a Cali later when I retire? Or do I just go the Cali now and live with parking restrictions ect.

Cali pros

Cons

For the F type

Cons

I have a 2018 California Ocean 4motion. Whilst not having the performance of the F type it is fairly nippy!
It is half a meter longer than the F type but not as wide. At a nominal height of 1.99 meters it can enter most car parks. Mine is fitted with VB air suspension which in carpark mode lowers the vehicle by 60mm. I live in an apartment and have no trouble parking. On cold mornings when I get up the first thing I do after putting on the kettle is to fire up the heater by the remote control fob so the windows are free of ice by the time I'm ready to go.

Finally made my decision and I must say forum has helped a great deal.
Before my post of was edging towards the F type after a nice test drive.
Since reading all the comments and a great deal of reflection I’ve decided to go for the Cali.

I would rather have a vehicle that suits my leisure pursuits and is a compromise for day job (despite the miles) than one that suits work and compromises my hobbies (walking with dog, camping, traveling etc).

Will post ordered spec Saturday or Sunday :thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks

Finally made my decision and I must say forum has helped a great deal.
Before my post of was edging towards the F type after a nice test drive.
Since reading all the comments and a great deal of reflection I’ve decided to go for the Cali.

I would rather have a vehicle that suits my leisure pursuits and is a compromise for day job (despite the miles) than one that suits work and compromises my hobbies (walking with dog, camping, traveling etc).

Will post ordered spec Saturday or Sunday :thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks:thanks

Congratulations, I don’t think you will regret that choice.

Thank you Perfectos - I’ll let you spec when order completed :cheers
Hi Gvick! At the same time as you were deciding what vehicle to get, I was thinking of getting a Mitsubishi PHEV; even got as far as speccing one. What was I thinking of? The California I have is fairly high spec and I've put some extras in as well: Solar panel (thanks Roger Donoghue), VB air suspension and an independent air conditioning unit which runs off the leisure batteries (Indel B sleeping well cube). The last one is great for keeping cool at night without the ingress of mossies although a little cumbersome.
The heating in the flat packed up Monday and whilst waiting for repairs I have a warm California outside! Another positive is when friends come to stay I have an extra bedroom outside!
I look forward to seeing your spec.

So..........

Placed order today at VW Bury StEdmunds - deposit paid :thumb
Spec is
194 4motion Ocean
Candy white and cherry red two tone
Tow bar prep
80l tank
Bed extension mattress
Locakable safe
Mud flaps
Chrome package
Decorative insert in lower colour
Four keys
Front and rear sensors rear camera
Magnetic flash light
Interior lighting and shower (for dog paws)
Privacy glass
Led headlights
Adaptive cruise
Side scan radar
Extended five year warranty.

Discount just over 6%.

Should be due May/June
:upsidedown

So..........

Spec is
194 4motion Ocean
Tow bar prep
80l tank
Bed extension mattress
Locakable safe
Mud flaps
Chrome package
Four keys
Magnetic flash light
Privacy glass
Led headlights
Adaptive cruise
Side scan radar

Discount just over 6%.

Should be due May/June

Fantastic, nice spec, That will be one nice Cali, i nearly went for a red / white combo, OH prefered metallic single colour.

You may want to check out some other posts on the mag flash light at the rear of the passengers seat base ( have you seen one ?) expensive and possibly unnecessary! You do get a flash light for the cigarette lighter socket as standard. Possibly save yourself a few pennies for other stuff !

Are dealers still doing the reduced cost servicing offer? From memory approx £300 for two services ? Well worth the expense

Link from this site
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/got-it-yesterday-need-help-with-the-torch.9303/

This is the standard one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AVYP1K4/?tag=eliteelect-21

Last edited:
Fantastic, nice spec, That will be one nice Cali, i nearly went for a red / white combo, OH prefered metallic single colour.

You may want to check out some other posts on the mag flash light at the rear of the passengers seat base ( have you seen one ?) expensive and possibly unnecessary! You do get a flash light for the cigarette lighter socket as standard. Possibly save yourself a few pennies for other stuff !

Are dealers still doing the reduced cost servicing offer? From memory approx £300 for two services ? Well worth the expense

Link from this site
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/got-it-yesterday-need-help-with-the-torch.9303/

This is the standard one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AVYP1K4/?tag=eliteelect-21
Hi Perfectos
Yes £300 for two services but dealer said to buy it a few weeks before I need a service. Good point about flashlights. Total Vw deposit contribution is £1,000.

Hi Perfectos
Yes £300 for two services but dealer said to buy it a few weeks before I need a service. Good point about flashlights. Total Vw deposit contribution is £1,000.

Hi Gvick

As far as I am aware you cannot purchase the 2x service for £300 as and when a service is due? otherwise everyone would do it to save a packet on a rolling basis!
DYOR but be wary as this is a promo which is withdrawn from time to time and the dealer will try to sell you a service agreement at a much higher cost, if you can afford it tack it onto your order info as a separate purchase and pay for it when you get the van.

So..........

Spec is
194 4motion Ocean
Tow bar prep
80l tank
Bed extension mattress
Locakable safe
Mud flaps
Chrome package
Four keys
Magnetic flash light
Privacy glass
Led headlights
Adaptive cruise
Side scan radar

Discount just over 6%.

Should be due May/June
Spot on gvick; Similar spec to mine. Hope you get as much enjoyment as I'm having!

Latest update
Build week 15 - 8th April confirmed
Now code 20- in build
Expect 4 weeks in build and delivery end May beginning of June.
This is my first private car I’ve ever ordered from new and the longest wait - it definitely adds to the whole Cali experience :thumb:thumb:thumb

By the time your Cali arrives, JLR might be out of business. :). So you probably made the right choice.

Back